Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Phoenix does look super bland, Downtown is just parking lots and office buildings. The skyline is really sad for a city of its size honestly, looks like a skyline you would see in a city of 200k people

Houston seems a bit more metropolitan downtown, with some actual office towers and a lot more street level activity. The food in Houston is amazing too. That said Houston downtown is also very sad for a city of its size. Houston's downtown is like a lego set compared to Chicago, even tho both cities are a similar size. Even Boston which has a third of the population of Houston has a much better downtown

No city in Texas or anywhere in the South can hold a candle to Boston. It is the gem city of the Northeast US and of the US in general. Much more European in feel and culture than horrid sprawled cities like Atlanta or Dallas. Ugh. At least in Boston they appreciate and believe in public transport. Can't say the same for those awful sunbelt cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Not even. Lack of humidity is overrated when you consider.

A. It means far less rain. I love rain. Rain keeps things green.
B. It means more wrinkly skin.
C. It means you get dehydrated. I've been in high heat and low humidity and though the temp wasn't too bad, it really made my mouth dry and I craved water a lot more than with humid heat.
D. The desert sun does not go good with my skin. It BURNS.

Not all days in the DFW area are even all that hot in the summer. Lately our highs have been between 80 and 90 which are very doable. The other day it was cloudy, rainy and only maxed out to 78, it was amazing.

Also the heat in Dallas is pretty much gone in October. It lasts longer in Phoenix.

Not seeing snow or frosts is a negative to me. Like Shania Twain said "That don't impress me much" LOL. I grew up in South Florida, I never saw snow until I was 15 years old. You really think "But it doesn't snow in Phoenix" is a draw to me? I had more than enough snowless winters for me. It took my first real snowfall in the mountains of Tennessee before I realised how much nicer cold weather is than hot, for me. That's why I MUCH prefer north Texas, which btw is hardly all that cold and even less snowy, than Florida or Phoenix which is like a furnace. At least Miami has beaches and summer rains. Yes, humidity sucks but it still beats living on a frying pan.
Yeah, well, I grew up in Rochester, NY which means in the 18 years I lived there, I saw approx 1,800"/150 ft of snow, more than enough to last a lifetime. I don't ever want to see another flake of snow for as long as I f@$!#ng live, is that clear enough?!?!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The downtown area and other denser areas, maybe. The suburban areas though, is an endless see of orange roofs, beige stucco walls mixed with tacky and overly bright blues and greens, and unsightly oranges, and over priced one storey houses with generally bad landscaping. The biggest exception is the lush canopies of live oaks and other trees in many parts of Coral Gables.
Brickell, South Beach, and Sunny Isles.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
No city in Texas or anywhere in the South can hold a candle to Boston. It is the gem city of the Northeast US and of the US in general. Much more European in feel and culture than horrid sprawled cities like Atlanta or Dallas. Ugh. At least in Boston they appreciate and believe in public transport. Can't say the same for those awful sunbelt cities.
Boston is the Pearl of the Atlantic. It's not the biggest city in the world, but it is one of the most charming, interesting, and eclectic. There's something about Boston that will make it hard to forget, maybe the beautiful brownstones in Beacon Hill and Back Bay, or the gritty winding alleys of the North End, or the countless colleges and museums and parks that you can find on almost every corner, or maybe even the New England charm of one of the neighborhoods on the edge of the city. Boston really doesn't feel like the rest of the US, if you told me it was a different country I would completely believe you

Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:

Not every city in the south is a new sunbelt city. Charleston, Alexandria, Savannah,Richmond,Virginia horse country ,new orleans etc. have beautiful architecture and most have very mild winters but there is nothing european or asian about any american city and public transportation. European and asian mass transit is on a whole different level than any american city, mass transit in America is awful

Nyc is probably the only thing close to Europe and Asia and the infrastructure is just so old. compare landing in a place like laguardia to landing in a European or asian major city like tokyo,seoul,etc. There are modern airports and clean and efficient rail, very clean subways , from the minute you land. the minute you land in laguardia if feels like a third world airport, no rail link to the city. This is americas richest city by far.

san Francisco muni is awful too and the rent in places like manhattan and san fran is like $3500 /3100 euros to $4000 easy

A 900 square foot in seoul is $1370, a 900 square foot in tokyo is around $2000,in taipei its around $1,500, singapore is 2,000. They have clean ,efficient mass transit with low crime and most these cities are far more futuristic than any bloated, overpriced american city.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Not every city in the south is a new sunbelt city. Charleston, Alexandria, Savannah,Richmond,Virginia horse country ,new orleans etc. have beautiful architecture and most have very mild winters but there is nothing european or asian about any american city and public transportation. European and asian mass transit is on a whole different level than any american city, mass transit in America is awful

Nyc is probably the only thing close to Europe and Asia and the infrastructure is just so old. compare landing in a place like laguardia to landing in a European or asian major city like tokyo,seoul,etc. There are modern airports and clean and efficient rail, very clean subways , from the minute you land. the minute you land in laguardia if feels like a third world airport, no rail link to the city. This is americas richest city by far.

san Francisco muni is awful too and the rent in places like manhattan and san fran is like $3500 /3100 euros to $4000 easy

A 900 square foot in seoul is $1370, a 900 square foot in tokyo is around $2000,in taipei its around $1,500, singapore is 2,000. They have clean ,efficient mass transit with low crime and most these cities are far more futuristic than any bloated, overpriced american city.

Charleston, Savannah, NOLA yes are all gems as well, though excluding NOLA are quite small. I'm talking about the sprawled cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. They don't interest me at all. I like history.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Boston really doesn't feel like the rest of the US, if you told me it was a different country I would completely believe you

Indeed. Until you visit there you just don't get it. Far more European in feel than Dallas, etc. Savannah and Charleston are also beautiful and historical, but are just very small in comparison.

I think Charleston is also starting to get ugly sprawl now as well sadly.

We need to be invigorating and re-building our inner cities and leave the rural natural areas alone. I say put up way more high rise living and if you want country then go out on weekends and enjoy it. I think it is a shame to tear up every bit of natural area in this country so a family can have a 5,000 sf cheaply built McMansion. Ugh.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:14 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Charleston, Savannah, NOLA yes are all gems as well, though excluding NOLA are quite small. I'm talking about the sprawled cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. They don't interest me at all. I like history.
Raleigh has done a OK job at preserving history, many towns in eastern NC have preserved there history as many mountain towns have also. But Charlotte traded it's historical building for shiny skyscrapers .

Old 08-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberneticGhost View Post
Yes it can, since 1990, the average for Houston Hobby is less than five frosts, and nearly zero for areas closer to the coast.
This is the cold epoch troll, isn't it?

Anyways, Houston is Zone 9A under 81-2010 normals.

And Galveston is Zone 9B!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberneticGhost View Post
The Western US is just lucky that the jet-stream dips trended east over the times. Once that jet stream has a western dip trend, it would be the West getting the cold deviations, while the East basks in warmth. I've checked winter hardiness zones for plants in the West vs the East, and the western subtropical vegetation is hardier than many eastern species.
The Rockies protect the western 1/4th of the country from the Arctic, the cold air in the western 1/4th of the country comes from the Gulf of Alaska, part of the Pacific which is much more moderate than the Arctic. Arctic air can't cross the Rockies due to cold air masses not rising higher than about 9,000ft. How many times does this need to be explained?!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather