Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times

Advertisements

Can't really say for either one actually. Heat Index would probably be the time I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area or during a visit to Vegas. Windchill would be a toss up between time spent in Northern Maine or the UP of Michigan. One morning in Sault Ste. Marie, MI the weather report from the radio gave the actual temp then as usual went for the wind chill, slight pause then the remark "wish we could give you the wind chill temp, but our charts only go down to -127." One time on Loring Air Force base in Limestone, ME they announced a wind chill of "well below -100."

For either extreme it was WAY too hot, or WAY too cold. I like 4 seasons, but the extreme temps on either end of the scale is for the birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Can't really say for either one actually. Heat Index would probably be the time I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area or during a visit to Vegas. Windchill would be a toss up between time spent in Northern Maine or the UP of Michigan. One morning in Sault Ste. Marie, MI the weather report from the radio gave the actual temp then as usual went for the wind chill, slight pause then the remark "wish we could give you the wind chill temp, but our charts only go down to -127." One time on Loring Air Force base in Limestone, ME they announced a wind chill of "well below -100."

For either extreme it was WAY too hot, or WAY too cold. I like 4 seasons, but the extreme temps on either end of the scale is for the birds.
, holy smokes.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
OMG that's cold!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,902 times
wow! That is truly a vision of bloody hell on earth.

My face stings and my hands turn blue at 50ºF. I just cannot comprehend chill factors of -100 Moderator cut: word removed

Last edited by Jammie; 05-03-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Sab, you've GOT to watch the language

Old 05-03-2008, 02:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
wow! That is truly a vision of bloody hell on earth.

My face stings and my hands turn blue at 50ºF. I just cannot comprehend chill factors of -100 Moderator cut: word removed
You're face stings at 10 C (50 F)?

I thought my skin was sensitve for my ears stinging when it gets to 44 F (7 C)

It seems no man's skin in Canada stings unless it's near freezing, except windchills near freezing bother me. Then again, maybe I'm one of the few willing to say how cold I am.

I wonder if you're face stings at 50 F (10 C) because of the climate you grew up with it's relatively large absense of extreme cold.

Fingers aside (nerve disorder), 50 F to me feels like a mild cold, the kind to make you shiver, maybe make some of your muscles stiffer. (However I still do not wish to see this in summer, as cold of any kind at any time of day has no place in summer. )

Do you're whole hands turn blue at 10 C, or just your fingers?
My fingers have turned purple and hurt real bad at 12 C (54 F) when it was a little windy and overcast.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:11 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,608 times
I taught skiing for 18 years, mostly just part time. One year I was on the schedule when I'd just as soon have stayed home. My car slowed to a crawl and then stopped on the way to work - I got out, put some "drygas" (fuel system antifreeze) in the tank, stepped on the bumper a few times to stir up the contents of the tank, and turned the starter for about 3 seconds. I did this 4 times. On the 4th turn, the car started. Whew!

I got to work, suited up, ...and found I had people in a group lesson. I told them they could have a refund on the spot, or we could have a class but that they'd have to take direction, buddy up and watch eachother's noses very carefully, ...and go in immediately whenever I asked them to. I just treated the lesson like a Winter survival class. Every time I saw the tip of a nose turn white, I'd tell them "don't touch it! just put a glove in front of it and protect it from the wind for a moment".

We skied the shortest chair-lift one run at a time for 2 hours, going in between each run.

After the lesson, I got on the long show chair and skied one from the top. Then I got right back on and did it again, just to see how it felt - this time I skied a trail with some bumps - which were as hard as glass. So hard my 20 year old knees hurt, even though I was skiing very moderately. I went in and looked at the weather channel and saw it was 68f below with the wind factored in. I figured there wasn't much sense in staying for the rest of the day.

I've been colder though. In July in a boat, oddly enough.

I used to beg the vacationers to stop coming to ski in December and January (when it's likely to be cold, rainy, and wet - and there's unlikely to be enough good snow to make good conditions... and consider coming more like Easter. Since I quit teaching in uniform, I now mosly wait until Spring Skiing - blue sky overhead, green grass in the distance, loads of soft accumulated snow, and warm temperatures. There's nothing more fun than skiing on soft snow when it's nice and warm out.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Actual temperature was about -35, wind chill -70 in Chicago (think it was on Christmas Eve in the early 80s). Other extreme was 112 degree day in Dallas Texas
I don't think it was Christmas eve Kev. We always go to in-laws on Christmas eve and on that day I stayed in. It was a Sunday in Jan, I believe about 1986.

Meanwhile 275 miles down I55, in St Louis 108 deg heat index July 1989. For that matter any July in St Louis is like that.

What is the magic of 60deg? Todays hourly temps show at 10AM 60 feels like 58 with 10 MPH wind. At 11AM 61 feels like 61 with an 11MPH wind. Go figure.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
114 degrees in las vegas. There was no humidity but I frankly have never been that hot in my life;my feet were burning thru my shoes. It was like being in a oven.I hads to keep drinking water all day because of dehydration threat. I am from texas and we get hot but have some humidity that causes you to sweat and cool some.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,652 times
The hottest for me would be 116 degrees in Ontario, CA in 1990. The coldest...maybe 25 to 30 degrees in Big Bear, CA.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Aho

1 posts, read 5,657 times
Default Heat index/Humidex

I think we have a slightly different measurement in Canada than the USA.

But in 1995 (I think) I was golfing in Oakville, Ontario, Canada with friends and the heat index hit 51C or 124F according the weather records that day.
The air temp was 38C or 101F and insane humidity and no wind.

Beer would stay cold long, but I golfed shot the second best game ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather