Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Gee mate.
My brother's lucky enough to have escaped Oz to live in one of New Zealand’s cloudiest/coldest climates - in the southern hemisphere that is - in an town called Invercargill, at the bottom of the South Island and bloody hell, he annoys me when he rings me up, crowing how cold it's down there whilst I’m sweating my guts out – not fair whilst he’s in heaven LOL!
Not surprising he refuses to visit here during mid-summer, he’ll visit only in mid-winter in which he finds it too “warm” for him” but hey each to their own LOL!
That could be you too. At least you don't have to change who your are to live your dream.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Gee mate.
My brother's lucky enough to have escaped Oz to live in one of New Zealand’s cloudiest/coldest climates - in the southern hemisphere that is - in an town called Invercargill, at the bottom of the South Island and bloody hell, he annoys me when he rings me up, crowing how cold it's down there whilst I’m sweating my guts out – not fair whilst he’s in heaven LOL!
Not surprising he refuses to visit here during mid-summer, he’ll visit only in mid-winter in which he finds it too “warm” for him” but hey each to their own LOL!
Didn't realize what a lovely climate Invercargill has. Cloudiest city in New Zealand with summer highs around 66 F. I would be jealous too!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Didn't realize what a lovely climate Invercargill has. Cloudiest city in New Zealand with summer highs around 66 F. I would be jealous too!
I reckon this place would suit you more:

Lerwick, UK Annual Yearly Climate - Monthly and Yearly Average Temperatures, Precipitation, Rainfall, Sunshine, Frost, and Wind

Summer highs of 57F and 5 hours out of a possible 19 sunny a day in June. Record highs of about 72F, pitch black by 3pm in December and probably more rain hours than sun hours. And I don't think it's even the worst climate in Scotland

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM

497 posts, read 1,087,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Great surfing down there too. I spent 6 years down there and acclimatized to the point were I was only wearing board shorts/rash vest for the warmest 2 months of surf. Then I moved to Chch and thought they had amazing weather. Invercargill is a great place for watching fast moving storms/bad weather coming in off the sea.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I reckon this place would suit you more:

Lerwick, UK Annual Yearly Climate - Monthly and Yearly Average Temperatures, Precipitation, Rainfall, Sunshine, Frost, and Wind

Summer highs of 57F and 5 hours out of a possible 19 sunny a day in June. Record highs of about 72F, pitch black by 3pm in December and probably more rain hours than sun hours. And I don't think it's even the worst climate in Scotland
Sounds like another lovely climate. Cool, cloudy, windy, and wet. Summers are certainly on the cool side, but in the middle of July I'm sure I'll be dreaming of 57 F highs. Much better than melting in the sun, heat, and humidity during the summer.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
Great surfing down there too. I spent 6 years down there and acclimatized to the point were I was only wearing board shorts/rash vest for the warmest 2 months of surf. Then I moved to Chch and thought they had amazing weather. Invercargill is a great place for watching fast moving storms/bad weather coming in off the sea.
Sounds like a cool place. I'll have to add it to my list of places to visit. When is the best time of year for stormy weather?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
In'gill's manual sun recordings have shown a marked increase from about 15-20 years ago, but I simply don't believe them - it just hasn't "improved" that much (not even a suggestion of related rainfall decrease, among other things). And the electronic readings are much lower - the reverse of the normal relationship - and look more realistic. KQ will dispute this but I know time will prove me right, when our understaffed met. outfits one day do more proper monitoring of stations.

17 years of living in In'gill & Dunedin made it easier for me to tolerate the level of sun I get now.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Speaking of freezing (real freezing weather), brutal here this a.m., below 0, and lucky to reach 5 today. We should be in the high 20's this stage of the game!

I'd love to have 60's right now, I don't mind winter but these colder than normal temps are lasting a little too long!
Your temps are coming to New England soon

Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,536 times
NOT happy that snow is in the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday of next week! Brrrrrrr! NW NC

I detest driving in icy roads!

Spring seems so far away.....

Old 01-22-2011, 07:24 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Well, not quite as cold this a.m., above zero at least but single digits for high temps. Unfortunately this cold will be heading east, sorry gang!

Fortunately tomorrow will be a little better, double digits, a good thing especially with a major playoff game in Soldier Field! Go Pack Go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather