Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Wow if the Army won't even train, you know its hot! You are some of the toughest people in the country.
When I was in basic training (Army) at Fort Benning Georgia, they had what was called a "wet bulb" rating. If it went above a certain rating, we couldn't train.

For the life of me though, I never recall "not being able to train," and I mean train hard. Temps were in the 90s with awful humidity and we'd still be out there performing physically demanding training (hand to hand combat, pushups, "the dying cockroach position" for those of you former military that will know what that means, lol. And more).

I suppose the Infantry Training Center ignores such stuff as poppycock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamsugah View Post
My husband is getting stationed in New Mexico...does anyone know what the humidity is like there? I like heat, I hate humidity!
New Mexico has one of the best climates in the entire country, IMO. Love the low humidity. When I lived in Reno, even in the Summer it was nice because of the low humidity.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I actually like humidity as long as the temps don't go above 70F. Then humidity is quite tolerable and even enjoyable. The air feels softer, more refreshing, and easier to breathe. Sometimes the air becomes misty or foggy which adds a certain aura to the atmosphere. Temperatures (50F-60F) which otherwise would feel uncomfortably cool (stabbing with a thousands knives, as CC would put it) feel remarkably mild and refreshing when the humidity is high.

On the other hand, when the temperatures are above 75F or your activity level is above that of someone in a coma, it is torture - you start to sweat all over and sweating does not help at all. You start to itch. Your skin becomes clammy and sticky. Your clothes feel like they are shrinking on you, sticking to your skin, creating a suffocating feeling especially around your collar. You feel like ripping your clothes off like the incredible Hulk. You sweat even more, but this only makes things worse. Even if you find some sort of escape, like an air conditioned building, your clothes are still wet and you will be uncomfortable until you have a chance to change.

Half the time you are in the NYC subway during the summer months, this is how it feels (except in the subway, the air is also still (until the train comes) and often not the most pleasant smelling and dingy). You get drenched waiting for the train, then you are almost shivering on the train because you are all wet and the AC is blowing right on you.
MrMarbles, that post made me laugh out loud. For one, it is accurate as all get out. But the "ripping your clothes off like the incredible hulk" statement is very, very true. I feel the same way.

I'm still laughing, and laughter is the best medicine. Thank you, and reps...

Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,614,526 times
I can handle humidity up to a certain point but I would not say I LIKE it! When it gets over 80 and its very humid not a good thing in my opinion.

However, I will take humid over dry heat any day, no doubt about it. An oven is dry heat and I would not put my head in it!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I enjoy 85-88 F, but anything at 80+ F is pretty good.
It was 79 F when I was last in the USVI; swimmable but "not nice" after 10 min.
I can "handle" down to about 65 F without a wetsuit, but either briefly or while doing vigourous swimming. (cold, but it doesn't "hurt too bad" )

What's wrong with merely breaking a sweat?
Some of my fondest memories coincidentally happened while my shirt collar was sticking to the side of my neck.
You Caribbeans are funny people....
There are far worse conditions: a chill getting "to your bones", gosebumped skin so tight it hurts, chattering teeth, stinging skin,impairment of fine motor skills... and this doesn't even have to be Winter; any "non-Summer" weather can do this if you happen to be without a coat, especially if it's rainy and windy.
we camped out at baker lake seattle wash for a week and i went swimming in that lake now that was cold..i could only last for a few minutes,TILL I WENT RUNNING TO THE CAMP FIRE

Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I have no problem with humidity, as long as the temperature is below 60F.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
MrMarbles, that post made me laugh out loud. For one, it is accurate as all get out. But the "ripping your clothes off like the incredible hulk" statement is very, very true. I feel the same way.

I'm still laughing, and laughter is the best medicine. Thank you, and reps...
Heh, thanks. I think I had the experience of heat and humidity that same day so I was able to describe it while it was still fresh in my mind.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What's wrong with merely breaking a sweat?
Some of my fondest memories coincidentally happened while my shirt collar was sticking to the side of my neck.
You Caribbeans are funny people....
There are far worse conditions: a chill getting "to your bones", gosebumped skin so tight it hurts, chattering teeth, stinging skin,impairment of fine motor skills... and this doesn't even have to be Winter; any "non-Summer" weather can do this if you happen to be without a coat, especially if it's rainy and windy.
First of all, why choose between extremes? Just because shivering might be worse than sweating, does not mean sweating is all that great. Also, sweating is where it starts. After comes headache, nausea, extreme tiredness - symptoms which are more analogous to the ones you listed.

Second, I'd say that with appropriate clothing you can avoid most of the cold related discomforts (cold extremities might be a bit more difficult, though).

Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
First of all, why choose between extremes?
Just because shivering might be worse than sweating, does not mean sweating is all that great.

Also, sweating is where it starts.
Easy...
In Toronto we have maybe 30-50 days per year that will not cause sweating or shivering.
Any "non-summer weather" without a coat can easily induce shivering.
Likewise any "summer-like" weather can easily induce at least mild-sweating.

Sweating "where it starts?"
Sweating is usually the worst that seems to happen to most people when the heat index is under 100 F. (Most of Toronto's "sweaty days")
For me, sweating in heat "too cool for heat illness" is no more irritating than having a few mosquito bites.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 07-28-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Default Indeed I do like humidity...

Today the dewpoint's been between 65-67 F (18-19 C) all day,
with temps from 77 F (25 C) with 69% humidity by late morning,
and 81 F (27 C) with 58% by late afternoon.

I cannot believe how much difference the humidity makes.

We had temps similar to this before,
but with dewpoints usually 55-57 F (12-14 C) the shade didn't feel "particularly warm."
But today on the other hand, it's feels "slightly-tropical."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather