Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I wish I could say that anything local is going to be any different. I live in Wellington and find the people to be EXACTLY as you described them in Boca. I've lived here for 5 years and am currently planning to move out of state because I've given up on trying to make it work here. Florida is what it is, and it's just not for some people. I suggest moving out-of-state. It sounds like Austin, Texas would be good for you. Lots of people in your age group, lots to do, very friendly people and great schools.
Boca is way different then Wellington on the people level, but it has changed a lot over the years. I still think the snob levels are much higher in Boca then Wellington and you will find overall a younger crowd in Wellington then Boca.

Moving out due to job or cost of living? Austin and some other parts of Texas have affordable homes and some positive news regarding growth/jobs, albeit it's weather is not too great more humid then here in the Summer and etc, your land locked with no beach unless you live in Houston then that is nothing great. Also some people complain about South Florida being another country, and think Texas is it..till they go there and realize the name Texaco just isn't for the oil company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 12,051 times
Default I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow9d9 View Post
My wife and I are 25, with a newborn, living in Boca. We have been here for 3 years and have found the people to be unfriendly to the extreme. Selfish, materialistic, shallow, and no one cares to have anything to do with one another. Additionally, there is no one in our age group.

Any suggestions of alternative places to live within an hour or so from here? We want a place with some life and friendly, outgoing, relatively young people!
reply: i am a lot older than you and your wife. be happy you are not alone here. i came here to retire. the people are horrible. nobody will even talk to me. i have only been here 7 months and i wish that i hadn't paid cash for my stinking condo and that i could go back to maryland where people actually will talk to me. i hope things work out better for you and your family and for me tooo!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 PM

I have been in Boca Raton for almost 7 months now. I moved from Maryland to retire here. Nobody will even talk to me. I keep trying to be friendly, but these people won't give me a break. I luckily have never met people like this before. I am going nuts from the loneliness. I have never felt so alone in my entire life. Boca Raton stinks!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae4 View Post
I have been in Boca Raton for almost 7 months now. I moved from Maryland to retire here. Nobody will even talk to me. I keep trying to be friendly, but these people won't give me a break. I luckily have never met people like this before. I am going nuts from the loneliness. I have never felt so alone in my entire life. Boca Raton stinks!!!
Did you rent or buy? If you rented, I'd say get out of Boca. There are so many other options to choose from in Palm Beach County, and yes, places people still talk to their neighbors. We received an invitation for a block party just yesterday.

If you bought, and can't readily move, I would suggest joining a civics club... get involved in a political group or social organization that centers around a hobby of yours.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Thank you for your advice. I did buy my condo in Boca. You can't believe how happy you made me by just answering me. Things have to get better here. I can't believe that everybody here is so cold and stuck-up. Maybe I am just getting so sad now that I am just perceiving that the people are so unfriendly.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae4 View Post
Thank you for your advice. I did buy my condo in Boca. You can't believe how happy you made me by just answering me. Things have to get better here. I can't believe that everybody here is so cold and stuck-up. Maybe I am just getting so sad now that I am just perceiving that the people are so unfriendly.
I think you just need to put yourself out there. DO you have a dog? Local dog parks are usually full of people who like to chat and hang out with their dogs.

Are you passionate about any sort of cause? Animals? Children? A friend of mine just started mentoring a young teen, for example, and the mentors often get together to discuss their mentees, etc. I can find out the name of the organization if you'd like.

I would also suggest signing up for a Palm Beach county "adult class" --- it's offered through the local high schools, and the flyers are available in the newspapers when registration comes along. Some other friends of mine are starting a "flower arranging" class next week, and have taken calligraphy and cake decorating in the past. Here's a link to learn more:

http://www.flapennysaver.com/pbeducator/content/pbeducator/ (broken link)

Are you a female over age 50? I would recommend joining something like "The Red Hat Society"... which I imagine is a lot nicer enviornment to be in than uppity snooty crowds: http://www.redhatsociety.com/index.aspx

I know they have a Boca chapter.

It can be challenging meeting new people anywhere. If you move to an unfriendly neighborhood, however, it can be very hard, so you'll have to look outside of your development.

Last edited by TriMT7; 10-16-2008 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Thank you for your advice. I will just have to force myself to "get out there" and keep trying.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow9d9 View Post
my wife and i are 25, with a newborn, living in boca. We have been here for 3 years and have found the people to be unfriendly to the extreme. Selfish, materialistic, shallow, and no one cares to have anything to do with one another. Additionally, there is no one in our age group.

Any suggestions of alternative places to live within an hour or so from here? We want a place with some life and friendly, outgoing, relatively young people!
i'm sure you've been there in 3yrs, but want to let you know, that if you wanted to stay in the boca area, please spend time on foot, in east delray. If you walk the length of atlantic ave from swinton to the beach, and any sidestreets off of that, through your exploration, you will meet many locals who are easy to talk to. If they're not young, they're at least young at heart. But it is a wide variation of ages and all seem to be easy going. I too live in boca, and completely understand your discontent. The further west you are, the worse it is. Otherwise, jupiter is a wonderful town. But if you're looking for action, you probably won't find much there - get creative though - 3yrs is a long time to "cope" without taking action. Write down what your ideal situation would be, and then google those topics, for different towns you're interested in......

Old 10-18-2008, 03:28 PM

123 posts, read 488,045 times
Daisy I am sorry but have you went to areas near by and tried to take a class to meet people? I have family in Boca and was staying for awhile in Wellington which I felt was more to my liking. I have lived in many areas and even in my hometown the people are rude but if you go a few miles away it is better. You said you are retired and I wonder if some sadness is lack of structure so maybe if you get involved in volunterr work,hobbies,etc it may help you. I just don't know why people have to be mean or have an attitude. Regardless of money it does not make one better. The world would be such a better place if people could be nice. Hang in there.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Thank you ,Gina, for your kind sentiments. You are right about some of my problem being loneliness. I'm sure in time I will adjust and be fine.

p.s. I really don't have much choice unless I pick up and move back to Maryland which I can't afford right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach