Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:31 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I have a 5/15 rule
I prefer a 20/33 rule, med climates sound great to live in but terrible for a weather enthusiast unless sunshine and cold rain make you enthusiastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
barren and rocky ? We're not talking about desert climates here. No Storms ? you mean
like this ? or
that ?

No snow ? Not very common but
it can happen
I never said barren and rocky. As for no storms, the West coast averages fewer than 5 thunderstorms a year, so many years will have none. The Mediterranean probably gets more, but a significant amount of Mediterranean climates get hardly any. And most places with these climates average no snow in year or maybe 1-2 days. Sure, snows can happen, but it is rare in most places with med climates.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Mediterranean climates are boring for weather nerds who crave constant change, temperature extremes, and precipitation.
Growing up in Ohio I completely agree. I even think the weather in central Texas is pretty boring..at least we get thunderstorms. I really miss the snowy winters.

Last edited by Jame22; 01-24-2017 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
I never said barren and rocky. As for no storms, the West coast averages fewer than 5 thunderstorms a year, so many years will have none. The Mediterranean probably gets more, but a significant amount of Mediterranean climates get hardly any. And most places with these climates average no snow in year or maybe 1-2 days. Sure, snows can happen, but it is rare in most places with med climates.
Check my post from page 2:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post46934943

The pure Mediterranean climate is the one from the Mediterranean Sea, and I always will mentione the climate referring to a Mediterranean city within the Mediterranean, not from the US or Chile or Australia.

It's not you buddy, it's the OP, pdw, who has said that the Med. climates are rocky and barren and they get no plants without irrigation.

As you can see, this is not true. And let's compare a photo from Rotterdam (rainy Oceanic climate) with the forest near a town close to me with a truly Csa climate:

Rotterdam Oceanic:

Mediterranean Csa;

And about the snow... I have nearby mountains which get snow a few times every year, as they're quite highly altitude mountains. I suppose that in the US you got also similar mountains with snow... California has ski resorts as far as I can see on the Internet.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
My theory is most people only think only they're nice because they visit in the summer. Med climates are cool and wet with no snow in winter. Many have constant fires in the summer because of drought. Can't grow anything without using irrigation. The natural landscape is barren and rocky with plants that look like weeds growing everywhere instead of trees. The only areas that look lush are because humans are constantly pumping them with water. Sure it may be nice to visit the Spanish coast for a week in the summer when it's 18 degrees and overcast in your little village in England, but for global year-round climates, Mediterraneans have got to have one the least interesting weather patterns. For me anyways. I understand the appeal for some people, but I'd rather have weather that can support beautiful forests to explore, snow to brighten the winter days or summer thunderstorms to fall asleep to. Med climates have none of these things.
Yup. Having lived a considerable amount in Csa climates, I can safely give them a big fat F.

Junter, that pic you posted is of a place that obviously has wet winters. Of course not all places with Csa climates are barren but a lot of them are, especially the ones bordering on semi-arid or even arid status (southern California for example).

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
I will never be able to understand why people like rain/snow/cold. Why change perfection. My one complaint about Mediterranean climates is that they aren't warm enough. Ideal for me would be 85 degrees F every day of the year, with no precipitation.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Yup. Having lived a considerable amount in Csa climates, I can safely give them a big fat F.

Junter, that pic you posted is of a place that obviously has wet winters. Of course not all places with Csa climates are barren but a lot of them are, especially the ones bordering on semi-arid or even arid status (southern California for example).
It's not wet winters buddy, that place has wet autumns and kinda wet springs. But the winters are the 3rd least wet season. Believe me, if not, check this:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoy#Clima

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibi#Clima

Those are the places at the mountain. The one from the forest is near Dénia, it gets lots of powerful rains from late September to late November, and in late March from late April.

That place doesn't have a station but the city of Dénia has a yearly rain of 555mm, with 66mm on September and 87 on October (warm rain), 73 on November and 51 on December, mainly falling in early December.

Then January has an average of 37, February 46 and March 58, most falling after the 2nd half of March. Then April 53 and May 35.

This is the climate of Palma, also the same: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palma,_Majorca#Climate

But I understand your point. Where I live, Altea, the mountains from the west and north have pine forests and some others are semi-arid with just bushes, if you go a bit south or further south the mountains are very arid. My climate is on the BSh/Csa border tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I will never be able to understand why people like rain/snow/cold. Why change perfection. My one complaint about Mediterranean climates is that they aren't warm enough. Ideal for me would be 85 degrees F every day of the year, with no precipitation.
What about the Dutch tropical island of Aruba? Tell me if you like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aruba#Climate

Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

Which Csa climate have you lived in? Southern California looks great except for the wildfires and Santa Ana winds.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:42 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,953,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think Mediterranean climates are the best of both worlds, with dry warm summers and then cool winters. I love them. My rule of thumb for an "A" climate is the 15/30 rule, where the average winter highs have to be as close to 15c as possible, and the summer highs have to be as close to 30c as possible. Most Mediterranean climates are just that

Only downside is the precipitation and sunshine patterns. The best sort of climate I think are those that have Mediterranean temperatures but an East Coast rainfall and sunshine pattern, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney#Climate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo#Climate
My rule is 33/10

I still like the mediterranean rainfall pattern though.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Med climates might grow a good range of plants, but they pale in comparison compared to Oceanic climates at comparable latitudes. I doubt there is a Med climate that can grow as many species as my climate, simply due to my area getting more precipitation.

Dry tolerant species handle wet conditions better than moisture loving species handle dry conditions.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-25-2017 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather