Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The body changes and lifestyle changes in later adulthood makes these hot climates more appealing.

Older people have a harder time retaining body heat so hot climates help.

Older people tend to spend less time outdoors.

Older people who raised families in harsher winter climates tend to be "over it". Hot climates are easier in the way of maintaining a property.
Population age structure demographics do not really support that statement. I can find many areas in both the northern tier and southern tier states with a high percentage of elderly people with little migration occurring (few people moving in or out). However, there are certainly retiree magnets within the Sunbelt itself that do have a larger net in-migration of elderly. That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people that retire to a lake "up north." Northern areas of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New England, etc all have high percentages of population over age 65- often above 25% of the total population in many rural counties. The national average is around 14.5% of the populace over age 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 09:05 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
The body changes and lifestyle changes in later adulthood makes these hot climates more appealing.

Older people have a harder time retaining body heat so hot climates help.

Older people tend to spend less time outdoors.

Older people who raised families in harsher winter climates tend to be "over it". Hot climates are easier in the way of maintaining a property.
I agree with these but I dont know think the part about older people spending less time outdoors is right? Most older people seem to be more involved in civic activities ,gardening ,golf,boating, traveling, and just all around outdoor activities than younger millennials spending time around computer and video games.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Dallas

Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board: Sabal Louisiana in Dallas after 16 years

Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
This is an insanely stupid thread, expressing only an opinion. Virtually no benefit will be gained out of this thread. It's all subjective, to me north America is a climate succcess!!!! Texas is a large state also, with climates in the west more similar to Phoenix than Houston or dallas.

North america is a climate success for its wide variety of climates with nearly every climate on earth encompassed within. Only Asia can match that climate diversity. We get hot summers at very high latitudes, weather in some parts is always changing, stability exists in the west coast and other places such as Arizona, the east coast gets hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms, plentiful rain and lotsssssss of sunshine. The Midwest gets lots of rain also, with interchangeable weather that can suffice any cold/warm lovers desires. The thunderstorms there are epic and don't rain too much so you can still work view a thunderstorms epic clouds even within it. We have nice mild climates in the southern Appalachian such as Boone, asheville, and other places around 2.5k-3.5k feet up. I personally feel all this bashing of North America is uncalled for! It's an absolute climate success.

It is all subjective based on climate preferences. For someone like me that craves a winter where temps do not go more than 5-10F (at the extremes of winter temps) either side of the avg high/low, the vast majority of North America is a climate fail. Only a sliver of the West Coast, and the lower deserts in CA and AZ have that kind of stability. Not even the southern tip of the FL peninsula (which has the highest stability in the East) is close to the 10F plus or minus mark. That would be like Miami never dropping below 50F in winter, which it does every year.

All we needed was a decent east-west mountain chain or a big body of water where Canada is and we would have it. Even if North America narrowed down in width as you moved north would have given us more stability. Instead North America get real wide at the top and narrows as you move south. Ugh.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Dallas

that is amazing

this is what I saw was posted on palm talk from garland texas . on palm talk you can see alot of what people can do

this is from the same lady, in garland and north texas too

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-07-2016 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM

470 posts, read 455,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Except North Texas is geographically nothing like the deep south. I've been in the deep south, and I've been in the Midwest, we more resemble the open spaces of Kansas than the piney forests of Alabama. I didn't just say tornadoes btw, there's other things. Our topography can pass for the Midwest as can much of our vegetation. But like I said, we're a mix because it's far enough south that palms can grow, though not thrive.
Just because you have prairie doesn't necessarily mean that it can pass for the Midwest; there are many areas of the South that have prairie (especially the Black Belt crescent going through Mississippi and Alabama). Most prairies in the Midwest exist because the climate is too dry for trees; the prairies in Dallas (and the South) exist due to edaphic reasons (meaning it is only a matter of the soil). As dry as Dallas can feel, it receives more than enough rain to support forest.

You stated that weather patterns were like the Midwest due to "abundance of spring storms, and tornadoes." Thing about that is, the inland Deep South sees theses events as well; in fact, it is said that the Deep South Dixie Alley may be more violent than the traditional Tornado Alley. Tucaloosa, AL, for instance, has seen a lot of powerful tornadoes.

Certain species of palm that are hardy enough can thrive in Dallas; there are palms that can survive single digit Fs, even subzero temps (Needle Palms, Windmill Palms, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Too bad the rain Beaumont doesn't help with the horrible smell of chemicals and misery
That's why I talked about the good features of that location (such as the fact that the climate is pretty much among the best in Texas).

Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You clearly haven't lived in Houston or in other parts of the state.
I have done all those things. It is you who lacks the concept of relativity. That is, Houston isn't the most ideal climate for me, but it is the best Texas has to offer for climate (for my purposes), along with the entire Gulf Coast of the state.

Quote:
1. Houston's rain is often flash flooding
2. Houston gets is air off the gulf and it is wet and muggy
3. When it does rain, it cools it off by a few degrees, but its steamy. Try wearing glasses...fun. Not.
4. Houston has massive flood years, followed by massive drought years.
5. Lots of people die in the floods!!!!
6. Lots of kids and elderly people die in the heat!!!
7. The bugs are like no where else (and I have lived in central america!)
8. Its rarely windy. When there is wind, trees break. There is hardly a nice breeze.
9. Hurricanes
10. Tornados
1.) No, it isn't flash-flooding, just classic tropical-style down-pours, something the rest of the state sorely lacks in.

2.) Rather have wet, muggy air from the Gulf than burning hot, dry winds off the land (that much of Texas deals with).

3.) There's always contacts, you know.

4.) Yes, Houston floods, a sign of a place with abundant rainfall. I'll take that over much of Texas, which prays for rain regularly during summer. By the time a drought even starts to show signs of presence in Houston/Southeast Texas, the rest of the state has already been dried up and baked to a crisp. Massive drought in SE TX = normal year or deluge for the rest of Texas.

5.) Yes, people die in floods, a large part from not following instructions (don't drive past barriers that clearly are to mark off passageways that can't be crossed). This happens in Houston, and the other large cities in Texas.

6.) More kids and elderly are dying from heat in other parts of Texas (which stay in the 100s for weeks every summer) vs Houston (where 100s are relatively infrequent).

7.) Central America, in the humid tropics, is warm year-round at low elevations, and, thus, is loaded with bugs of all kinds, varieties not even seen in the US. So, unless you lived high up in the mountains when you were in Central America, your statement is absolutely false.

8.) The winds off the Gulf are soft and gentle, not searing dryness from land, nor harsh winds from severe storms, which is a stronger problem for much of the rest of Texas.

9.) Yes, Houston gets hurricanes. But, given the loads of prep-time afforded by constant monitoring, I find hurricanes far easier to deal with than...

10.) Tornadoes. Much of the rest of Texas deals with with destructive, deadly twisters (especially Northern Texas); the tornadoes that happen in Houston are so weak, that no one even knows that they've occurred (they might not even be tornadoes, just damaging winds/gusts).

Quote:
This whole post shows that either you are a glutton for punishment, or you don't actually know the climate of the area. Its a weird opinion piece from someone who just doesn't know, or who loves stifling heat and humidity.

I spent a lot of time in San Antonio and I really liked the weather there. My cousin is a weather buff and loved living in dallas for the wide variety or weather. My kid lived in Austin and swore the climate was much nicer then Houston.
Well, with all this said, you have single-handedly destroyed your whole argument, as well as your credibility, so that part is done. You and your family can keep San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas weather. You all have fun praying for rain while in those cities, dealing with weeks and weeks of 100F. I'll take Houston and the Texas Gulf Coast, where 100F is avoided many years, and has real summer storms, with real magnificent trees.

Last edited by VIRAL; 08-07-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is all subjective based on climate preferences. For someone like me that craves a winter where temps do not go more than 5-10F (at the extremes of winter temps) either side of the avg high/low, the vast majority of North America is a climate fail. Only a sliver of the West Coast, and the lower deserts in CA and AZ have that kind of stability. Not even the southern tip of the FL peninsula (which has the highest stability in the East) is close to the 10F plus or minus mark. That would be like Miami never dropping below 50F in winter, which it does every year.

All we needed was a decent east-west mountain chain or a big body of water where Canada is and we would have it. Even if North America narrowed down in width as you moved north would have given us more stability. Instead North America get real wide at the top and narrows as you move south. Ugh.
Honestly, are there climates that are that stable? Everywhere on Earth outside of tropical islands have seen deviations above 5-10F. Even the West Coast of the US deviates that much; when Los Angeles saw 90F when the Eastern US was dealing with the polar vortex, than was a huge deviation from the average.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:43 PM

2,569 posts, read 1,643,573 times
TX weather has changed for the worse, at least in our area NW of San Antonio. We moved here 15 years ago and back then, though summers were hot, we had consistent thunderstorms with lots of precipitation several times a week. That cooled things off and made summers somewhat bearable. Since the drought set in around 2007 no more lovely summer rainstorms.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
TX weather has changed for the worse, at least in our area NW of San Antonio. We moved here 15 years ago and back then, though summers were hot, we had consistent thunderstorms with lots of precipitation several times a week. That cooled things off and made summers somewhat bearable. Since the drought set in around 2007 no more lovely summer rainstorms.
I knew something was up:

Rain days for Sugar Land, TX, a suburb SW of Houston:
http://i.imgur.com/IaeeH07.png

The station only started collecting data during Dec 2000, but you can see the point. Take notice of:

1.) How every August beyond 2011 never reached up to at least 10 rain days.

2.) How every June since 2009 never reached up to 10 days (the rut was broken this June 2016, though).

3.) Look at how off July 2015 is compared to all the other July's (July 2016 looked bad at first, but the month ended with 10 rain days).

4.) Until this year, no summer since 2010 has had more than one month record 10 or more rain days.

The 2000s decade was a very good decade for summer thunderstorm activity in TX, especially compared to this present one thus far. I will find out about the over-arching weather patterns at play for TX during that 2000s decade, and find out how normal the alignment is (whether it was anomalous, part of a cycle, or the norm).

Last edited by VIRAL; 08-07-2016 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather