Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM

371 posts, read 894,738 times

Advertisements

The ceremonies are tedious,but the receptions can be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Weddings are great for single men. Women looking their best and drinking. What is not to like?
I agree. Just take your pick of any of the chicks trying to catch the bouquet. You know they are single, got alcohol in them, and are generally in a "lovey dovey and romantic" state of mind with the ceremony. Your chances of hittin' any of those chicks that night will be very very very good.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
I recently went to a wedding as a single dude, to show support to my friend and share the occasion with him. I knew from the get-go that it was going to be an extremely couples-oriented event, and any chance of hooking up would be nil. And that came true. Don't get me wrong. I found it within myself to appreciate the ceremony, and had a pretty good time at the reception. I pigged out on shrimp and crab cakes, got drunk on good whiskey (so only minimal hangover), took some fun pictures with the newlyweds, and my friend's girlfriend (not the bride) was nice enough to dance with me once. It was innocent foxtrot dancing, and my friend even suggested it when a foxtrot song came on. (He doesn't know it, but she does and wanted to go dance.)

I found the wedding to be "meh" in the romance/pick-up department. Virtually everyone came there as couples, and it was an older crowd to boot. Which made things somewhat more sedate than they'd otherwise be. There was one other single dude my age, and he looked borderline unhappy to be there. (I didn't see if he danced with anyone or not.) And the one single woman has not smiled the whole damn night! I didn't even bother making small talk beyond "how do you know the bride?", let alone asking her to dance. Almost no one else, other than the bride, talked to her, either.

Oh, and there was no bouquet or garter toss, due to the extremely low turnout of single people. Still a nice wedding, though.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:05 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Oh, and there was no bouquet or garter toss, due to the extremely low turnout of single people.
That is actually hardly done anymore. I haven't seen it done in years.... even going back to my daughters wedding 9 years ago.
The number of singles had nothing to do with it.

Glad you went! It sounds like you ate and drank well.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Well since I made this post, my mom actually got married and had a wedding (and predictably divorced again.) It was pretty no frills. Now, I'm decided that I'm only going to attend weddings if it is one of my super super close friends. I still can't stand the idea of a wedding quite honestly.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:32 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
In my 20's, I loved it if I was good friends with those in the bridal party, or in the bridal party. Stay up late drinking, dancing, hanging with friends. What's not to love? Plus you are there to support the marriage of good friends.

If it's a wedding where I don't really know anyone, or know I won't have a good time. I declide.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Sure, why wouldn't I? I have a few suits already, and if I'm invited it is someone I care about and want to see happy. It's just a nice party. I can't think of a downside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings