Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
All of these look incredibly promising after what we suffered through in December and early January.

Lets hope for this

https://twitter.com/judah47/status/819196790775967744
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 AM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yeah, maybe. February is what I'm thinking. But still - looks like we may still get some action here in the near future: 1-3 inches of snow still being forecast for my area for Saturday.
Good luck, it actually might miss me to the south. So hopefully you get some.

Forecast max temps tomorrow. SPRING

Forecast High Temperature Maps - AerisWeather

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Oh God, the palmtalk forum is going down hill. One guy said DC sees 80 in winter and coldepoch Antony is up to his build a wall over Canada rhetoric.flamingalah your forum has been invaded.

Small Area of Zone 10a In Lousisana - WEATHER / CLIMATE - PalmTalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Epoch Anthony
Exactly, imagine how tropical the South would have been had the North American continent had some protective factor: mountains, huge water bodies, replacement of much of Canada with open ocean (most ideal form of protection). I've checked temps for places like NOLA, H-Town, etc; these cities can see lows near 70F, even in the middle of January. Now think about the fact that those are the types of lows that would be constant experience if the cold-fronts were removed from the equation; H-Town, NOLA, even Myrtle Beach would be having full blown tropical climates.
Yeah, keep dreaming Anthony. The only place in the US south that will remain tropical is the southern half of Florida. He's just salty that Houston saw two hard freezing nights in a row this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Epoch Anthony
Brisbane is a bit closer to the equator than Houston is, around the latitude of Corpus and Tampa. Match-to-match, Durban in South Africa is exactly at Houston's latitude; it's record low is above freezing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durban

But yes, the point still stands regardless. Overall, I admit that I am salty, when the only thing keeping Houston, New Orleans, etc, from cultivating cool tropicals comes down, like what, once a year at most? The only solutions are as follows:

- Convince Donald Trump to build the wall along northern Canada, and super-size it Game-of-Thrones style.

- Advance genetic technology, so that tropicals can be spliced with "anti-freeze" genes.
Or how about move farther south where the climate is actually tropical? Cancun would be nice. Better brush up on that Spanish.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
We actually had a thunderstorm and some severe thunderstorm warnings across central Indiana last night. Not unheard of but still quite rare in mid-January. A possible ice storm is coming this weekend, though there is still much uncertainty as we'll be right on the boundary because below freezing and above freezing. Temperatures in the 50s this week and even 60 today warming the ground up could hinder ice accumulation as well.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Yeah, keep dreaming Anthony. The only place in the US south that will remain tropical is the southern half of Florida. He's just salty that Houston saw two hard freezing nights in a row this month.

Or how about move farther south where the climate is actually tropical? Cancun would be nice. Better brush up on that Spanish.
Lol, he doesn't realize climate doesn't work the way he thinks it does. Even with a big mountain range the best he can get is maybe corpus Cristi to be tropical and that's only if we assume that the southern climates warm. So many other factors become apparent with a mountain range like that. Will summers cool due to a strengthening of the North American monsoon because of the massive mountain range?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Bastardi is gambling on a PV displacement over the next couple of weeks, which if it does occur would send cold down to the mid latitudes during early February onwards... We shall see.
It seems likely to me that 2017 will end up being one of those winters with a first cold then warm but relatively ho-hum pattern throughout the early and middle winter followed by an outpouring of cold air and more severe winter weather in late winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
All of these look incredibly promising after what we suffered through in December and early January.
Indeed. I bet this is the lull before the pattern change - a midwinter thaw if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Garbage pattern, headed north to actually see what winter should be like this weekend! Can't stand the garbage #$%@ weather that passes for "winter" in the Upper South and Lower Midwest.
I like to call it a three-month mud season, which I have a very unfavorable opinion of. Heading northward just seems to be in the air this winter in that part of the country - for example, just this December one of the guys on a Tennessee weather forum bolted to his new winter home in Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
PRETTY!! Big 988mb storm over Wisconsin heading to Ontario then Hudson Bay.

For here...
Isn't it pretty - beauty and harmony is to be found in nature in abundance.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Oh God, the palmtalk forum is going down hill. One guy said DC sees 80 in winter and coldepoch Antony is up to his build a wall over Canada rhetoric.flamingalah your forum has been invaded.

Small Area of Zone 10a In Lousisana - WEATHER / CLIMATE - PalmTalk
Yep, he's trying his bull on there now Hopefully someone will put him in his place, I don't have the energy lol...

Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

Indeed. I bet this is the lull before the pattern change - a midwinter thaw if you will.

I wasn't talking about the cold recorded in the north during that time period. I was talking about the record heat experienced in my locale, even those maps showing above average temps translate to lows in the upper 60's and highs in the mid 70's, not lows in the mid 70's and highs in the low 80's like we had in December.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:15 PM

1pm CST temps. Just playing around with the 2m Temp color table a bit.

I Like how the Sub zero and 80s temps pops on the eyes, not sure about the 40s

Closeup.. WOW!! 70s and 20s not far apart in Kansas.

Without colors but with Satellite on

Teens and sunny in Nebraska. 51° here

Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Driving with window open and in short sleeves. I didn't expect 50s today too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather