Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Deciduous Trees In The South An Effect of Climate or Geography?
Climate 3 15.79%
Geography 4 21.05%
Both 11 57.89%
Some other factor 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
If a place like Jeju Island can have broadleaf evergreen forest, than such manner of forest easily can happen across large chunks of the South:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotjawal_Forest
Let's just admit the South is one bore of a climate. Stupidly hot in summer, and the ridiculous cold waves in winter is that ruin any look of subtropicalness. Really it is the worst of any subtropical climate on earth.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 PM

78 posts, read 78,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Let's just admit the South is one bore of a climate. Stupidly hot in summer, and the ridiculous cold waves in winter is that ruin any look of subtropicalness. Really it is the worst of any subtropical climate on earth.
Never. The heat in the South isn't any different than what you get in other humid tropical/subtropical regions (especially in the N.Hemisphere), and the winter cold isn't enough to kill the the staple basic subtropical plant types.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
Never. The heat in the South isn't any different than what you get in other humid tropical/subtropical regions (especially in the N.Hemisphere), and the winter cold isn't enough to kill the the staple basic subtropical plant types.
Compared to places like Buenos Aires or Brisbane, the summers in Savannah and Mobile are stupidly hot, especially in terms of overnight lows

Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

total bore of a climate for sure and definitely lack of any subtropical-ness

savannah

https://i.embed.ly/1/display/resize?....jpg&width=810

http://www.trazeetravel.com/wp-conte...2-1000x399.jpg

florida

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../VeniceAve.jpg

http://www.touristmaker.com/wp-conte...iami-beach.jpg

http://tanukisan2.com/photos/FL%20ds...ch%20palms.jpg

south carolina

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...aldcypress.jpg

Last edited by nei; 09-06-2016 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Compared to places like Buenos Aires or Brisbane, the summers in Savannah and Mobile are stupidly hot, especially in terms of overnight lows
Those are S. Hemisphere locales, I was comparing more to the N.Hemisphere.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:42 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Subtropical areas of South America have deciduous trees too,I looked that on google street view in Uruguay during winter,but they divide space with evergreens,my conclusion is,the climate dont need to be a frozen wastland to have deciduous trees compounding its forests,some photos are from early spring,and some trees may show the new bright green leaves.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Subtropical areas of South America have deciduous trees too,I looked that on google street view in Uruguay during winter,but they divide space with evergreens,my conclusion is,the climate dont need to be a frozen wastland to have deciduous trees compounding its forests,some photos are from early spring,and some trees may show the new bright green leaves.

Where in Uruguay is this?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Maybe I did not understand the OP's question at all but I associate deciduous trees with milder winters while evergreens are more of a characteristic of colder winters. At least in Europe it is like this, so it just seems natural that the american (upper) south would have more deciduous trees considering their winters are similar to western europe (by average temperature, not weather patterns).

Never been there though, so I would be curious to see what it looks like. We mostly have deciduous forests here (well, we don't have that many forests to begin with) and our winters are relatively mild with occasional cold spells like the American south.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Maybe I did not understand the OP's question at all but I associate deciduous trees with milder winters while evergreens are more of a characteristic of colder winters. At least in Europe it is like this, so it just seems natural that the american (upper) south would have more deciduous trees considering their winters are similar to western europe (by average temperature, not weather patterns).

Never been there though, so I would be curious to see what it looks like. We mostly have deciduous forests here (well, we don't have that many forests to begin with) and our winters are relatively mild with occasional cold spells like the American south.
The OP is referring to BROADLEAF evergreens, not coniferous evergreens

Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Oh yeah, infact the english vocabulary messed with me. I am not sure about broadleaf evergreens here, but I have seen some in the neighborhood I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather