Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The WV Turnpike is the lifes blood of the state running 64 and 77 together
and conecting the east, west, north, and south to the state.
I can agree that it breathes some life into Charleston, and a little bit into Beckley, but those particular
routes are not really that major on a national scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
That is nothing for an interstate. That is how much you expect a small highway in the middle of nowhere to have.

Also, do you have a source? 80k seems way too low.
There is a portion near Charleston where both interstates use the same road where the traffic count is around 80,000 daily. I don't believe the turnpike per se has that much traffic for the whole length.
That double interstated section near Charleston is basically tied with I-81 through Martinsburg for having the most traffic in the state on an Interstate. I figure in the next few years Martinsburg's portion will pull away though.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
I wonder how many people from Ohio, Kentucky, ect. go to the beaches in Virginia and the Carolinas each year? Though not all of them take the turnpike, I imagine that quite a bit do.

Like it or not, this road certainly has some regional impact (im not just talking about beach trips either.) If it were to be shut down, I don't think that we would just be talking about upset West Virginias. That would impact western Virginia, possibly North Carolina, and other areas. Thousands of people would frequently be rerouted to longer paths.

To add to the above comment, I read (though I can't quote the article) that 82% of the people that pass through the WV turnpike are from out of state.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:24 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
You are correct Pynball.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I wonder how many people from Ohio, Kentucky, ect. go to the beaches in Virginia and the Carolinas each year? Though not all of them take the turnpike, I imagine that quite a bit do.

Like it or not, this road certainly has some regional impact (im not just talking about beach trips either.) If it were to be shut down, I don't think that we would just be talking about upset West Virginias. That would impact western Virginia, possibly North Carolina, and other areas. Thousands of people would frequently be rerouted to longer paths.

To add to the above comment, I read (though I can't quote the article) that 82% of the people that pass through the WV turnpike are from out of state.
Certainly it would impact travel from WPa and WNY. We used to go south via I-76/70 to Washington, then I-95 to the Carolinas and south. It's so much nicer to follow 79/19/77, and not have to get on I-95 (oh how I hate that road!) at all for Myrtle Beach or Charleston, and just for a little bit if headed on to Florida.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post

If the road is so important those states can pay for it.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
Pynball, since the turnpike is a toll road we know that anyone travelling on it is paying for its use. If 82% of the travelers using the turnpike are from out of state, then the road is showing its usefulness to out of state travelers, both for personal and business purposes.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Pynball, since the turnpike is a toll road we know that anyone travelling on it is paying for its use. If 82% of the travelers using the turnpike are from out of state, then the road is showing its usefulness to out of state travelers, both for personal and business purposes.
If that is true why should the state of WV spend its own money on behalf of out of staters?

If anything they need to raise tolls to pay for a road in the middle of nowhere that saves them a little time traveling.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Exactly! This is an important road for the entire region. The Eastern-Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Northern-South regions. (Note: those aren't all actual regions. Two were just parts of regions that are affected by this road)

Old 07-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Certainly it would impact travel from WPa and WNY. We used to go south via I-76/70 to Washington, then I-95 to the Carolinas and south. It's so much nicer to follow 79/19/77, and not have to get on I-95 (oh how I hate that road!) at all for Myrtle Beach or Charleston, and just for a little bit if headed on to Florida.
I-95 is FAR more heavily travelled. I agree it is much easier to take that route through Morgantown/NCWV via US 19 to Beckley, and use the Turnpike than to travel I-95. The section of 95 from DC (The Mixing Bowl) through Richmond alone is nerve wracking enough to put a damper on any trip. I-95 is congested from Boston all the way to Miami. The Turnpike serves a purpose, but the tolls should stay in place until they build us the roads we need in the northern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia