Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:24 PM

51 posts, read 56,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
False. Google turns up some nice accolades, but I dont see any "best small city in the country" awards or recognitions, and certainly not "multiple times in the past decade"

And that same "Some of the most beautiful geography this side of the Rockies" (which is very subjective) can be found all along Appalachia in the other Appalachian states as well, WV doesnt have a monopoly on it, or nice small cities close to metro areas within Appalachia either......
Recognition | City of Morgantown, WV official website

There's a lot of accolades. Maybe not one that says "best small city in America"- maybe that's how the headline ran when I read about it years ago, but I digress.

I would say you exaggerated a bit when saying
Quote:
the overwhelming sentiment amongst the general public is one of "I cant wait/Need to get outta this town" (Morgantown) or "I cant wait/Need to get outta this state"......There are people who love it here for some odd reasons, but the majority either hate it or are just blah about it
I've never heard anyone say anything like "I've gotta get outta here" in regards to Morgantown or West Virginia and I've been here my whole life. It's certainly not the overwhelming sentiment of the public!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:03 PM

891 posts, read 1,054,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvAlmostHeaven View Post
Recognition | City of Morgantown, WV official website

There's a lot of accolades. Maybe not one that says "best small city in America"- maybe that's how the headline ran when I read about it years ago, but I digress.

I would say you exaggerated a bit when saying

I've never heard anyone say anything like "I've gotta get outta here" in regards to Morgantown or West Virginia and I've been here my whole life. It's certainly not the overwhelming sentiment of the public!
I work with the general public, it is indeed the overwhelming sentiment....for every person who says things like "man I missed WV and couldnt wait to get back", or even just "I love it here"....theres at least 5 people who say they want out....sometimes its just that they wanna go back to Charleston or Huntington or wherever else down South WV, but alot of times its WV in general they want out of.....

Old 09-02-2016, 01:23 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
I work with the general public, it is indeed the overwhelming sentiment....for every person who says things like "man I missed WV and couldnt wait to get back", or even just "I love it here"....theres at least 5 people who say they want out....sometimes its just that they wanna go back to Charleston or Huntington or wherever else down South WV, but alot of times its WV in general they want out of.....
Well, I'm part of the general public, and everywhere I look I see new construction because people want to live and work here. I don't hear anybody saying negative things about anything but the infrastructure, with is primarily the state's responsibility that we have little control over. If people didn't value what we have here... a healthy local economy, relatively low crime rate, good schools, proximity to great outdoor venues and large population centers, and one of the 50 best educated populations for a city in the entire country, then we'd be losing population, not gaining it. You have your opinion. You're entitled to that. The many people I know disagree with you.

It isn't just Morgantown either. West Virginia has some really nice towns with lots to offer. The economy is depressed in some areas, but there is something for everyone here. Wheeling, for example, has arguably the world's best municipal park system. Parkersburg is a terrific Ohio River town, and Shepherdstown and Harpers Ferry are historic gems.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 09-02-2016 at 01:31 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
HAHA now that's funny, not saying that a very small minority do but I highly doubt it's that many people. There is a reason Monongalia and Berkeley county are growing really fast, while ALL of the counties down south are either just barely treading water (plus or minus a couple hundred people over a multi year time) or are having people flee from the counties like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

I love WV so I am biased ( I should add though, I am not a native West Virginian (lived in OH, PA and MD) and did not move here until I turned 15) and I will admit it, yes it has its problems but there is a lot of potential. You on the other hand are extremely biased against anything WV, we all know you hate Morgantown and hate WV.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, I'm part of the general public, and everywhere I look I see new construction because people want to live and work here. I don't hear anybody saying negative things about anything but the infrastructure, with is primarily the state's responsibility that we have little control over. If people didn't value what we have here... a healthy local economy, relatively low crime rate, good schools, proximity to great outdoor venues and large population centers, and one of the 50 best educated populations for a city in the entire country, then we'd be losing population, not gaining it. You have your opinion. You're entitled to that. The many people I know disagree with you.

It isn't just Morgantown either. West Virginia has some really nice towns with lots to offer. The economy is depressed in some areas, but there is something for everyone here. Wheeling, for example, has arguably the world's best municipal park system. Parkersburg is a terrific Ohio River town, and Shepherdstown and Harpers Ferry are historic gems.
Those two towns are probably some of the prettiest and nicest small towns in any of the surrounding states.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:51 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Those two towns are probably some of the prettiest and nicest small towns in any of the surrounding states.

"this scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic" - Thomas Jefferson

The founding fathers agreed with you. I can see West Virginia from my back window and while I prefer my side of the Potomac, there is very little difference between it and our neighbors in WV. Living in Appalachia isn't for everyone. For many of us it involves some sacrifice in job opportunities. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world though.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 AM

like I said in my original post in this thread, C-D is where youre gonna get all the "we love it here" people.......but out in the real world- from coal miners and coal truck drivers, to service and retail workers, nurses, corrections officers, etc.....Ive had 5x as many conversations with those type of people who want outta here, conversations initiated by them as well, not me...

Old 09-02-2016, 11:17 AM

51 posts, read 56,078 times
Quote:
like I said in my original post in this thread, C-D is where youre gonna get all the "we love it here" people.......but out in the real world- from coal miners and coal truck drivers, to service and retail workers, nurses, corrections officers, etc.....Ive had 5x as many conversations with those type of people who want outta here, conversations initiated by them as well, not me...
Could be because you have such a disdain for WV that you only converse with people that feel the same as you. In fact, I don't know of a single person that shares your opinion or has the same observations as you.

But I'd say if people hated it here so much, Morgantown wouldn't be building new retail locations, housing, and roads (at a slower pace than needed, but that's a different topic) to service all of the people coming into the region.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvAlmostHeaven View Post
Could be because you have such a disdain for WV that you only converse with people that feel the same as you. In fact, I don't know of a single person that shares your opinion or has the same observations as you.

But I'd say if people hated it here so much, Morgantown wouldn't be building new retail locations, housing, and roads (at a slower pace than needed, but that's a different topic) to service all of the people coming into the region.

nope, I converse with everybody, like I said, I have actually talked to people who do like it here, just the ones that dont happens way more.....the Morgantown is growing argument doesnt work, alot of people are just movng here for their jobs/career paths....same thing happens all over the country, people move somewhere to follow the money, but it never compares to where they came from, so they generally dislike the place but just tolerate it....in fact thats another one I get alot, people from Pittsburgh area with jobs in Morgantown and didnt wanna commute 70 long miles, so they reluctantly live in Morgantown but cant wait to escape back up to Pittsburgh every weekend.....

Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
nope, I converse with everybody, like I said, I have actually talked to people who do like it here, just the ones that dont happens way more.....the Morgantown is growing argument doesnt work, alot of people are just movng here for their jobs/career paths....same thing happens all over the country, people move somewhere to follow the money, but it never compares to where they came from, so they generally dislike the place but just tolerate it....in fact thats another one I get alot, people from Pittsburgh area with jobs in Morgantown and didnt wanna commute 70 long miles, so they reluctantly live in Morgantown but cant wait to escape back up to Pittsburgh every weekend.....
Did you ever consider that since you talk to "everybody" the people who like living in WV quickly pick up on your negativity and move on?

In the real world, people don't really debate with others about the virtues of where they live, that's an internet thing. IRL, if a person with a negative POV finds agreement, they will likely vent a little with you. If a person who likes it there finds interference or senses negativity, you probably get a "Oh, good point" and the person changes the subject or moves on. Your anecdotal observations would fail to include those people who are happy with where they live because they don't want to waste their time arguing with someone that disagrees.

I'm on the other side of the river, but we have a "like it or lump it" attitude overall. The negative people associate with each other. The rest of us leave them to commiserate among themselves while we live our lives in relative happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia