Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 07:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't like sunny days either, love it when it's cloudy and cool.
How about cloudy and bone-chilling?
Even mid-afternoon, having goosebumps that can be tight enough to make your skin hurt.
Some days it's so cold, even my eyelids ache!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM

275 posts, read 836,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Even mid-afternoon, having goosebumps that can be tight enough to make your skin hurt.
yeah, i'll take that over the 90 degree day we're supposed to have tommorow. it's may!!! this is crazy!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:39 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Shocking that we're getting more autumn sunshine (in the case of last month as well as this month so far) as well as much drier weather than would be normally expected. I usually expect autumn to be mostly cloudy with rain/showers, hasn't been the case this year Spring better bring the reverse otherwise I'm gonna wail my head off...

Old 05-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
yeah, i'll take that over the 90 degree day we're supposed to have tommorow. it's may!!! this is crazy!
What? 90 F isn't even that high.
For me, 90 F with 75% humidity would be "irritating," at worst.

Compared to the cold I just described...
I'd rather be fading in-and-out of consciousness,
each pulse beat I can feel my sweat glands pumping out another thick wave of "ooze."
Basically, any heat index up to 130 F would be better for me than extreme-cold.
(^^ those are symptoms of what I consider extreme-heat; extreme heat is not merely sweating without excersize )

I assumed you were warm-natured enough to never have experienced cold affecting you that way.
The fact that my description of my experience with cold appeals to you, it stuns and amuses me.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-07-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Oh yea love it when it's cloudy and bone chilling, although we don't get much bone chilling weather in Houston

Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Compared to the cold I just described...
I'd rather be fading in-and-out of consciousness,
each pulse beat I can feel my sweat glands pumping out another thick coating of "ooze."
Basically, any heat index up to 130 F would be better for me than extreme-cold.

(^^ those are symptoms of what I consider extreme-heat; extreme heat is not merely sweating without excersize )
Have you even experienced a heat index of 130? I doubt it, but please tell us if you have.

Anything above 80 with humidity is uncomfortable for me. Even days with high humidity and temperatures "only" in the 70s aren't very pleasant. But if it is a dry heat, then I don't mind 70s, or even lower 80s. Today is my ideal "warm season" weather. Sunny with highs in the upper 60s to around 70, low humidity. I wish it was like that all summer. After looking at the climate of Newfoundland, it makes Maine look like a tropical paradise and New Jersey like it's by the equator!

And although I don't enjoy days and days of sunshine, I don't think it is the sunshine itself that bothers me. It's the length of the days. It just doesn't feel right for it to be sunny at 7PM. Ideally, I like when it is dark by 5.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Have you even experienced a heat index of 130? I doubt it, but please tell us if you have.
I have been in an un-airconditioned company truck for a two hour drive,
it was a clear sunny day, mid-afternoon with high sun, 98 F and the heat index outdoors was already 110-115 F
which felt mildish and somewhat-refreshing compared to riding in the truck.
I suspect a heat index of 130 F might be like that, in terms of thermal stress.

I also like dry-saunas; my gym's sauna is about 145-160 F and I can handle it for 20-30 minutes without a drink.

I have never felt a heat index outdoors that by itself was "too hot."
I have never seen weather too hot for the sunshine to be too much for me either.

Yet I always see many days a year that are too cold for me, even during mild winters.
This winter was FABULOUS as far as Toronto mild-winters go, and we still had about 5 days that were "too cold" outright.

Sunshine does bother me too, once in a blue moon, like if I'm already tired or sunburnt.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
I have been in an un-airconditioned company truck for a two hour drive,
it was a clear sunny day, mid-afternoon with high sun, 98 F and the heat index outdoors was already 110-115 F
which felt mildish and somewhat-refreshing compared to riding in the truck.
I suspect a heat index of 130 F might be like that, in terms of thermal stress.

I have never felt a heat index outdoors that by itself was "too hot."
I have never seen weather too hot for the sunshine to be too much for me either.

Yet I always see many days a year that are too cold for me, even during mild winters.
This Winter was fabulous as far as Toronto mild-winters go, and we still had about 5 days that were "too cold" outright.

Sunshine once in a blue moon does bother me, like if I'm tired or sunburnt
My car has no AC and over the past several weeks, with the exception of a few days here and there, my back would get soaked with sweat during the drive home, even with the window open full blast. It probably doesn't help when the car is sitting in a parking lot with the sun beating down on it all day.

Another reason to love winter.

Southwestern U.S. may have the conditions you want. Highs over 100 and heat index over 110 at times. Arizona, California, and Nevada may be your cup of tea. Although would you mind winters with highs "only" in the 60s and 70s?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
My car has no AC and over the past several weeks, with the exception of a few days here and there, my back would get soaked with sweat during the drive home, even with the window open full blast. It probably doesn't help when the car is sitting in a parking lot with the sun beating down on it all day.

Another reason to love winter.

Southwestern U.S. may have the conditions you want. Highs over 100 and heat index over 110 at times. Arizona, California, and Nevada may be your cup of tea. Although would you mind winters with highs "only" in the 60s and 70s?
Do you have sunshade(s)? I find they help a lot.

Winter means I cannot leave anything in my car that's sensitive to freezing.
Forget leaving drinks in the car, "just in case."
Forget leaving my GPS in the car, as it is not rated to be stored below -5 F/-20 C.

Muggy summer weather, I prefer 85-94 F
Dry summer weather? 90 F to low-100 F's feels comfy.
Winters? I don't mind 56 F. (since to me it doesn't really feel chilly)

I think I'm pretty flexible...
Winter: cold should be intermittent at most
Spring/Fall: cold should at least break daily-records
Summer: cold monthly-record lows and cool daytime highs are non-existant

Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Do you have sunshade(s)? I find they help a lot.

Winter means I cannot leave anything in my car that's sensitive to freezing.
Forget leaving drinks in the car, "just in case."
Forget leaving my GPS in the car, as it is not rated to be stored below -5 F/-20 C.

Muggy summer weather, I prefer 85-94 F
Dry summer weather? 90 F to low-100 F's feels comfy.
Winters? I don't mind 56 F. (since to me it doesn't really feel chilly)

I think I'm pretty flexible...
Winter: cold should be intermittent at most
Spring/Fall: cold should at least break daily-records
Summer: cold monthly-record lows and cool daytime highs are non-existant

I would have thought you would prefer much warmer winters than 56F....to me, my ideal "winter" shouldn't have any daytime highs below 75F.
Btw, if you lived in Vancouver, you could leave your GPS in the car as our lowest recorded temperature is 0F back in 1950
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather