Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 01:38 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,533,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The point is that if your winters frequently see temperatures well below freezing which may stay at that level for weeks and even months then seeing 5-10C/40-50F might feel pretty spring-like. But for those who can see 5-10C pretty often in winter, too, it likely doesn't.

A milder winter raises the threshold for what conditions people expect in good spring weather. I would find it difficult to believe that Vancouverites see a day with a 8-9C degrees high temperature and go "spring is finally here!"

In fact, I suspect that a steady diet of such days in March/April would trigger people to talk about spring being miserable this year.
Fine, but in a normal March and April temperatures are not 8-9°C. This year being a notable exception--which is why it hasn't felt like spring.

A normal March and April around here feels much different than a normal December and January. Does it feel like summer? No, but it's not supposed to.

I'm in Victoria not Vancouver btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Let me try and simplify it.

Compared to Berlin, Tybee Island gets much more of the springish 20C+ weather Veritas Vincit was talking about. Its January is as warm as very late April in Berlin, with similar absolute maximum temperatures, giving the possibility for that springish weather year round.

This is in contrast to the example you mentioned of St. John's and then Toronto. St. John's April is much warmer than Toronto's January instead of the 2 being similar, meaning the relative warmup discrepancy between them is smaller than between Berlin and Tybee Island.

Therefore your mention of users in this thread treating Berlin as if it's St. John's in terms of slow spring is more than true relative to Tybee Island.
Anything that convoluted is obviously a very weak argument.

My point is much more straightforward:

Berlin has warmer springs than Toronto.

Berlin has warmer springs than Boston.

Based on these observations, I'm sure spring in Berlin feels very much like spring. Unless you're saying spring in Boston doesn't actually feel like spring?

Old 04-26-2023, 02:02 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,426,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Anything that convoluted is obviously a very weak argument.

My point is much more straightforward:

Berlin has warmer springs than Toronto.

Berlin has warmer springs than Boston.

Based on these observations, I'm sure spring in Berlin feels very much like spring.
Unless you're saying spring in Boston doesn't actually feel like spring?
I think we aren't talking about the same thing. I do not dispute the bolded nor am I saying the bottom unbolded.

What I am talking about is entirely relative to reaching the 20C+ weather Veritas Vincit was speaking of - it is what I am referring to in terms of the spring not coming as fast.
Because Tybee Island has a January nearly as warm as Berlin's April/May transition, it is going to have spring weather come around much faster if the spring weather in question one wants is 20C+ weather, as was being discussed in the comments I am talking relative to.

This does not mean that Berlin's spring does not feel like spring. This means that the 20C+ warm days some would want are going to be appearing months earlier in Tybee Island, so in that mentioned sense it is St. John's in comparison to Tybee Island (using that analogy since it was brought up and what I mentioned above explains it).

Doesn't get any more complicated than that. I hope this explanation was sufficient.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 04-26-2023 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 02:42 PM

1,557 posts, read 880,896 times
An apples and oranges thread when it comes to temperature comparisons.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I think we aren't talking about the same thing. I do not dispute the bolded nor am I saying the bottom unbolded.

What I am talking about is entirely relative to reaching the 20C+ weather Veritas Vincit was speaking of - it is what I am referring to in terms of the spring not coming as fast.
Because Tybee Island has a January nearly as warm as Berlin's April/May transition, it is going to have spring weather come around much faster if the spring weather in question one wants is 20C+ weather, as was being discussed in the comments I am talking relative to.

This does not mean that Berlin's spring does not feel like spring. This means that the 20C+ warm days some would want are going to be appearing months earlier in Tybee Island, so in that mentioned sense it is St. John's in comparison to Tybee Island (using that analogy since it was brought up and what I mentioned above explains it).

Doesn't get any more complicated than that. I hope this explanation was sufficient.
If Berlin is St. John's then what does that make Toronto and Boston both of which are colder than Berlin in spring?

Old 04-26-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
If Berlin is St. John's then what does that make Toronto and Boston both of which are colder than Berlin in spring?
In the discussed 20C+ respect, relative to Tybee Island, I'd say they are probably Sable Island (which has even stronger lag, to account for their being colder). In particular it's not unusual for us to have to wait until May for the first 20C, let alone 22-23C, so I would definitely go with the stronger lag analogy.
EDIT: I looked up the Boston data and it would be a bit earlier than Berlin for the mentioned 20C aspect even if colder overall. So I'd rank it a bit above, I suppose, relative to Tybee Island.

There would have to be a Toronto/Boston/Tybee Island thread for Toronto and Boston though, since this thread is just Berlin and Tybee.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
In the discussed 20C+ respect, relative to Tybee Island, I'd say they are probably Sable Island (which has even stronger lag, to account for their being colder). In particular it's not unusual for us to have to wait until May for the first 20C, let alone 22-23C, so I would definitely go with the stronger lag analogy.
EDIT: I looked up the Boston data and it would be a bit earlier than Berlin for the mentioned 20C aspect even if colder overall. So I'd rank it a bit above, I suppose, relative to Tybee Island.
Sable Island is warmer than St. John's in the spring.

Berlin is warmer than both of Boston and Toronto in the spring.

So why is Berlin like icebox St. John's whereas Toronto and Boston are like subtropical Sable Island? That makes no sense.

Quote:
There would have to be a Toronto/Boston/Tybee Island thread for Toronto and Boston though, since this thread is just Berlin and Tybee.
This thread just seems like an attempt to distract from the fact that you're losing in the Dallas-MSP-Miami thread.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:53 PM

8,542 posts, read 4,783,181 times
I’m going Tybee here.

I can tolerate heat - I did for 17 years in Texas, not even using AC in the car. Love it? No. Tolerate it? Absolutely yes - and I imagine that there’s some coastal breeze which helps as well.

On the flip side, I moved last year to a climate which isn’t entirely dissimilar to Berlin’s. Temps are roughly the same, a lot more snow than Berlin. I found out how passionately I despise winter. As in, with the fiery passion of a thousand stars. Both are roughly equally cold which is physically painful for me. Less snow helps Berlin, but holy clouds, Batman, look at that lack of sunshine hours!

It’s not even a close one for me.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Sable Island is warmer than St. John's in the spring.
Not in terms of the 20C days aspect that was the point. The record high is 16C in April (should have specified I meant Cape Sable Island, whoops) that is similar to Toronto's that is Sable Island relative to Tybee Island, whereas St. John's has reached 24.1C in April similar to Berlin's maximum, so Berlin is St. John's relative to Tybee Island.
Toronto is further behind Tybee Island than Berlin is here, so that's why Cape Sable Island is its analogy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Sable_Island#Climate

Quote:
Berlin is warmer than both of Boston and Toronto in the spring.

So why is Berlin like icebox St. John's whereas Toronto and Boston are like subtropical Sable Island? That makes no sense.
I'm not saying that, in fact I'm saying the exact opposite about Toronto. Berlin is ahead of Toronto at least in the mentioned 20C+ days, although it is behind Boston, regardless of whether it is warmer overall.
So Boston is a bit less than St. John's relative to Tybee Island because it sees earlier 20C days than Berlin, and as written above Berlin is St. John's relative to Tybee Island in 20C day terms while Toronto is Cape Sable.

Quote:
This thread just seems like an attempt to distract from the fact that you're losing in the Dallas-MSP-Miami thread.
This is a joke....right?

Old 04-27-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Not in terms of the 20C days aspect that was the point. The record high is 16C in April (should have specified I meant Cape Sable Island, whoops) that is similar to Toronto's that is Sable Island relative to Tybee Island, whereas St. John's has reached 24.1C in April similar to Berlin's maximum, so Berlin is St. John's relative to Tybee Island.
Toronto is further behind Tybee Island than Berlin is here, so that's why Cape Sable Island is its analogy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Sable_Island#Climate

I'm not saying that, in fact I'm saying the exact opposite about Toronto. Berlin is ahead of Toronto at least in the mentioned 20C+ days, although it is behind Boston, regardless of whether it is warmer overall.
So Boston is a bit less than St. John's relative to Tybee Island because it sees earlier 20C days than Berlin, and as written above Berlin is St. John's relative to Tybee Island in 20C day terms while Toronto is Cape Sable.
This whole 20-degree thing comes across as a very convoluted way to dance around the fact that Berlin is warmer in spring than places like Toronto or Boston.

I mean, the comparison between Berlin and St. John's was meant as a joke--yet you're taking it seriously. Very strange. St. John's in spring is basically Berlin in winter (1.9°C vs 1.4°C). If Berlin were in Canada it would have the warmest springs in the country outside of British Columbia.

Quote:
This is a joke....right?
Yes, that part was a joke.

What's not a joke though is that I still find this thread a rather gratuitous attempt to inflate the southeast by comparing it to a place that's closer to the North Pole than the equator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather