Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,649,445 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.... I still say they need to compromise, even if the parents are paying and you say the cost isn't the issue... I would think the Mom would want to have some say in some areas but not all. I think if I were the Mom here, and cost wasn't an issue, unless my daughter specifically asked me for help, I'd step back and let her plan her dream wedding. That's just me though, i try not to be one of those overbearing moms who have to be involved in everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:47 AM

628 posts, read 2,046,030 times
As a family they should be able to work together on this--generally parents when paying want more guests and more people invited so let them--but I would work on compromises on the food and venue--

Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,792,061 times
They should be able to meet halfway on this if they sit down and discuss their ideas and visions for the wedding. The bride and groom should have a majority of the say in terms of what they want within the budget. The parents had their wedding day and shouldn't try to "relive" through their daughter.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,545,969 times
I'm with the others...compromise!!!!

If the guest list is an issue....split the number into 3rds.
Find out what mom and dad are wanting at the dinner/reception.

If the parents are being generous enough to pay for this, I see no reason they can't take SOME of their feeling or suggestions into consideration.

If the B&G present this solution to the parents 1st...I bet the control contest ends peacefully.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
A caveat to what I said before:

If your friend is planning on wearing a dress like this, and her mother refuses to buy it, tell her to be quiet and listen to her mom.

WEDINATOR – Trashing Your Special Day Is Our Prime Directive » Oooh..the claw dress…

Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,052,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A caveat to what I said before:

If your friend is planning on wearing a dress like this, and her mother refuses to buy it, tell her to be quiet and listen to her mom.

WEDINATOR – Trashing Your Special Day Is Our Prime Directive » Oooh..the claw dress…
That dress is friggin' AWESOME!!!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
When you have an hour or so to kill, rummage through that site. Amazingly, astonishingly, fantastically bad stuff.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
This is now happening to a gal friend of mine. She's getting married October of 2010, and her folks are willing to follow the tradition of paying for the wedding (versus she and fiance paying for the wedding themselves, as that is becoming a trend these days). Now, in their minds, as long as her folks could afford it, she and the fiance should be able to dictate how many people to invite, where to have the wedding (and reception), what type of food to have, etc. Basically, she and fiance think that they should be able to have total control of their wedding, even w/ her folks paying for the entire gig (within the budget).

Well, I guess that's not what her folks have in mind. They are now starting to "exercise" control over their wedding, with the justification of "well, since we're paying for your wedding, we should be able to dictate how your wedding should be."

I wish I could tell her how to navigate this, because my husband and I went on to pay for our own wedding, so I really had no experience on how she can solve this issue of what she wants in her wedding vs. what her folks want for her wedding.

Any advice?

If it were my friend I would advise her to have a serious sit down with her parents and try to talk this out.

It's not completely unreasonable for her parents to want some say so in things, since they are coughing up what will likely be A LOT of money. BUT, to turn this into a battle of wills or fight for control would be so sad.

Tell her to make a list of her 3 most important "must haves" and see if she can get her parents to agree to them. Then, she should allow her parents to do the same.

The reality is, in a situation like this lots of compromise is called for

Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,246,230 times
As a wedding photographer, I've run across this kind of problem a few times. The parents are offering to buy a gift (wedding), so they should be able to select the gift. If the bride and groom don't like what's being offered, they should refuse it and pay for their own wedding.

If you were the parents asking for advice, I'd suggest that you just write the check and be available to help with the wedding plans when asked, but that's not the case. The bride's parents are entitled to restrictions if that's what they want.

This reminds me of a wedding I shot a few years ago. The bride's parents were from wealthy families and had plenty of money to host the wedding event of the year. But there were restrictions: no alcohol at the wedding and no living together for the last month before the wedding. The bride was still in college, and the groom was too young to have a fat bank account.

Oh yeah, and the parents refused to even attend the wedding (let alone pay for it) unless the couple agreed to their demands. It saddened me. I knew the bride's grandfather quite well. If he'd still been alive, he'd have stepped in and straightened things out. A bride should be able to plan her wedding the way she wants it (within budget).

In this case they did compromise -- a lot. I think the bride moved back home for a month and they didn't serve alcohol until after the reception dinner. When the dinner was over, Mom and Dad left the reception, the bar was opened, a keg was tapped, and the party began.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
Any advice?
My best advice for you... is to stay completely out of this mess. It doesn't matter if we think your friend wrong or even right. I've seen this situation go both ways in many families. Your gal friend might have been raised to be an indulged "princess" and that would ultimately be the fault of her parents who raised her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings