Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
If I could pick my temps I might foul things up really good. We don't like the heat and humidity that feeds us. Many of the crops that put food on our table need it to grow. I just need to be a snow bird and enjoy the cool of the far north and the warmth of the south when it's normal.
I crave the same heat and humidity that corn and tomatos do!

Where I'm from,
most melons and tomatos CANNOT ripen outdoors.
All tomatos can and do succeed if started in a greenhouse,
but most mellons no one bothers trying to grow here.

Combination of short growing season,
aggrevated by plenty of cooler (than ideal) days in a typical growing season.
Backyard gardeners have to make sure to by the faster maturing varieties of fruit and veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I crave the same heat and humidity that corn and tomatos do!

Where I'm from,
most melons and tomatos CANNOT ripen outdoors.
All tomatos can and do succeed if started in a greenhouse,
but most mellons no one bothers trying to grow here.

Combination of short growing season,
aggrevated by plenty of cooler (than ideal) days in a typical growing season.
Backyard gardeners have to make sure to by the faster maturing varieties of fruit and veggies.
We have even worse problems here with heat loving plants like Tomatoes and Corn. Tomatoes will only grow in a greenhouse and I don't think I've ever seen corn here grown in the Vancouver area.. both don't like the cool and damp weather for most of the year.
Both are most likely grown in the Okanagan though... I think there might be sufficient warmth there as I know many fruit trees do much better there than here.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
We have even worse problems here with heat loving plants like Tomatoes and Corn. Tomatoes will only grow in a greenhouse and I don't think I've ever seen corn here grown in the Vancouver area.. both don't like the cool and damp weather for most of the year.
Both are most likely grown in the Okanagan though... I think there might be sufficient warmth there as I know many fruit trees do much better there than here.
Corn is one plant that seems to have no problems with southern Ontario.
There are probably varieties of corn that won't succeed here that I'm unaware of.
"Cherry tomatoes" and certain fast-maturing tomatos will ripen outdoors, but again, only certain varieties of tomatos can do that.

Funny how Nomadicus seems to be the first southerner on City-Data to ackowledge
that their "never-ending need for A/C" allows them to grow almost anything they like.
(southerners NEVER want it warm indoors, even "warmish" means their A/C is broke! )

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Seeing trees blossoming almost overnight now...sigh...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM

^^ Seems my comments about the positives of southern growing seasons are falling on deaf ears, lol.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I guess it depends on which side of the fence you are on, love gardening, hate it, love being outside in the heat working in the yard, hate it, etc.!

A little longer growing season would be a good thing, I think but I wouldn't move to get one!

My neighbor behind me, half his backyard is garden, is already doing things in his little room attached to the garage! He gets lots of tomatoes, etc. but he works hard and it is his hobby. Of course, his yard is south of his house, total sunshine all day. My yard is on the north side and mostly shade.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
^^ Seems my comments about the positives of southern growing seasons are falling on deaf ears, lol.
Yep, we probably need growing seasons or what have you, but in my fantasy world, it would never be spring or summer. I hate the heat, the pollen, the geckos, the humidity etc that comes with spring and summer here. Probably really need to move to a cooler part of the country but that's not likely to ever be.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yep, we probably need growing seasons or what have you, but in my fantasy world, it would never be spring or summer. I hate the heat, the pollen, the geckos, the humidity etc that comes with spring and summer here. Probably really need to move to a cooler part of the country but that's not likely to ever be.
I'm not saying that you should be happy to live there,
but at least happy those growing seasons themself exist within the USA...
(most City-Data southerners seem to wish their warmth didn't exist )
else you'd need to import most of your fresh fruits and veggies like Canada does.

There is a part of Texas in the Hill Country I hear that is surprisingly-cool;
low 50's F in winter, barely averages 90+ F in summer.
A big park (State or NP?) is there, with native maple trees even.
Could be nice if you feel you need to stay close to friends.

I too can be irrated by pollen, bugs, sometimes humidity complicates certain tasks
but I hate cold so much more than that, for me it's worth putting up with it.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that you should be happy to live there,
but at least happy those growing seasons themself exist within the USA...
(most City-Data southerners seem to wish their warmth didn't exist )
else you'd need to import most of your fresh fruits and veggies like Canada does.

There is a part of Texas in the Hill Country I hear that is surprisingly cool;
low 50's F in winter, barely averages 90+ F in summer.
A big park is there, with native maple trees even.
Could be nice if you feel you need to stay close to friends.
I'm not sure where in Texas that would be. The coolest part of Texas is generally "the Panhandle" of Texas where I grew up. Are you familiar with Lubbock, Amarillo? Those cities are in the Panhandle. I think I got spoiled living there because it was cooler than Dallas and low humidity.
Of course, you had bad duststorms in the spring. I'm talking BAD duststorms. The sand would even get inside your windowledges. So I guess no place has perfect weather!

At least this year, we have had a cold winter and spring did not come early. Last year I was seeing geckos and trees budding in early to mid February as I recall. Still has been too cold for the geckos yet. By the way, I'm not overly fond of either tomatoes or corn. I do like spaghetti etc. (made with tomato sauce, however)

Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I'm not sure where in Texas that would be. The coolest part of Texas is generally "the Panhandle" of Texas where I grew up. Are you familiar with Lubbock, Amarillo? Those cities are in the Panhandle. I think I got spoiled living there because it was cooler than Dallas and low humidity.
Lost Maples State Natural Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't say what the weather is like,
but take a look at the list of trees that grow there: (Eastern Woodland trees)
American Sycamore, Black Walnut, Green Ash, Black Willow... I believe all of them grow here in Ontario.
For a place that is 71 miles WEST of San Antonio.

Nearby Vanderpool:
Climatology Comparison for Vanderpool, TX - weather.com, TX&sfld2=Dallas, TX, US&clocid1=USTX1400&clocid2=USTX0327
Okay so maybe it's not as cool as I'd thought,
but summers are less intense than in Dallas; hottest month averages 94/69 F instead of 96/77 F.
Also slightly-cooler and wetter than San Antonio, despite being west of there.

Why do I know this?
Until I realised how difficult it would be for me to move to the USA,
Texas fascinated me as a potential place to relocate, so I did a lot of research.

Quote:
Of course, you had bad duststorms in the spring. I'm talking BAD duststorms. The sand would even get inside your windowledges. So I guess no place has perfect weather!

At least this year, we have had a cold winter and spring did not come early. Last year I was seeing geckos and trees budding in early to mid February as I recall. Still has been too cold for the geckos yet. By the way, I'm not overly fond of either tomatoes or corn. I do like spaghetti etc. (made with tomato sauce, however)
True, but I would be satisfied if I enjoyed the predominant weather patterns of any given climate.

Those door-to-door car insurance salesmen haven't come round yet, luv? (Cockney accent )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather