Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels the hottest?
New York City 7 12.28%
Las Vegas 50 87.72%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 PM

412 posts, read 509,475 times

Advertisements

Which city is the hottest in the summer months (June - Sep)? Obviously Las Vegas has higher temps, but also way lower humidity.

Personally I have never experienced summer in either place, but I keep hearing about how brutal NYC is in the summer and that it may even rival Houston.

Last edited by JayVanderbilt; 04-16-2017 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Personally I have never experienced summer in either place, but I keep hearing about how brutal NYC is in the summer and that it may even rival Houston.
NYC isn't even close to Houston. Both temperature and RH are lower in NYC, as well as sun strength. I think Las Vegas would feel hotter as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 AM

795 posts, read 739,125 times
I'm pretty sure Las Vegas feels warmer. Even though it's a dry heat, temperatures are quite higher than in NYC.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:41 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times
Heat index in the shade likely averages 33-34C in New York, whereas 42C or something in Vegas. Add higher sun angles and there's no contest left

Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 AM

29,513 posts, read 19,610,114 times
NYC is nowhere near as hot as Las Vegas in the summer. Not even close. Dry heat or not, you are in the middle of the desert. If you want to compare a hot humid city with Las Vegas, then Houston would or San Antonio would be much more realistic..... You can barely walk down the Las Vegas strip in the middle of the afternoon during the summer without nearly passing out. And no not from the excessive amounts of alcohol LOL

Old 04-17-2017, 04:37 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,685 times
lol NYC brutal summers? No they're just very warm and occasionally hot. The average temperatures are very pleasant.

Somewhere like Bangkok, Darwin, Ho Chi Minh City is brutal and are far warmer and more humid than NyC

Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,020 times
I'm sure during heatwaves, NYC is pretty brutal, but generally it doesn't feel that hot. I'd certainly say that it feels as hot as anywhere in Europe though. I lived in Palma, and NYC probably felt hotter.

Having experienced hot desert climates, I'd say Vegas would feel much hotter tbh. It can be painful to be out in the sun. I've experienced 50C before, and it was pretty horrible tbh. Your entire body feels like it's being cooked.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Comparing the hottest month, July. New York has an average high of 28.9C (84.1F) with an average relative humidity of 64.2%. Using the heat index, that will roughly feel like 32C (89F).

I don't even need to do the calculations for LV in order to know that a typical summer day there feels significantly hotter, and that's not even taking sun intensity into account. It requires a relatively uncommon combination of factors for New York to feel anything like Las Vegas in July.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Comparing the hottest month, July. New York has an average high of 28.9C (84.1F) with an average relative humidity of 64.2%. Using the heat index, that will roughly feel like 32C (89F).

I don't even need to do the calculations for LV in order to know that a typical summer day there feels significantly hotter, and that's not even taking sun intensity into account. It requires a relatively uncommon combination of factors for New York to feel anything like Las Vegas in July.
Ehh, that's not really how it works. Comparing the Average High Temperature with the Mean Relative Humidity is unlogical. The relative humidity is normally lower when the High Temperature is reached.

Anyway, Las Vegas by far. I know that New York can get quite intense combinations of Heat and Humidity but their standard Summer day is not that hot nor that muggy.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Ehh, that's not really how it works. Comparing the Average High Temperature with the Mean Relative Humidity is unlogical. The relative humidity is normally lower when the High Temperature is reached.

Anyway, Las Vegas by far. I know that New York can get quite intense combinations of Heat and Humidity but their standard Summer day is not that hot nor that muggy.
Well I'm an illogical person.

Taking into account what you said, New York generally feels even cooler than I thought, which further emphasizes the point, Las Vegas feels much hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather