Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 05:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Spring in that part of Europe can be brutally slow to get going and you may go well into April or even May before seeing 70 degrees. Similarly you may well see your last 70 degree day in early October.

Winters aren't especially cold there and mostly immune to the kind of extremes we see in the U.S. but there's just a very long time period of reliably dreary, unpleasant weather conditions. Many people in my experience find that psychologically quite difficult to deal with.
70 is a very high threshold for "spring." Most spring flowers/leaves bloom at temps well below 70. Tulips, basically the epitome of "spring blooms" don't tolerate temps that high very well and bloom best in the mid 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 07:39 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
70 is a very high threshold for "spring." Most spring flowers/leaves bloom at temps well below 70. Tulips, basically the epitome of "spring blooms" don't tolerate temps that high very well and bloom best in the mid 50s.
Also Berlin actually has warmer springs than places like Toronto or Boston. People around here are making it out to be like St. John's or somesuch.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:49 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post

I grew up in central Europe and the first 20C day (so 68F technically) was usually what you were waiting for in spring, and it was pretty much unheard of in March and often only occurred in the 2nd half of April. 40s on Easter and 50s on May Day? Unfortunately a reality in a lot of years.

I'm fully aware that in many areas thawing weather i.e. above freezing temps are associated with spring, but persistent snow cover and lasting freezes aren't very common in low-lying Europe south of Scandinavia. So if 'winter' is a steady diet of highs between the mid 30s and low 50s with low to mid 40s the most typical temps then spring needs to bring a notable departure in terms of warmth or it won't be perceived as such.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:12 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,415,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Also Berlin actually has warmer springs than places like Toronto or Boston. People around here are making it out to be like St. John's or somesuch.
I can't speak for them but that's probably relative to Tybee Island (since this thread is about those 2 places).

Tybee Island's January is nearly as warm as the April/May transition in Berlin, and going off of the climate boxes for other places in coastal Georgia and the Carolinas, its usual January maximum is probably 22-23C - likewise nearly as warm as the usual Berlin April maximum of 24C.
Given how much importance Veritas Vincit is placing on the first warm days, that would be pretty notable.

Don't know about you, but relative to Tybee Island, I'd say that's more than sufficient to make it out to be St. John's (more than sufficient because unlike Berlin/Tybee Island being so close, St. John's April is actually 7.3C warmer than Toronto's January).

Old 04-26-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I grew up in central Europe and the first 20C day (so 68F technically) was usually what you were waiting for in spring, and it was pretty much unheard of in March and often only occurred in the 2nd half of April. 40s on Easter and 50s on May Day? Unfortunately a reality in a lot of years.

I'm fully aware that in many areas thawing weather i.e. above freezing temps are associated with spring, but persistent snow cover and lasting freezes aren't very common in low-lying Europe south of Scandinavia. So if 'winter' is a steady diet of highs between the mid 30s and low 50s with low to mid 40s the most typical temps then spring needs to bring a notable departure in terms of warmth or it won't be perceived as such.
So since winter is mild then spring is somehow diminished? That's not my experience. There's no need to suffer through the brutal extremes of an eastern North American climate just to enjoy spring.

Winters around here are pretty mild--warmer than DC on average. Yet a normal March and April still feels decidedly like spring even though we don't get temperatures in the 70s.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I can't speak for them but that's probably relative to Tybee Island (since this thread is about those 2 places).

Tybee Island's January is nearly as warm as the April/May transition in Berlin, and going off of the climate boxes for other places in coastal Georgia and the Carolinas, its usual January maximum is probably 22-23C - likewise nearly as warm as the usual Berlin April maximum of 24C.
Given how much importance Veritas Vincit is placing on the first warm days, that would be pretty notable.

Don't know about you, but relative to Tybee Island, I'd say that's more than sufficient to make it out to be St. John's (more than sufficient because unlike Berlin/Tybee Island being so close, St. John's April is actually 7.3C warmer than Toronto's January).
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:06 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
Quote:
Spring in that part of Europe can be brutally slow to get going and you may go well into April or even May before seeing 70 degrees. Similarly you may well see your last 70 degree day in early October.

Winters aren't especially cold there and mostly immune to the kind of extremes we see in the U.S. but there's just a very long time period of reliably dreary, unpleasant weather conditions. Many people in my experience find that psychologically quite difficult to deal with.
This is spot-on correct for most of Germany, except for perhaps the Rhine valley south of Karlsruhe along the border with France, which averages a few degrees warmer.

Today for example (April 26) the morning low was 3C/36F and the afternoon high was 7C/45F. I went for a 30 mile bicycle ride and wore a lot of the same clothing layers as in mid-winter.

It will be nice to return to the US later this year and live in the southern latitudes where warm temps can show up in March and linger into November, with some back and forth between warm and cool.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.
Let me try and simplify it.

Compared to Berlin, Tybee Island gets much more of the springish 20C+ weather Veritas Vincit was talking about. Its January is as warm as very late April in Berlin, with similar absolute maximum temperatures, giving the possibility for that springish weather year round.

This is in contrast to the example you mentioned of St. John's and then Toronto. St. John's April is much warmer than Toronto's January instead of the 2 being similar, meaning the relative warmup discrepancy between them is smaller than between Berlin and Tybee Island.

Therefore your mention of users in this thread treating Berlin as if it's St. John's in terms of slow spring is more than true relative to Tybee Island.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
This is spot-on correct for most of Germany, except for perhaps the Rhine valley south of Karlsruhe along the border with France, which averages a few degrees warmer.

Today for example (April 26) the morning low was 3C/36F and the afternoon high was 7C/45F. I went for a 30 mile bicycle ride and wore a lot of the same clothing layers as in mid-winter.

It will be nice to return to the US later this year and live in the southern latitudes where warm temps can show up in March and linger into November, with some back and forth between warm and cool.
You actually like the Southeast US November-March (and sometimes September-May) back and forth wild swings between hot-blazing hot and mild/cool/cold? Join the club!

There have been countless threads about why that unstable cool season makes the Southeast US 'inferior' or 'not Cfa'. I on the contrary find that when the cards are dealt right that massively unstable weather can make truly awesome weather monitoring.

Tybee Island has less of it compared to most of the Southeast because it is so maritime, so a better example of well dealt cards is Tallahassee cold hole airport in 2015+2020, 2 years I unfortunately either didn't explicitly monitor Tallahassee in or were out of climatology.

Some of the best these years had to offer was the discrepancies in monthly averages and extreme minima/maxima relative to normal, as well as standard deviation from both averages and one month or season to the next. Here are 1991-2020 normals for comparison - you can see there was much deviation from the usual, and not necessarily in an orderly fashion!

Any Southeast US climate that's not as moderated as Tybee will be similar to the above example in good years. Spectacular to monitor for those elsewhere and great to live for those who like some variety.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 04-26-2023 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 01:02 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Quote:
So since winter is mild then spring is somehow diminished? That's not my experience. There's no need to suffer through the brutal extremes of an eastern North American climate just to enjoy spring.

Winters around here are pretty mild--warmer than DC on average. Yet a normal March and April still feels decidedly like spring even though we don't get temperatures in the 70s.

The point is that if your winters frequently see temperatures well below freezing which may stay at that level for weeks and even months then seeing 5-10C/40-50F might feel pretty spring-like. But for those who can see 5-10C pretty often in winter, too, it likely doesn't.

A milder winter raises the threshold for what conditions people expect in good spring weather. I would find it difficult to believe that Vancouverites see a day with a 8-9C degrees high temperature and go "spring is finally here!"

In fact, I suspect that a steady diet of such days in March/April would trigger people to talk about spring being miserable this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather