Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Here is the thread for Winter Storm Aiden October 8-9, 2017.

I haven't made any for the other snow events or storms but..... this one coming up could potentially be worth it.

The Dates: December 28-31.
Locations: Potentially Texas to Northeast
Amounts: Too Soon!
The Set Up: Storm forms off the Southeast coast and moves Northeast while potentially merging with the Northern Jet stream to blow it up. Gulf moisture interaction also possible

As mentioned in the winter thread, both GFS & EURO models have this. A rare moment they both agree on something past 7 days. GFS has been pretty consistent past 2 days

The CPC already has outlined the Heavy snow potential area.. This of course will change many times as we near.

Source:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 PM

I'll be posting updates on this storm each day in this thread. If you hear anything about it from local news or meteorologists, please post. Thanks. Or even post a forecast, that would help.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM

763 posts, read 379,158 times
I've been watching the long-term forecasts go back and forth on this storm. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm in the heavy snow circle on that map.

Current forecast for me:

If we get snow, it looks like it might stick around for a while if the forecast verifies.

Last edited by user491; 12-22-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I've been watching the long-term forecasts go back and forth on this storm. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm in the heavy snow circle on that map.

Current forecast for me:

If we get snow, it looks like it might stick around for a while if the forecast verifies.
Thanks! Be curious how much they change their forecast along the way. Might end up being sunny and dry. LOL ... Fun to track something though. Been an active December but no real big one.

NWS Boston mentioning it... It would be coming with a fresh Arctic High Pressure to the north. We need timing and position to be perfect to get a big snowstorm. The setup is there!

Quote:
National Weather Service Taunton MA
559 AM EST Sat Dec 23 2017

Tuesday through Thursday...

Coldest air of the season. Persistent NW winds. Talking lows in the
single digits to below zero. Highs in the teens and 20s. Wind chills
roughly 5 to 10 degrees below observed temperatures at times. Ocean
effect stratus lingering offshore.

Friday onward...

Potential Nor`Easter. Consistent signal as of late within ensemble
means and CPC is highlighting the hazard threat in their 8-14 day
forecast. So far out in the forecast, details highly uncertain. Wait
till we get out of the present and holiday wintry weather, then we
will have the opportunity to entertain a more thorough discussion.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 AM

217 posts, read 146,401 times
Weather channel forecast for State College PA had 6-10 inxhes forecasted for Friday as of yesterday afternoon. This morning the call is for a big fat 0.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:03 AM

So to update on the latest Models.... They're going to change with almost every run this far out but lets see if the storm is still there

Latest GFS: Powerful storm still showing up, but its way off shore. Jet streams merging too late for us

Latest Euro: misses with the 29th storm but then has another big storm right behind it on the 1st. Not sure if its confused on timing or if there will be 2 storms.

See it off the coast Jan 1st? Still too far for big snowstorm on land.

Latest Canadian has the big storm close enough for a decent size snowstorm Kentucky, DC, NYC, Boston.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Weather channel forecast for State College PA had 6-10 inxhes forecasted for Friday as of yesterday afternoon. This morning the call is for a big fat 0.
Ahhh, thanks! Making sense, they are following the model updates as I just showed above they are a miss for us except the Canadian but nobody takes that one seriously this far out. lol. Keep us posted. I doubt they'll change with each update. Would be surprised. Maybe twice a day?

Old 12-23-2017, 06:09 AM

For those that don't know...

GFS updates 4 times a day goes out 14 days.
Euro updates 2 times a day goes out 10 days
Canadian updates 2 times a day goes out 10 days
Navy updates 4 times a day goes out 7 days

Then there's the Ensemble runs which have a ton a different members within producing a result rather than just 1 mean, but I wont bore you.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
As of right now, only thing in the forecast for us after the Christmas snow is cold. Really really cold. lol.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:51 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
As of right now, only thing in the forecast for us after the Christmas snow is cold. Really really cold. lol.
You can't get too much winter in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather