Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

My mom over the past year as been continuing with verbal abuse. I don't feel like going in to the details. It's affecting my own mental health been going on for some time. It's affecting my relationship with my fiancé. I just feel torn, but my mom doesn't want the wedding to happen. I just don't know if I should invite her to the wedding. Any feedback be appreciated.

Also trying to get back on my feet and establish myself. Almost 28 moved back home when I was 27 after losing my job. In school right now. Probably be a year left in school after the wedding. My fiancé and her mom said that I should move in with them till we both become established. Probably looking at a year at most no more then 2. We pay the mom rent and kind of have our own apartment upatairs. Is this a strange thing? I feel be a burden upon the mom.

Again appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
IF your mom seems dead set to disrupt the ceremony and is against the wedding in general, I would definitely say to drop her from the invite list. You are old enough to make your own life decisions, so if she is not in agreement with your choices and will not support you, then you must decide if you want to include her and her drama in your life.

If she were only upset and "grudgingly" accepting your decision, I would say to suffer through her lack of approval with hope of future reconciliation. Since she is actively against your decision and is working against you, then I say leave her home.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
Frankly its strange for any 28 year old 'man' to be living at his fiance's mom's house.

I wonder why your mom is so against the marriage; are you sure she doesn't have a valid reason?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Send her an invite to the wedding, she then has 2 choices.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
IF your mom seems dead set to disrupt the ceremony and is against the wedding in general, I would definitely say to drop her from the invite list. You are old enough to make your own life decisions, so if she is not in agreement with your choices and will not support you, then you must decide if you want to include her and her drama in your life.

If she were only upset and "grudgingly" accepting your decision, I would say to suffer through her lack of approval with hope of future reconciliation. Since she is actively against your decision and is working against you, then I say leave her home.
Great advice!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
My mom over the past year as been continuing with verbal abuse. I don't feel like going in to the details. It's affecting my own mental health been going on for some time. It's affecting my relationship with my fiancé. I just feel torn, but my mom doesn't want the wedding to happen. I just don't know if I should invite her to the wedding. Any feedback be appreciated.

Also trying to get back on my feet and establish myself. Almost 28 moved back home when I was 27 after losing my job. In school right now. Probably be a year left in school after the wedding. My fiancé and her mom said that I should move in with them till we both become established. Probably looking at a year at most no more then 2. We pay the mom rent and kind of have our own apartment upatairs. Is this a strange thing? I feel be a burden upon the mom.

Again appreciate the feedback.
How about finish school first, then go get your own place and become an independent adult before marrying? If I were your mother, and you were living with me and contemplating marriage after having gone back to school due to losing your job, and no apparent thought of where you two will live, I'd be against it too. I mean, as a parent, I didn't really expect to have my 28 year old son back living with me again, and I sure as heck don't want his "new wife" here with me.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 AM

813 posts, read 601,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
How about finish school first, then go get your own place and become an independent adult before marrying? If I were your mother, and you were living with me and contemplating marriage after having gone back to school due to losing your job, and no apparent thought of where you two will live, I'd be against it too. I mean, as a parent, I didn't really expect to have my 28 year old son back living with me again, and I sure as heck don't want his "new wife" here with me.
What he said (or she...)

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, this.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:59 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times
I am probably not inviting my mother. I have stopped speakign to my father a while ago. It is your day, and you should be surrounded by people happy for you. Don't invite her if you have doubts.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:55 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Why is your mom against the marriage?

And why would a freshly married couple want to live with the other mom?

I would move in with the other mom, get on my feet, move out. Marry then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings