Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:57 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times

Advertisements

I really have a serious question of why, if parts of the sunbelt are so hot, so many millions and millions of people keep moving to the sunbelt and these really hot states? Probably the largest migration we have ever seen of people in the United States history in the last 60 years to the sunbelt. Some people say its cost of living and economy but you have alot of people moving from the midwest to arizona and texas and florida that arent any different in cost of living from where they moved form, it may be more expensive in many sunbelt metros, people arent moving to florida for the high wages thats for sure.

The top retiree states are all very hot states for the most part, Florida, Arizona, the Carolinas,Georgia and Texas are all the top states for retirees, why?

I also think it would be interesting if people just thought less about state and nation boundaries but the true topography of that region without state boundaries and names. What was Texas, New Mexico , Arizona, California, and Mexico like before these established states and nations , vegetation wise maybe when the spaniards arrived and we see written documentation on the land and the introduction of citrus .

Migrating birds and fish to warmer waters ,the regions vegetation, and the whole topography don't give a damn about some man made "state" or "nation" boundaries.

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-07-2016 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Yea summer's hot but the rest of the year is grand. Winters aren't even cold unless you're a bonafide wimp. I wish winters WERE colder! Summers could be worse, we could be Phoenix.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:16 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Also not a fan of the southern US climates for some reasons you provided.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Cold hardy palms will survive in Dallas. Also, many areas of the inland Deep South see violent storms/tornadoes (especially inland Alabama and Mississippi).
Except North Texas is geographically nothing like the deep south. I've been in the deep south, and I've been in the Midwest, we more resemble the open spaces of Kansas than the piney forests of Alabama. I didn't just say tornadoes btw, there's other things. Our topography can pass for the Midwest as can much of our vegetation. But like I said, we're a mix because it's far enough south that palms can grow, though not thrive.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
The Gulf Coast offers the most moderate, placcid climate in the state. Houston/Beaumont get decent rainfall year-round, and Brownsville/South Padre grows coconuts.
Too bad the rain Beaumont doesn't help with the horrible smell of chemicals and misery

Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Can Denton grow citrus? I just googled this, love her description of the citrus trees and the smell of orange blossoms in her Mediterranean Lebanon birthplace. I would imagine citrus is much tougher the further in north texas you get but this is the a denton master gardener and she seems to grow satsumas and kumquats there

What are the winters in Denton like?

Growing Citrus in North Texas | Denton County Master Gardener Association

"The fragrance carries me back to when I was six years old, growing up in Lebanon, a tiny country in the East Mediterranean. Each spring, my grandmother and I would get up early in the morning to harvest orange blossoms from the Sour Orange tree that grew adjacent to her kitchen window. We used the orange blossoms to make orange blossom water."

Early morning was always the best time to harvest orange blossoms. We stored the harvested blossoms in tightly closed glass jars, filled with water. We placed the jars in a sunny area for three weeks. During that time, the oils from the orange blossoms would seep into the water, and after draining the water from the spent blossoms, we had Orange Blossom Water.

My grandmother swore by the miracle cures of orange blossom water. She used it for everything that ailed you — indigestion, a hang-over, a heartache, a headache,…you name it. I also have reason to believe she used it as an aphrodisiac.

My grandmother was always beautifully dressed to receive visitors. On one particular afternoon, I observed my grandmother adding orange blossom to her bath water, and later sprinkling more on her hair as she brushed her long strands. I always associated this ritual with the arrival of visitors. Out of curiosity, I asked her “Are we expecting visitors this evening?” She replied impatiently, “No dear, tonight, I have to wrestle with your grandfather.”

"Today, I live in North Texas and have been told repeatedly, it is not a great place to grow citrus. For those doubters, my Satsumas and Kumquats are a testament that everything is possible. They are both in the ground and survived 72 consecutive hours of freezing temperatures in January 2010."

Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea summer's hot but the rest of the year is grand. Winters aren't even cold unless you're a bonafide wimp. I wish winters WERE colder! Summers could be worse, we could be Phoenix.
The sun bothers me so much in Texas that I would never consider living there. I have mostly northern European ancestry and would be a fish out of water there, I remember visiting Tulsa, OK one time and managed to get burned by the sun in 15-20 minutes, even with some shade around. The problem as I see it is that a large portion of the US is at a much further south latitude compared to Europe, (which is a big negative in my book), yet we lack most of the moderate climates found there with the exception of portions of the US West Coast. My preferred latitude range would be 45-50N. That is one reason why the Pacific Northwest is still on my short list of places to move to down the road for sure.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Can Denton grow citrus? I just googled this, love her description of the citrus trees and the smell of orange blossoms in her Mediterranean Lebanon birthplace. I would imagine citrus is much tougher the further in north texas you get but this is the a denton master gardener and she seems to grow satsumas and kumquats there

What are the winters in Denton like?

Growing Citrus in North Texas | Denton County Master Gardener Association

"The fragrance carries me back to when I was six years old, growing up in Lebanon, a tiny country in the East Mediterranean. Each spring, my grandmother and I would get up early in the morning to harvest orange blossoms from the Sour Orange tree that grew adjacent to her kitchen window. We used the orange blossoms to make orange blossom water."

Early morning was always the best time to harvest orange blossoms. We stored the harvested blossoms in tightly closed glass jars, filled with water. We placed the jars in a sunny area for three weeks. During that time, the oils from the orange blossoms would seep into the water, and after draining the water from the spent blossoms, we had Orange Blossom Water.

My grandmother swore by the miracle cures of orange blossom water. She used it for everything that ailed you — indigestion, a hang-over, a heartache, a headache,…you name it. I also have reason to believe she used it as an aphrodisiac.

My grandmother was always beautifully dressed to receive visitors. On one particular afternoon, I observed my grandmother adding orange blossom to her bath water, and later sprinkling more on her hair as she brushed her long strands. I always associated this ritual with the arrival of visitors. Out of curiosity, I asked her “Are we expecting visitors this evening?” She replied impatiently, “No dear, tonight, I have to wrestle with your grandfather.”

"Today, I live in North Texas and have been told repeatedly, it is not a great place to grow citrus. For those doubters, my Satsumas and Kumquats are a testament that everything is possible. They are both in the ground and survived 72 consecutive hours of freezing temperatures in January 2010."
I dunno about what grows here besides pecans lol I know you can grow apples here as there's an orchard nearby out of town. As far as what winters are like, I moved here last August and this past winter was a bust. Flowers out by late February. Previous winter I lived further south but mostly further west in Texas and we got a lot of snow. I was very satisfied!

Old 08-07-2016, 08:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Sauna > Oven, anyday. Houston may be humid, but temps are cooler than much of TX during summer.

Houston is better than the vast majority of TX in climate. Way more moderate temps; much of the rest of TX is too hot, too cold, too dry, or a combination of all 3.
You clearly haven't lived in Houston or in other parts of the state.

Houston's rain is often flash flooding
Houston gets is air off the gulf and it is wet and muggy
When it does rain, it cools it off by a few degrees, but its steamy. Try wearing glasses...fun. Not.
Houston has massive flood years, followed by massive drought years.
Lots of people die in the floods!!!!
Lots of kids and elderly people die in the heat!!!
The bugs are like no where else (and I have lived in central america!)
Its rarely windy. When there is wind, trees break. There is hardly a nice breeze.
Hurricanes
Tornados

This whole post shows that either you are a glutton for punishment, or you don't actually know the climate of the area. Its a weird opinion piece from someone who just doesn't know, or who loves stifling heat and humidity.

I spent a lot of time in San Antonio and I really liked the weather there. My cousin is a weather buff and loved living in dallas for the wide variety or weather. My kid lived in Austin and swore the climate was much nicer then Houston.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I really have a serious question of why, if parts of the sunbelt are so hot, so many millions and millions of people keep moving to the sunbelt and these really hot states? Probably the largest migration we have ever seen of people in the United States history in the last 60 years to the sunbelt. Some people say its cost of living and economy but you have alot of people moving from the midwest to arizona and texas and florida that arent any different in cost of living from where they moved form, it may be more expensive in many sunbelt metros, people arent moving to florida for the high wages thats for sure.

The top retiree states are all very hot states for the most part, Florida, Arizona, the Carolinas,Georgia and Texas are all the top states for retirees, why?

I also think it would be interesting if people just thought less about state and nation boundaries but the true topography of that region without state boundaries and names. What was Texas, New Mexico , Arizona, California, and Mexico like before these established states and nations , vegetation wise maybe when the spaniards arrived and we see written documentation on the land and the introduction of citrus .

Migrating birds and fish to warmer waters ,the regions vegetation, and the whole topography don't give a damn about some man made "state" or "nation" boundaries.
The body changes and lifestyle changes in later adulthood makes these hot climates more appealing.

Older people have a harder time retaining body heat so hot climates help.

Older people tend to spend less time outdoors.

Older people who raised families in harsher winter climates tend to be "over it". Hot climates are easier in the way of maintaining a property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather