Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 12:48 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,415,610 times

Advertisements

Another thing that might be good to add is that while obviously it's called the air conditioned city for a reason, Duluth can have highs that are much warmer than one would expect them to be on a consistent basis during heatwaves.
2021 comes to mind: the June to September average highs match up very well over all 4 of those months (as opposed to just 1) with a quintessential 4 season climate instead of a Dfb, and the 34C hottest day was still technically in spring as it happened on June 4 when the lake would be cooler and less conducive!

My first impression of Duluth was a place remarkably cool in summer relative to the quintessential choice, going by what Wikipedia said. So you can only imagine how blown away I was when I watched this unfold right after said first impression, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 11:01 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Im front Northeast MN myself. I remember back in 97 or so when we hit -75 with wind chill. The next summer we had over a 100. We were sitting in church and people were complaining about the heat. The minister gets up and jokes about how last winter people were complaining about how cold it was. He didnt want to hear anything about the heat.
Well if it gets too hot, Lake Superior is a nice chilly dip away

Old 03-28-2023, 11:07 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Well if it gets too hot, Lake Superior is a nice chilly dip away
Ive been swimming there. Seems like it is always freezing.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:40 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Another thing that might be good to add is that while obviously it's called the air conditioned city for a reason, Duluth can have highs that are much warmer than one would expect them to be on a consistent basis during heatwaves.
2021 comes to mind: the June to September average highs match up very well over all 4 of those months (as opposed to just 1) with a quintessential 4 season climate instead of a Dfb, and the 34C hottest day was still technically in spring as it happened on June 4 when the lake would be cooler and less conducive!
A northwest wind can do that. Same with NYC, where JFK hit 99°F on May 29, 1969, while Central Park only hit 97°F. That was also on a northwesterly wind, keeping the Atlantic from cooling things down.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Ive been swimming there. Seems like it is always freezing.
Yea its very deep and cold. I have jumped in a frozen lake but got out like 5 seconds later. I couldn't imagine actually going for a swim in water that cold!

Old 03-28-2023, 12:28 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
I think Stevens Point, WI went over 7-8 years not too long ago without hitting 90F one time. Further east of the Minnesota on the same latitude line is often cooler because you are further removed from the blast furnace airmasses that build up on the Great Plains.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:43 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
Yea its very deep and cold. I have jumped in a frozen lake but got out like 5 seconds later. I couldn't imagine actually going for a swim in water that cold!
I've gone swimming there fairly often, mostly in late August. The water is in the mid to high 60s in the shallow bays in the east end of the lake then. It's not good for lounging in the water and lazing around like Lake Erie, but if you're swimming vigorously you can stay in Lake Superior for half an hour and be fine.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I've gone swimming there fairly often, mostly in late August. The water is in the mid to high 60s in the shallow bays in the east end of the lake then. It's not good for lounging in the water and lazing around like Lake Erie, but if you're swimming vigorously you can stay in Lake Superior for half an hour and be fine.
I'd reckon you need a wet suit up there.

Old 03-28-2023, 03:37 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
I'd reckon you need a wet suit up there.
It's genuinely swimmable without a wet suit in late August. My favorite swimming spots are Pancake Bay and Batchawana Bay, but Warp Bay (near Gargantua), Michipicoten and Horseshoe Bay (in Pukaskwa) have all been swimmable for me and many of the other beach goers there. Water temperatures might even reach the low 70s in some of those places on a good year. August 10-September 5 or so would be the best time to swim.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It's genuinely swimmable without a wet suit in late August. My favorite swimming spots are Pancake Bay and Batchawana Bay, but Warp Bay (near Gargantua), Michipicoten and Horseshoe Bay (in Pukaskwa) have all been swimmable for me and many of the other beach goers there. Water temperatures might even reach the low 70s in some of those places on a good year. August 10-September 5 or so would be the best time to swim.
You must be a hardy swimmer lol Anything under 80 for water temp and I find a bit too cold to stay in for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather