Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 11:13 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
This whole 20-degree thing comes across as a very convoluted way to dance around the fact that Berlin is warmer in spring than places like Toronto or Boston.
I'm not dancing around the fact, I literally admitted it in an earlier comment!

I said:

Quote:
I do not dispute the bolded nor am I saying the bottom unbolded.
To your saying:

Quote:
Berlin has warmer springs than Toronto.

Berlin has warmer springs than Boston.
The reason for the 20C thing was that Veritas Vincit mentioned it and it made sense relative to what you said that I thought was serious. That's literally it, had there been no mention we would not be having this conversation.

Quote:
I mean, the comparison between Berlin and St. John's was meant as a joke--yet you're taking it seriously. Very strange. St. John's in spring is basically Berlin in winter (1.9°C vs 1.4°C). If Berlin were in Canada it would have the warmest springs in the country outside of British Columbia.
I didn't know it was meant as a joke! Lol.
I thought you were serious and I tried to offer a possible explanation that seemed logical enough based on the much-mentioned 20C days that Berlin stacks up to Tybee Island similarly to how St. John's stacks up to it.

If you were joking I suppose this conversation doesn't really matter anymore.

Quote:
Yes, that part was a joke.

What's not a joke though is that I still find this thread a rather gratuitous attempt to inflate the southeast by comparing it to a place that's closer to the North Pole than the equator.
This thread literally can't be inflating the Southeast US, it's the way all climate battles are, comparing climates to gauge fellow member preference and get some discussions about why each member prefers the climate they do.

It was made in jest, as I believe I've alluded to earlier. The inspiration was the shockingly bad seasonal performance of southern Louisiana and I wanted to try and get something good out of that, which was the idea for a climate battle with a list place that I'd seldom have to worry about doing what southern Louisiana did while still being a very similar climate instead of a place like Sarasota.
When places like Lafayette and Donaldsonville are getting those December 26 last frosts they were cheated out of, I'll be putting them up not against immensely further north places, but against fellow Southeast US places I feel are appropriate to showcase that good performance against like Orlando or Miami or anywhere up to about the Outer Banks.

Good Southeast US performance is what's good for my go-to of Southeast US/other North American place climate battles. That's why I will be making Burlington Pier vs Albany for 2020 (my next planned thread) and not 2022, for example.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 04-27-2023 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m going Tybee here.

I can tolerate heat - I did for 17 years in Texas, not even using AC in the car. Love it? No. Tolerate it? Absolutely yes - and I imagine that there’s some coastal breeze which helps as well.

On the flip side, I moved last year to a climate which isn’t entirely dissimilar to Berlin’s. Temps are roughly the same, a lot more snow than Berlin. I found out how passionately I despise winter. As in, with the fiery passion of a thousand stars. Both are roughly equally cold which is physically painful for me. Less snow helps Berlin, but holy clouds, Batman, look at that lack of sunshine hours!

It’s not even a close one for me.
I think there would be quite a bit of a sea breeze in summer - the hottest average high in Tybee Island is 2.6C colder than the hottest in the mainland Savannah airport, suggestive of a notable breeze, especially within 100 meters or so of the beach.

You would probably find it very refreshing actually. Tybee has the hottest month 3.4C colder for average highs than Tyler, and with the seabreeze it would be much less disagreeable.

Old 04-27-2023, 04:08 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I'm not dancing around the fact, I literally admitted it in an earlier comment!

I said:

To your saying:

The reason for the 20C thing was that Veritas Vincit mentioned it and it made sense relative to what you said that I thought was serious. That's literally it, had there been no mention we would not be having this conversation.

I didn't know it was meant as a joke! Lol.
I thought you were serious and I tried to offer a possible explanation that seemed logical enough based on the much-mentioned 20C days that Berlin stacks up to Tybee Island similarly to how St. John's stacks up to it.

If you were joking I suppose this conversation doesn't really matter anymore.

This thread literally can't be inflating the Southeast US, it's the way all climate battles are, comparing climates to gauge fellow member preference and get some discussions about why each member prefers the climate they do.

It was made in jest, as I believe I've alluded to earlier. The inspiration was the shockingly bad seasonal performance of southern Louisiana and I wanted to try and get something good out of that, which was the idea for a climate battle with a list place that I'd seldom have to worry about doing what southern Louisiana did while still being a very similar climate instead of a place like Sarasota.
When places like Lafayette and Donaldsonville are getting those December 26 last frosts they were cheated out of, I'll be putting them up not against immensely further north places, but against fellow Southeast US places I feel are appropriate to showcase that good performance against like Orlando or Miami or anywhere up to about the Outer Banks.

Good Southeast US performance is what's good for my go-to of Southeast US/other North American place climate battles. That's why I will be making Burlington Pier vs Albany for 2020 (my next planned thread) and not 2022, for example.
Seems like we're arguing about each others jokes. Not much point in that!

For the record, I would be far more interested in a climate battle between places that have more overlap between them. As Lancerman said, this kind of battle boils down to what kind of fruit you prefer and that's not very interesting to me.

Old 04-27-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Seems like we're arguing about each others jokes. Not much point in that!

For the record, I would be far more interested in a climate battle between places that have more overlap between them. As Lancerman said, this kind of battle boils down to what kind of fruit you prefer and that's not very interesting to me
One step ahead of you there pal! Great minds think alike and it is for this reason that I already made Charleston/Dallas (2017): https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...as-2017-a.html

Best compare and contrast of overlap in the Southeast US IMO. Same latitude quintessential Cfa climates, but Dallas that you would expect to perform poorer in my criteria is having its warmest year ever and is outdoing Charleston by a considerably larger margin than most would expect Charleston to outdo it by.
I agree completely that when you have a well performing station, the overlap is ideal because it establishes points of comparison and contrast from the get go and will give you comparisons like that.

It is for this reason that my first climate battle once I finish the 2014-2023 normals will be FSU Tallahassee vs the downtown Austin Wikipedia box (the point of comparison and contrast being to see how they stack up against each other as same latitude places, as well as being a far more appropriate comparison than the Wikipedia boxes which uses the KTLH cold hole).
Plus their overlap is furthered in that their airports have both officially been stated to be cold holes (Austin by weather.gov/ewx, Tallahassee by James Elsner and Kelly Godsey), so it is of interest to see how the non cold hole sites stack up

I think you and Lancer will like that one more, I sure do and I also know I've been excited to make it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather