Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are palms required for a subtropical climate?
Yes 29 39.73%
No 44 60.27%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 10:27 AM

256 posts, read 155,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
All I want in a subtropical climate is the ability to stay green in winter, for the most part, some flowering plants, and a majority of the winter days being above 55F for the high temp.
Isn't that just a tropical climate, then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 11:31 AM

256 posts, read 155,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, in Miami (which is a tropical climate), every day has a high above 55°F, and going higher, they only average 10 days with highs below 70°F in a typical year.

Phoenix, though dry, would be what Tom is looking for (Temperature wise).

Phoenix in a typical year has 3 days with highs below 55°F, and averages 13 days with highs below 60°F, and comparing this stat to Miami, an average year has 61 days with highs below 70°F
It doesn't stay green, though.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:58 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
It doesn't stay green, though.
It's not pure tropical when they got snow and used to get 30's when we had real winters. Now with it warming up so fast i may have to call it tropical in another 30 years.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:44 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Phoenix and Miami don't get snow
Miami sure did back in Jan 1977. Better dig back in the records. Maybe Key west is the only place i would call kinda pure tropical for FL. If a place gets to low 40's and into the 30's i can't see it being tropical.

Phoenix is too dry to be pure tropical and i would think they get into the 30's with that super dry air.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:13 PM

1,223 posts, read 721,404 times
Miami is without question a 'tropical' climate despite being north of the Tropic of Cancer and 1,783 miles from the equator.
Miami and the far north Queensland city of Townsville have very similar climate data recordings. Townsville is 1,330 miles from the Equator and is regarded as your quintessential tropical Australian city.
The main difference between the two places climatically is that Miami may experience 1 in 50 year or 1 in 100 year freeze events, ie cold and Townsville may experience extreme heat as a 1 in 100 year event, ie days above 110f.
The +105f days experienced in Townsville doesn't have us claiming Townsville is a dry hot desert climate.
Weather anomalies can and do occur....hell, even Townsville's Airport has recorded a 34F winter morning. Again, a 1 in 100 year event.
The most northerly recorded snowfall in Australia happened in 1965 in the hills east of Mackay at 21.14*S....well inside the tropics. Again a 1 in 100 year event.
I don't use extreme records as proof of a climate classification. I use the means/averages for the months and year and 5th% and 10th% and 90th% and 95th% ( percentile ) for means both maxs and mins extremes.
Oh and Townsville is a very Palmy city.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:02 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Miami is without question a 'tropical' climate despite being north of the Tropic of Cancer and 1,783 miles from the equator.
Miami and the far north Queensland city of Townsville have very similar climate data recordings. Townsville is 1,330 miles from the Equator and is regarded as your quintessential tropical Australian city.
The main difference between the two places climatically is that Miami may experience 1 in 50 year or 1 in 100 year freeze events, ie cold and Townsville may experience extreme heat as a 1 in 100 year event, ie days above 110f.
The +105f days experienced in Townsville doesn't have us claiming Townsville is a dry hot desert climate.
Weather anomalies can and do occur....hell, even Townsville's Airport has recorded a 34F winter morning. Again, a 1 in 100 year event.
The most northerly recorded snowfall in Australia happened in 1965 in the hills east of Mackay at 21.14*S....well inside the tropics. Again a 1 in 100 year event.
I don't use extreme records as proof of a climate classification. I use the means/averages for the months and year and 5th% and 10th% and 90th% and 95th% ( percentile ) for means both maxs and mins extremes.
Oh and Townsville is a very Palmy city.
They even have a palmetum, which is worth visiting if you're in that part of the world. Very big collection of palms, including some rare ones like the coco de mer.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:05 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
They even have a palmetum, which is worth visiting if you're in that part of the world. Very big collection of palms, including some rare ones like the coco de mer.
Miami has both world renowned Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden and the Montgomery Botanical Center (the leading academic institution in palm research and conservation).

Old 11-13-2021, 09:53 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
All I want in a subtropical climate is the ability to stay green in winter, for the most part, some flowering plants, and a majority of the winter days being above 55F for the high temp.
It's also important to kill off mid-latitude westerly activity/wind-shear, etc. That is what is possible for producing the violent, deadly tornadoes in certain areas of the US subtropical climates (i.e. Great Plains, Dixie Alley, etc).

Tropical climates don't deal with mid-latitude nonsense of tornadoes, hail, etc. Hence why they are ideal.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:28 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
Oklahoma City is nowhere near real subtropical as far as I am concerned with the record low of -17 recorded this February alone. Most of the subtropicality is mostly along the SE ridge, starting with SC and GA for one. I've also noticed that the Gulf South is a lot more continental than the SE ridge too, which makes anywhere west of GA a risky situation.
Records don't define a climate... averages do. Record highs for winter where I live are in then 60s, but that doesn't make us non-continental.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:53 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Thanks for inspiring me to Google "Coco de mer" this morning at work. Now I'm giggling like a 14 year old at my cubicle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather