Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Brickell, South Beach, and Sunny Isles.
Yea, the places tourists go and rich people live lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yeah, well, I grew up in Rochester, NY which means in the 18 years I lived there, I saw approx 1,800"/150 ft of snow, more than enough to last a lifetime. I don't ever want to see another flake of snow for as long as I f@$!#ng live, is that clear enough?!?!
Okay, and apparently to a guy that grew up in Rochester, Dallas is too snowy LOL.

Your girlfriend left you for a snowman, that's what it was wasn't it?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a resident of eastern Texas, all I can say is AMEN!!!

The weather here is absolutely appallingly stupid, only a moron with the IQ of dryer lint would set weather up in this way.

As I get older (I'm in my 40s), I can't deal with extremes very well, hot or cold. I like WARM weather, but I cannot stand HOT weather, I just can't stand it, yet at the same time I don't want a very cold winter either, but the only places that give you that are places like San Diego or Hawaii which have a high cost of living and are crowded as heck. .
I always have wondered why older people, especially after retirement age love the hot places to retire, Florida,Texas,Arizona,the Carolinas, Georgia etc? Heat wears me down but I really hate the cold, especially the early darkness in winter . I can still barbecue at night on a humid evening , a cold winter evening is depressing but I know what you say about the heat. If I could stay in maybe no higher than 88-89 and certain dew point I would be happy.

I love a humid evening thunderstorm though no matter how hot the day was

Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Okay, and apparently to a guy that grew up in Rochester, Dallas is too snowy LOL.

Your girlfriend left you for a snowman, that's what it was wasn't it?
Wtf are you talking about? I just hate snow, it's cold, depressing, doesn't allow palm trees to grow/thrive, kills the grass, trees and flowers, makes it so you have to wear pants and a heavy coat instead of shorts and a t-shirt. But, I don't like humidity either, so only subtropical deserts and mediterranean climates appeal to me.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Why do you say streets are not active? It doesnt seem that way to me at all, its one of the fastest growing downtowns and states in the country and there are condos going in left and right downtown, that downtown has grown like 130% since 2000. On first friday and weekends when I am there visiting I avoid most of the downtown because its packed , I hate big crowds and places like glenwood south are just packed with p[people you can barely walk from bar to bar, I hate stuff like that .
Me too. I'm grateful to live in a quiet suburban area.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Me too. I'm grateful to live in a quiet suburban area.
Yep, though I hate suburbs because they take over too much land,I would prefer if most folks lived in dense urban cities that were walkable with tracts of protected forests and parks and lakes within the city and a large urban crown similar to Charlotte Atlanta and Raleigh where basically even in the heart of the city you are in a forest, sorrounded by medium dense suburbs and small rural towns. I would prefer if at least 60% of the land was protected forest. Then another portion protected farmland. I also would prefer if we managed to GREATLY reduce noise and light pollution to the point you can see the stars even in the downtown area of a city. Would be some great living. Can't think of any cities that match what I described, Raleigh has lots of lakes inside the city limits an urban crown and a state forest but has suburban sprawl everywhere. Maybe Seattle or portland???

Old 08-25-2016, 08:27 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,270 times
I can't deal with dense places. Claustrophobic, scared to park my car anywhere with all the regulations, nope I'll keep my spacious roads and strip malls.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,276,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yep, though I hate suburbs because they take over too much land,I would prefer if most folks lived in dense urban cities that were walkable with tracts of protected forests and parks and lakes within the city and a large urban crown similar to Charlotte Atlanta and Raleigh where basically even in the heart of the city you are in a forest, sorrounded by medium dense suburbs and small rural towns. I would prefer if at least 60% of the land was protected forest. Then another portion protected farmland. I also would prefer if we managed to GREATLY reduce noise and light pollution to the point you can see the stars even in the downtown area of a city. Would be some great living. Can't think of any cities that match what I described, Raleigh has lots of lakes inside the city limits an urban crown and a state forest but has suburban sprawl everywhere. Maybe Seattle or portland???
If you have the same amount of people in a dense city center as you do in a city with sprawling suburbs, light pollution will be worse in the city center. Use some common sense for once.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Coming from other places, visiting Raleigh it has an amazingly large amount of trees and canopy, huge amount of trees even in the downtown area ,from around the five points area to the capital, its like driving in a forest. from rialto to downtown a mile or two.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...455376!6m1!1e1

Though thats a really a big problem if the City of Oaks gets a hurricane like Hurricane Fran.

I think the sprawl has more to do with all the biotech and research and Duke, UNC, NC State and RTP and the whole concept of the "research triangle"

If Raleigh did more tech and research stuff downtown , like red hat and citrix, and gets this train service to chapel hill and duke, it would be a much more important city in America. Raleigh downtown is gorgeous ,very walkable and very green and alot of great nightlife, very wooded downtown . Raleigh just needs more corporate headquarters downtown and not around research triangle, Duke and durham and UNC, thats where the traffic comes

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-25-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
If you have the same amount of people in a dense city center as you do in a city with sprawling suburbs, light pollution will be worse in the city center. Use some common sense for once.
In the city center public transportation is more efficient, reducing the amount of cars on the road. It pushes more people to walk. The city center might be dirtier, but overall it's much better for the atmosphere. There is a reason why NYC consumes the least energy per capita in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather