Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
hmm, well I guess it can be as trashy as you make it, or are used to

I have never been to the flea market and I've lived there my whole life aside from college. There are plenty of shops to check out downtown and all over Randolph County... if people choose to continually go to Walmart & Kmart and then complain that there is no where else to shop.. well that's their stupidity. There are also lots of places to eat, or grab a drink. Plenty of variety if you only try it.

and to the trollop above who said Elkins gave her the impression of wrong turn. My only advise is to go back where you came from, you clearly weren't worthy enough for Elkins and people snubbed you. I was probably one of them... Sorry lol
I was really just kidding here. Elkins is actually the hub for the whole eastern mountain region of WV - people come from an hour and half away to shop in Elkins. While in Canaan Valley, did all my grocery shopping and other shopping in Elkins - it's like the NYC of the mountain region, and it is a very nice town and so is Davis & Elkins College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 PM

6,098 posts, read 9,140,629 times
I was in Elkins today and noticed a few new businesses from my last trip!

It's nice to see Elkins look so nice, and have nice stores and restaurants like it does now.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
We lived in Elkins for a few years and loved it. It was a great place to raise kids. We chose to live in town (Cherry St.) and had great neighbors. We could walk to parks, stores and restaurants. It was very cold in the winter but you did get use to it. We did a lot of outdoor activities all year round and it was awesome for that. There are a lot of family type activities to get involved in. I loved the library at the college. I would still be there if I hadn't been transferred at work.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 AM

15 posts, read 49,875 times
I'm looking forward to it! It will be so nice to be back near a YMCA so my kids can do gymnastics, dance, etc! It seems like a nice town, and the feedback has been generally positive., aside from the "Wrong Turn" girl! Although, there are kind of a lot of horror movies set in WV, when you think about (or google) it!

I'm calling the school today and hopefully within a week or two, we will have a place to live. We'll get there in time to enjoy a bit of summer before school starts up. I'm happy that you have seasons there...it's weird when the weather is the same all year long!

Again, thanks so much for your feedback! You all give WV a good name.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM

413 posts, read 938,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PataKat View Post
Although, there are kind of a lot of horror movies set in WV, when you think about (or google) it!
All an elaborate ploy by those who love the state and want to keep people like WrongTurnGirl out

Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 PM

15 posts, read 49,875 times
Default Dare I ask...

about snakes? I saw an earlier thread about this, but it seemed like it was mainly talking about the southern part of the state.

We just (yay!) found out that our housing was approved, and it a a beautiful riverfront home. I was so preoccupied with the idea of my son wandering off into the river, that I totally forgot about my obsessive phobia of snakes! I know that they are more afraid of me then I am of them, and I know that they won't hurt me...but they sure do scare the hell out of me!

Also, is flooding an issue in Elkins? We live near the Conneticut river, but our town never, or at least very rarely, experiences floods because of a nearby dam.

We are really looking forward to the move, especially now that we have found a house! We will be there just in time for the Blues festival, so that will be fun!

* As a weird side note, I just wanted to point out that I almost never see snakes, and I am sure that it isn't that there aren't any around. I think I have snake-blinders on. We have lived all over the world, to include Texas, which may arguably be the snake capital of the world, and have only seen ONE garden snake, because it was on my front step.

Last edited by PataKat; 05-18-2011 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Tried to make myself seem less crazy

Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
In all the time I've spent in the area, I've seen one snake. (plenty of salamanders though). Elkins is an area that will have snakes but it's not like you'll likely have to worry about them.

Anytime you are near a river there is a chance of floods. It's not an every year event. I'm sure other will be more exact but when was the last big one? 1980 something wasn't it?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 104,919 times
I lived there most of my life and never saw any more snakes than other places in the country. I also hate snakes and avoid them as much possible.

Flooding isn't much of an issue since the town is controlled by a flood control system. The small streams and such away from the flood control system see more flooding, but still not much if you don't live in the flood plains. The flood of 1985 and 1993 are the only large floods I have seen, with the 1985 flood pretty much hitting everybody in the state and beyond.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,311 times
The rocky mountainous areas are known for some timber rattlers, but as a teenager, I traversed areas such as this (dolly sods) by motorcycle and hiking many many times over several years - day long trips, and I think in all this time I only saw one rattler - squshed by a car on the road up to the sods. I would not worry much about snakes - there are many, many places where there are many more snakes than Elkins (like where I live now in NC )

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
The rocky mountainous areas are known for some timber rattlers, but as a teenager, I traversed areas such as this (dolly sods) by motorcycle and hiking many many times over several years - day long trips, and I think in all this time I only saw one rattler - squshed by a car on the road up to the sods. I would not worry much about snakes - there are many, many places where there are many more snakes than Elkins (like where I live now in NC )
My grandpa usually kills 3-4 rattlers a year. He has a looooot of property that i wooded and mountainous between Elkins and Canaan Valley. I personally, have never seen a rattle snake in my life. I too freak out over snakes... It's strange if I see one I can literally take flight and be 4-5 feet in the air in mere seconds...haha I usually only see tiny little garter snakes or little brown snakes.

The big flood was in 1985, and while it did damage in Elkins. Elkins was the ONLY functioning town in the area. All the other towns were basically shut down for months while cleaning took place. I'd say having the flood control plant, dyke helped a lot.

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 05-18-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia