Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,052,264 times

Advertisements

Appalachian coal runs thin - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,092 times
All of the "high wall coal" is gone. That's whey we are seeing strip mining so that it's easier to get to.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Yes, those areas represent the "old WV." If you want the future of the state look at Morgantown.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 PM

4,965 posts, read 8,959,837 times
Unfortunately, this will hurt the entire state since the coal severence tax is such a large part of our economy. Plus, when you factor in additional lost tax revenue from lost jobs and less money spent, that will mean less money distributed throughout the state. Services that rely heavily on government subsidies will be hurt as well.

This is a factor of our state putting all of its economic "eggs" into one basket. We need to start diversifying now before it's too late. Putting all of our eggs into another limited fossil fuel isn't the answer either. It would also be a good time to start getting tough on disability fraud, medicaid fraud, etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Unfortunately, this will hurt the entire state since the coal severence tax is such a large part of our economy. Plus, when you factor in additional lost tax revenue from lost jobs and less money spent, that will mean less money distributed throughout the state. Services that rely heavily on government subsidies will be hurt as well.

This is a factor of our state putting all of its economic "eggs" into one basket. We need to start diversifying now before it's too late. Putting all of our eggs into another limited fossil fuel isn't the answer either. It would also be a good time to start getting tough on disability fraud, medicaid fraud, etc.
Since almost nothing is distributed to Morgantown or NCWV the economic woes of the rest of the state wont make a difference here.

However, Morgantown is leading the way to diversify the economy. It is already diversified in NCWV and Eastern panhandle. hopefully the rest of the state will follow.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Since almost nothing is distributed to Morgantown or NCWV the economic woes of the rest of the state wont make a difference here.

However, Morgantown is leading the way to diversify the economy. It is already diversified in NCWV and Eastern panhandle. hopefully the rest of the state will follow.
My guess is that you are rooting for the collapse of "southern WV"? Just based on your posts over the course of the past few months.

You should show some respect towards the industry that risks alot, just so you can turn on your computer and post trash.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 AM

4,965 posts, read 8,959,837 times
If the state can't give a full $200 million to WVU and that gets cut plus they cut federal education subsidies as they are talking about doing, what do you think that will do to WVU and subsequently the economy up there? As "diversified" as your economy is, it all revolves around WVU and a blow to them would be a blow to your entire economy.

Since you guys don't need the rest of the state though, maybe Mon County can secede and become its own state. Then you can keep everything you produce monetarily and then not take from the rest of us as well. But since you get "nothing" from the state, this would be an improvement, right? Maybe you can lead the charge and be the first governor of the state of Monongalia.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,052,264 times
Quote:

I don't think it's ever a good idea to put all the economic eggs in one basket. There is no question that the state needs to diversify. At the same time, natural gas does offer a lot of opportunity for much of the state and serves as somewhat of a buffer to the economic swings in the coal industry.

I agree with you that downturns in coal have a negative effect on the state as a whole. The problem (and it is apparent everywhere, not just in southern West Virginia) is that as the easier to reach coal is exhausted, the operators turn to the easiest and most destructive methods of getting at the remainder. That is more apparent in that part of the state than elsewhere, and it is such a shame because of the permanent damage that is done. We do see some of that happening around here too, and I don't favor those developments.

I'm not sure what southern West Virginia can do to offset the negatives associated with coal issues. I would think tourism holds the most potential at this point and the development of the Hatfield McCoy trail system is an important component of that. I would also expect that transportation industry initiatives could resurface in that region due to the increased gas production... sort of like the Huntington of old, where railroading was a major factor in the regional economy. I think that is a natural with rail and river resources in that area, and interconnectivity with the Interstate highway system there too.

If I were on an economic council in that region, I'd be pushing to develop more service related businesses related to natural gas. Production and distribution of equipment, and transportation resources. I think that falls right in line with some of the things being done at Marshall.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
My guess is that you are rooting for the collapse of "southern WV"? Just based on your posts over the course of the past few months.

You should show some respect towards the industry that risks alot, just so you can turn on your computer and post trash.
On the contrary, I love WV. I am just trying to raise awareness of this issue that people from the Southern part of the state want to ignore. Chris Morgantown is being robbed blind and our infrastructure is meant for half the population. If people from Charleston and the southern part of the state cared about this there would be no animosity. As it is, and you have this attitude too, you deny the problem and advocate that NCWV should get even less. Instead of being divided by small differences cant we work together to create a better WV?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If the state can't give a full $200 million to WVU and that gets cut plus they cut federal education subsidies as they are talking about doing, what do you think that will do to WVU and subsequently the economy up there? As "diversified" as your economy is, it all revolves around WVU and a blow to them would be a blow to your entire economy.

Since you guys don't need the rest of the state though, maybe Mon County can secede and become its own state. Then you can keep everything you produce monetarily and then not take from the rest of us as well. But since you get "nothing" from the state, this would be an improvement, right? Maybe you can lead the charge and be the first governor of the state of Monongalia.
WVU is mostly self-funded. For a state flagship university WVU is severely underfunded so if the state stopped funding it it wouldnt really hurt the school.

I could come back with a cheap remark about how WV should expel Huntington because it is dead weight, but that is not productive. I am not for the destruction of WV like you seem to be. I want to save it, and Morgantown is leading the charge, but some people in southern WV are starting fires as NCWV is putting them out, and robbing money from our wallet. What we need is shift in the distribution system of the state. You get back what you put in, and infrastructure is built where it is needed and not for pork barrel projects.

Tbailey I know you are proud, but you misunderstand me. You and Chris have a very bad anti-NCWV and Eastern Panhandle attitude. People in the south just dont care about these areas of the state. When we mention a problem here, or there, they yell at us to shut up because it doesnt concern them. It is creating bad blood between NCWV/Eastern Panhandle and the southern part of the state, but we want to have a better relationship. To do this you need to stop trying to suppress growth in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia