Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:28 PM

282 posts, read 484,664 times

Advertisements

Connie, I'm sure over time you will meet many very nice people and make some great friends. Yes, people can be a little standoffish and negative about everything, which I don't get or relate to at all. Was never brought up that way, but it is what it is. We need more people here like yourself to help change that.

But I also agree with you the area is very beautiful, something we probably take for granted. The mid ohio valley is one of the most beautiful stretches of the Ohio river valley, and just wait until you see our mountains!

I do understand the area really boomed around the start of the 20th century from oil and gas. Then some very large industries followed. It was on its way to becoming a fairly large city but I think being so low on the flood plain curtailed its ability to really grow. It flooded frequently, which is the reason for our flood wall. The population of Parkersburg used to be almost 50,000, now it's closer to 30,000 (fourth largest city in the state.) But the main reason for that is many people have moved to the surrounding areas and communities outside of the city, including Ohio. So while the population of Parkersburg itself has dropped greatly the past 30 years, the Parkersburg/Marietta metro population hasn't changed that much. Most of the positive talk now involves the possibility of several new large plants to locate next to the huge DuPont plant in Washington, west of downtown. If that happens it will spur significant development and population growth. But it's still a big if for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
Glad to hear things are progressing well in some areas. I hope you find a niche with finding less "standoffish" people. Check out the Community News section of the Parkersburg News and Sentinel and maybe you will find a group that needs new members or volunteers that will help you get acclimated better than you already have.

There is a lot more here than most people realize or imagine; particularly if you also don't mind the drive up to Marietta occasionally.

Best wishes.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 PM

26 posts, read 46,556 times
Thank you for your responses, pknopp, route50guy, and bballjunkie. It will be great to join some groups - help those less fortunate, and make some good friends.

Route50guy, new industry will be great to promote growth. Hopefully it will be long-term growth, in that the industries will be those which provide a decent living and promote family life. This would help bring in families, retail, new homes, etc.

The downtown Marietta area is fun. It is great to walk through downtown, walk along the river, and see the preserved historical sites. Parkersburg downtown looks like it is trying to do the same. Do you know what the old building was from the NE corner of Market Street/ 4th Street?

Best regards, and again ... thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Connie

Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 PM

282 posts, read 484,664 times
I'm not sure if you meant the northwestern corner. That is the old Citizens Bank Building. Here it is on this website, back when downtown was thriving. Just scroll down the page.

PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA: LOOKING NORTH ON MARKET FROM FOURTH STREET (intro page)

There are all kinds of cool pictures on this website. Another interesting place from long ago was Terrapin Park, located in the vicinity of the new Hampton Inn near downtown. Sad that these places are no longer around.

PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA: TERRAPIN PARK

Old 12-12-2015, 01:14 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Default where exactly is Parkersburgh in West Virginia?

I am looking into retirement places to settle in. Parkersburgh came up in a conversation & the cost of living looks good. I will probably visit in the spring but want to find out as much as I can before then.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:24 AM

Okay, I found it on the Atlas, but why am I not seeing the Ohio River?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:37 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Google can show you.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:38 AM

110 posts, read 224,262 times
"Okay, I found it on the Atlas, but why am I not seeing the Ohio River?"

Because you are looking at too small a picture, rivers don't show up.
Search Parkersburg, WV.

If you get too close a detail, you won't see the Ohio because map makers showing the city streets don't bother to put the river in. On the west side of the river, the city is Belpre, Ohio.
Parkersburg was settled because it is where the Little Kanawha River flows into the Ohio.

The Ohio River forms the western boundary of the state of WV. Thus it forms the border of the northern and the most western of the WV counties. The Big Sandy joins the Ohio at Huntington. The Big Sandy forms 29 miles of the southwestern border of WV. The Tug Fork River forms 159 miles of the southern border before it flows into the Big Sandy. Borders based on rivers are very irregular. The straight lines at the top of the state are the result of the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:42 PM

Thank you for the info. One of my requirements is that I have to be by water. I don't know if it comes from being born & raised in the land of 10,000 lakes, but I do not do well without water close by. Also, I love to fish & you need water for that, lol.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Couple, three hours from Parkersburg and you are in some of the best trout fishing streams in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia