Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you support?
Obama 7 30.43%
Mccain 11 47.83%
Nader 0 0%
Ronald Mcdonald 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

17 posts, read 54,404 times

Advertisements

OBAMA, MCCAIN - How much does your VOTE really count?

A Debate, a decision, they tour the country to be with there supporters and prove some valid points in hope to win you over as a vote, or is it all just a very expensive game, and if it is, then what are the rules... I doubt it's who's more popular, but that sure could have been argued in the beginning when Hilliary and Obama were head to head, but now it only seems to me that it's not going to be the voters opinions on who's going to win at all, but who has the most benefit for the wallets behind the curtian. And yes, if it were so that would be a sad day in history, that we can have what is thought to be a ledgitament and non-bias voting system, only to be an elaborate gimic for the public to make them feel as if they've accomplished something. I fear that we are being dragged along to feel that are votes matter...

Does it only feel this was because of the position our country is in or does it only seem that way? What are your opinions?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
Neither candidate has an economic plan which will lead to the long term stability of the economy. Our economy is hedged upon the dollar being the de facto fiat currency of international resource trade (specifically, the petrodollar) and I honestly don't think either candidate can strengthen the dollar. As it slides further and further against other currencies, the Euro and the Ruble become more attractive. Neither will balance the budget, neither will bolster stateside production and there will continue to be a trading deficit against the dollar; it is destined to lose more value.

Let's be honest. They are well groomed snakeoil salesmen and nothing will change here in Appalachia. As long as the country is stuck in a vacuous us vs them, good vs. evil, black vs. white two-party dichotomy the person who happens to be president is rather inconsequential.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,826 times
Motion to move this to the political forum.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM

well I'm not throwing obama out the window, but he goes on to explain how he wants to work on more efficient ways to use coal... and for the many people wishing mountain top removal to stop, that would have only been a memory of an idea in the years to come if obamas in, but there will be more jobs, and that will be benificial to alot of families. and mccain.. i dunno, either way doesn't seem any good....

Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraron View Post
well I'm not throwing obama out the window, but he goes on to explain how he wants to work on more efficient ways to use coal... and for the many people wishing mountain top removal to stop, that would have only been a memory of an idea in the years to come if obamas in, but there will be more jobs, and that will be benificial to alot of families. and mccain.. i dunno, either way doesn't seem any good....
Ah, that's better, now it's about West Virginia. Thanks.

Rescinding motion to move to political forum.

You'd have to bring an expert in to discuss this. There is no compromise with surface mining operations (mountaintop removal). Historically, when politicians talk about compromise, it's just a way of extending the problem indefinitely. Pardon my pessimism.
http://factcheck.barackobama.com/fac...mining_ref.php

Last edited by r601020; 09-15-2008 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
I'm just throwing this out there.... Ronald is going to win... this a no brainer.. ha ha

I think this should stay here though... I mean it is only pertaining to the WV presidential race right?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
I am seriously still planning on voting for Bill Stewart.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Ah, that's better, now it's about West Virginia. Thanks.

Rescinding motion to move to political forum.

You'd have to bring an expert in to discuss this. There is no compromise with surface mining operations (mountaintop removal). Historically, when politicians talk about compromise, it's just a way of extending the problem indefinitely. Pardon my pessimism.
Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need |

compromise? Many people would like to see that happen
Well I ment the amount of people who would actually rather see a new form of energy source to the area , one that dosen't destroy the mountains nor takes jobs away, it could happen.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
No one said Ronald McDonald was part of the race, this changes everything.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
I won't vote in this poll because I'm still undecided. Yes, OP, voting has smacked of being forced to choose between a rock and a hard place since I started voting back in the day. See HBO documentary on diebold and ask yourself why voting booth reform hasn't happened. Apathetic voters claiming to make a political statement by abstinence should have been all over it like white on rice, but instead, more apathy. "What's in it for me" is their real motive. Congress hasn't touched it because it calls into question how they got in their own chairs.

I think the checks and balances of democracy have been ill for some time, and in contrast to WVU pharms statement that it doesn't matter which idjut is figurehead; I think Bush abuses of executive power proves that theory absolutely wrong. Who among you voted for him twice, perhaps the consequences are clear now?

I like that McCain is a vet, and the value to me is all about not being willy nilly about use of military might. I'm a vet myself, and my brothers in arms are owed nothing less than an honest mission to defend their country. Trading their blood for petrodollars? High treason IMO. Problem is he supports Bush policy, intends to 'stay the course' we never had any business pursuing in the first place. His economic policy is also equally twisted, perpetuating the credit card mentality that hastened the economic downward spiral (thanks, Reagan!).

Anyone care to explain why our foreign policy has turned into soldiers of fortune fighting middle eastern civil wars? Saw a T shirt last week on a young man- "Benedict Arnold was also a war hero". Go ahead, historians, see truth from lies in that statement. Power struggles- who is the hero, who is the villain?

Obama- no doubt in my mind we need fresh brains and changes must happen if democracy is to survive. Changes can also mean restoring what worked before, or getting rid of policies that get exploited by the worst element of our own country. I'm not afraid of change unless it's change for the sake of change- not an intelligent approach. I didn't vote for Obama because I had doubts he could deliver & messages were vague. I KNEW Hillary could deliver.

I generally disagree with social liberals who mean to carry overweight people to their dinner, and prefer social policies that offer open opportunities for anyone willing to work for them. Remove the excuse for abject poverty people convince themselves to go along with in perpetuity for generations. The former is productive, the latter is not. The equivalent in the republican camp is carrying a bloated corporation to it's dinner, undermining the very capitalist system they claim to adore.

Are social liberals evolving? Can they admit what doesn't work better than neocon's who can't ever admit they've made a mistake? Neither extreme is something that would get my vote. I see and hear their issues, think those issues are legit, but I find their solutions dubious & imbalanced. Far too many consequences that don't serve the greater good. I'm centrist, and don't yet have a party that is truly my own. Obama is a DINO, McCain is a RINO. None of us seem to fit in the old boxes.

I can agree with WVUpharm on 2 issues. The 2 party system is a problem. My reasons for saying so; they're in the business of self preservation at the expense of statesmanship and the greater good. Secondly, this larger economic/ energy policy mess took over a century to make, and no candidate can fix it in 4yrs. Not even if Jesus Christ himself sat in the oval office.
BUT... continue perpetuating the problem, or try something different to get us back on track/another direction? That appears to be the bare bones choice between candidates (as if anything could be that oversimplified and still be telling the truth).

As gifted an orator Obama is, he's failed to communicate to the pragmatists like myself. He comes across like a romantic in speeches, even if his economic plan has factual merits of being able to pay for themselves. McCain aligning himself with Karl Rove is the same political poison that sponsored the last 8 yrs of our history. He really needed to be his own man. I'm saddened to see him laid so low in bed with these creeps who have nothing but contempt for the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia