Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:12 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,039,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
So then if there is no difference to you, would they be considered different seasons?
They are different seasons, but 8°C and overcast in November is horrid, winter like weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
They are different seasons, but 8°C and overcast in November is horrid, winter like weather
Well it may be winter like to you, but 8C to someone in Montreal and Moscow would be spring or fall like. That's why I think its useful to have consistent definitions about what seasons really mean. If people have different standards depending on where they live, it becomes meaningless IMO.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Well it may be winter like to you, but 8C to someone in Montreal and Moscow would be spring or fall like. That's why I think its useful to have consistent definitions about what seasons really mean. If people have different standards depending on where they live, it becomes meaningless IMO.
I do have consistent definitions for here, 8°C and gloomy is winterlike, 11-17°C and sunny is springlike, 11-19°C and gloomy is autumnal and 20-22°C and sunny is summerlike. In Montreal and Moscow, 8°C and gloomy is autumnal and 8°C and sunny is springlike.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
I do have consistent definitions for here, 8°C and gloomy is winterlike, 11-17°C and sunny is springlike, 11-19°C and gloomy is autumnal and 20-22°C and sunny is summerlike. In Montreal and Moscow, 8°C and gloomy is autumnal and 8°C and sunny is springlike.
Why not have consistent definitions for everywhere? Didn't you say LA has summer year round? They may not think so.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Why not have consistent definitions for everywhere? Didn't you say LA has summer year round? They may not think so.
Yes LA has summer year round

Old 02-25-2019, 01:14 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
More accurately summer type weather occurs in LA in every month but there are some days/weeks in the winter where its definitely fall or spring or even winter to some people. I guess it depends on where you are from to decide if its winter like or not. For me, its winter when its mid 40s and rain or I wake up to some frost.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:49 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
The temperature may make it appear so to someone observing from a distance, but the local plants, animals, and people do not agree.

For example:

I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash and many other heat-loving vegetables from May through September. Thereafter, the sun angle is low enough that even though the temperatures may still be warm to hot, the plants no longer bear fruit. I currently have living tomato and pepper plants from last summer, but they have no fruit and will not bear again until at least June.

Deciduous trees such as apple, peach, liquidambar, ginkgo, sycamore, and several species of oak lose their leaves in the fall and leaf out again in the spring. If you were here right now, February, you would see many trees with bare branches along with the palms and evergreens.

Birds build nests in the spring (March, April, May) in LA just as they do everywhere. We have finches in our roof and doves in the porch in the spring and summer. Ducklings and goslings appear at the lakes. Deer give birth to fawns. This all stops after summer. Wild animals and birds don't have babies in the winter, no matter how warm it is.

Some neighborhoods have community pools which are heated during the winter months. It's not hot enough in the winter to swim in an unheated pool. In the summer, the heat is turned off. Also, other communities have pools or water parks which are only open in the summer--from around Memorial Day (end of May) to Labor Day (beginning of September).

I could give more examples, but perhaps this is enough. If LA truly had summer year-round; in other words, if it were the tropics, none of the above would be the case.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:12 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
LA does not have any kind of summer compared to my summers.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 PM

99 posts, read 190,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know what the averages are, but that doesn't mean it's that warm every day

Do you remember the summer of 2010? For most of the summer, the coast was only having highs in the 60s, the basin only had highs in the 70s, and the valleys were only having highs in the 80s most of the summer, due to persistant troughing and onshore flow over the western US.

I can even reference the day I was talking about in August of 2016:

It was Friday August 26th, 2016. Ontario had a high of 84 and a low of 61 that day; Riverside had a high of 85 and a low of 63; and San Bernardino had a high of 86 and a low of 52. All observations taken from airport stations, you can look them up.

And that day had marine layer and fog in the morning all the way out to Banning, which gave way to clear skies by about noon
I definitely remember that cold summer of 2010 in L.A. I had made a trip out there in June to visit my aunt, who lives on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, and it got unexpectedly cold in the middle of one of the afternoons. Granted, we were sitting outside near the coast — but all I had on was a hoodie, and I was shivering and really needed a heavier jacket that day. Temps may have been in the 60s, but it felt considerably colder than that, possibly due to the heavy cloud cover (June gloom) and wind chills, or just to my body's lack of acclimation to that type of weather at that time of year.

Last edited by pwumavs; 02-27-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM

75 posts, read 67,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
February and March are winter months in LA, and Spring is April to June. But other than that, pretty accurate
Sometimes LA temperature reaches 95 in mid June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather