Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Also, what's with people thinking the only "subtropical vegetation" is palm trees?
And why are date palms (native to arid regions) the measure of a humid subtropical climate? The US South has some of the most unique vegetation in the world, but it's often dismissed just because of its hardiness.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:54 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
And why are date palms (native to arid regions) the measure of a humid subtropical climate? The US South has some of the most unique vegetation in the world, but it's often dismissed just because of its hardiness.
I don't get it either, also I don't quite understand why so many palm enthusiasts act as if everyone should jerk off to palms too. The amount of "OMG why would you like that climate if it can't grow palms" or "why don't they line the streets with palms if the climate is capable of it" comments on this forum is almost stupid. Is it really that hard to understand that not everyone cares about palm trees? Lol.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I don't get it either, also I don't quite understand why so many palm enthusiasts act as if everyone should jerk off to palms too. The amount of "OMG why would you like that climate if it can't grow palms" or "why don't they line the streets with palms if the climate is capable of it" comments on this forum is almost stupid. Is it really that hard to understand that not everyone cares about palm trees? Lol.
I love sabal palms. They are more appealing to me than phoenix palms.

And of course, the pine forests and live oak are beautiful as well.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:09 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
The problem I have with the many people trying to redefine "subtropical" to mean places that get next to no cold days per year is that it basically limits the "subtropics" to two extremely thin bands between the tropics and temperate zones. I think that people focus too much on the "tropical" part and not enough on the "sub". These people always complain about subtropical cities having subzero record lows, yet they never complain about subarctic cities such as Yellowknife having record highs in the 90s. The way I view a subtropical climate is that it is dominated by warmth in the same way that a subarctic climate is dominated by cold even though they both have short seasons that go against their overall trends.
Not comparable at all! The subtropics dropping down to well below freezing is a killer. A 90F day in the subarctic biome is just one day out of the ordinary, a 20F night in the subtropics may kill all your fruit.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Not comparable at all! The subtropics dropping down to well below freezing is a killer. A 90F day in the subarctic biome is just one day out of the ordinary, a 20F night in the subtropics may kill all your fruit.
So, once again, it's a gardening argument rather than a climate one.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Is this sarcastic? Asserting that you should have a garden in a subtropical climate in winter is as ridiculous as saying you couldn't grow anything in a subarctic summer. Again it's SUB tropical....not completely tropical. You likely wouldn't have a garden in Atlanta or Birmingham in winter but to say they aren't subtropical is quite ridiculous. Anyways with already bare vegetation in winter, a 20 F low wouldn't really affect anything that much.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
December 2015

Old 11-23-2016, 01:42 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Is this sarcastic? Asserting that you should have a garden in a subtropical climate in winter is as ridiculous as saying you couldn't grow anything in a subarctic summer. Again it's SUB tropical....not completely tropical. You likely wouldn't have a garden in Atlanta or Birmingham in winter but to say they aren't subtropical is quite ridiculous. Anyways with already bare vegetation in winter, a 20 F low wouldn't really affect anything that much.
Some people manage to pull off winter gardening with things like peas. Camellias and roses are blooming right now here.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
I agree. You can't compare the two (i.e., warm anomalies to cold ones). It's apples to oranges. What use are climate classifications if they don't pertain to things that matter to people, like agriculture?

Old 11-23-2016, 01:54 PM

I don't understand why people act as if you have a garden year round in all subtropical climates a 20 F low in a place like Jackson, MS would do absolutely nothing to affect the vegetation there. Jackson, MS is pretty much the archetype for subtropical also.

Just like a 90 F high in Yakutsk in July wouldn't do anything to the vegetation. I'm not really seeing how it's apples to oranges it's the same thing just the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather