Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,389 times

Advertisements

hi everyone me ,my husband and 2 younger kids are thinking about moving next summer we live in Vermont and would like to find something like it we live in the northest part in a small town but theres nothing here and the cost of living is horrible my husbands a farmer but can do a lot of different things but cant get out of farming unless we move4 we would like a town thats kinda quit and more country then city and we would also like to no about house rentals and general living expenses along with jobs we have never been to West Virgina and would love to no as much as anyone can tell us thanks to all that help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
dmch you're a bit vague, which will make it harder for people to give you sound advice. the cost of living is going up everywhere, some more than others. If you're heating your home with oil, I can only imagine how you make it through winter.

Are you trying to avoid the cold or heat? Cooler w/more snowfall is found in the north eastern mtns. Southern tier of the state tends to be warmer by and large. Do you have school aged kids? Like to be close enough yet far enough from stores? Mean to own land immediately or prefer to sharecrop or rent a while? Give folks more info, they're sure to step up.

WEST VIRGINIA USDA Hardiness Zone Map
West Virginia Farmers' Market Directory
West Virginia Farm Bureau
I used elkins as a benchmark, but you can navigate from town to town on this thread by chasing the arrows around. I found these statistics useful.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Elkins-West-Virginia.html

Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Check out Randolph County. I think you could find the perfect mix out rural/urban you are looking for. It is in the north central part of the state and offers easy access east-west via US 33, which once complete will link North Central WV to I-81 near DC. I'll let you check out this website, let me know if you're interested.

Some cities or towns you could check out are: Elkins, Beverly, Montrose, East Dailey.. or many other smaller unincorporated towns.

Welcome to the Heart of West Virginia

http://www.city-data.com/county/Randolph_County-WV.html

If you have any questions just let me know..

As to more about WV in general.. I can help you there as well, just try to give me like an idea of the information you are looking for

Old 07-13-2008, 02:59 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Farming here?...I dont know of a single farmer who does it and makes any money...most are hobbists..or large land owners who are stuck because their farm has been in the family for generations and that is their 24/7 life...sorry.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
I just bought a farm near Hinton (Summers county). I had looked in NY, NH, and Maine amongst other places. WV has a far better cost/acres than any of the other places I looked. Taxes on my place (53 acres/house/barn) are less than $900/yr. The area I'm in is similar to the terrain you're used to, maybe a little bit steeper. We also have two young boys. The schools, as with any, are only as good as the parents involvment makes them.

You really can't go wrong here in WV. There are a ton of places for sale, try landandfarm.com . There are some recent threads regarding work in WV. There IS work available, and it will pay your bills if you live modestly. Plenty of rental houses around my area as well.
~Mark

Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 AM

240 posts, read 732,437 times
Check out Mercer County. Agirculture is a major part of the economy. It's on a plateau so there is flat land.

It is mostly livestock and hay to feed them.

I've never seen the farmer's tax returns but judging from the vehicles they drive and the farm equipment they own, I'd say they're doing well.

Last summer's drought was the exception when there was only one crop of hay and cattle had to be sold early because of no winter feed but that is just part of farming.

A lot of the larger landowners rent out parcels for farming and there are a lot of smaller farms on the market. Check the local paper, the Bluefield Daily Telegraph. Call some real estate agents. I think you can make it here.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:38 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
You might want to check out the area around Route 2 on the western side of the state between Huntington and Point Pleasant. Being next to the Ohio River, there is a lot of flat land there and the mountains are more like rolling hills. Just drove that stretch of road yesterday and noticed several farms for sell that looked pretty nice. The "towns" in this area are usually unincorporated and very small but yet you are still only a quick drive to Huntington or Point Pleasant as the two are only about 45 minutes apart. If the farming didn't work, you'd still be close to Huntington for other forms of work. The farmer's market in Huntington is doing very well right now though so that may be worth looking into as well. Here's a link for you and I hope this helps.
Tim
Farmers Market in full swing - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch
West Virginia Route 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2008, 07:10 AM

620 posts, read 1,839,001 times
Millersangel: DK said you previously posted some nice pics of WV. Could you tell me the thread #? Thanks.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Check out Wild, Wonderful WV. MillersAngel does indeed have some wonderful pictures in that thread.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
Default Might be Moving.. Ripley, WV

My son might have an opportunity in Ripley, WVA.. but I'm having a hard time finding any information regarding rental properties. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could find what's available? He's only 22 so not really interested in a house he'd have to maintain. Also, does anybody have any experience or insight into the town of Ripley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia