Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

Why am I not surprised though that someone from Morgantown would want to sabotage Marshall and deny WV residents from getting an education. That logic works both ways or are you going for the typical double standard that people up there often exhibit toward Marshall and Huntington?
That would only be the case if one actually got an education at Marshall. the University of Phoenix is more prestigious than Marshall.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
From someone who isn't biased...

Morgantown is not a city and never will be one...it's a college town. It's very "small town USA" in both size and feel. It appeals to the college kiddies and has an obvious desire to keep things that way. The area feels like it hs more in common with Pittsburgh and SWPA than it does with other parts of West Virginia, it has more of a midwestern feel. It's not really cosmopolitan or anything like that at all..there's a few nice places and whatnot, but it's basically just your quirky college town that appeals to a loose crowd that wants to kick back. It's 100% youth oriented. People like to think it's more than what it is when in reality it's just a college town, although a very nice college town that's growing and has a ton to offer. I'm probably moving to the area and can't wait.

Charleston is actually a real city...a small one that's fallen from grace, but none the less a real city. There's a huge difference in terms of feel and infrastructure when compared to Morgantown. Charleston is flat-out weird in terms of personality, it's a very odd mix of deep south meets "country" and definately not cosmopolitan or very well to do at all. The older people tend to have southern drawls and are very polite/friendly...the younger residents are pretty much the opposite. Capitol Street is very nice and there's some incredible stretches throughout the city that Morgantown just can't touch. Charleston tries to be West Virginia's representative while Morgantown tries to be WVU's representative. The local restaurants/businesses are quirky yet awsome once you get outside of that stupid mall. Charleston is very "hick" in many places and definately feels like a dead city at times...but it's so incredibly weird that it's a great little city because of that. People watching in Charleston is absolutely priceless...you haven't lived until you've randomly gone from your hotel for pizza at 4am only to see a local "alternative" night club unload into said pizza place unexpectedly. "Bambi, I have an order for Bambi"...absolutely priceless. I always find weird little moments to make me laugh every time that I go to Charleston and could easily see myself living there...fantastic housing stock with good prices too, unlike Morgantown which is mostly overpriced and leaning towards college slums and rental properties.
I agree about Morgantown having a nice small town atmosphere. However, I disagree about the never being a city part. If you are talking about Morgantown city limits than you are technically right. It is a big college town with lots of rental properties. However, Westover, Star City, Cheat Lake, Osage, Blacksville, Sabraton, etc blend right into Morgantown. They are technically seperate cities but it is really one large city. Many people who work in Morgantown also live in Fairmont. If you combine all the small to big towns that merge into Morgantown it is a city.The lack of zoning is making it kinda a sprawling mess.

I also agree with you that Charleston is a small city, that feels right down, its glory is in the past, and it is a hick town.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I agree about Morgantown having a nice small town atmosphere. However, I disagree about the never being a city part. If you are talking about Morgantown city limits than you are technically right. It is a big college town with lots of rental properties. However, Westover, Star City, Cheat Lake, Osage, Blacksville, Sabraton, etc blend right into Morgantown. They are technically seperate cities but it is really one large city. Many people who work in Morgantown also live in Fairmont. If you combine all the small to big towns that merge into Morgantown it is a city.The lack of zoning is making it kinda a sprawling mess.

I also agree with you that Charleston is a small city, that feels right down, its glory is in the past, and it is a hick town.
Ok so Morgantown has Star City 1,366, and Westover 3,941, and Cheat Lake ???, but Charleston has South Charleston 13,380, Saint Albans 11,567, Dubar 8,154, Nitro 6,824, and Cross Lanes with around 15,000. Not to forget about Putnam County which has over 50,000 people that mostly work in Charleston! So in comparison Morgantown has jack squat!

Morgantown is a town, and until it grows seriously it will always be one! Charleston has actually gained in metro population! That is because people want more land to express their American dreams! So they move to our fast bedroom communities. What's wrong with that! I live outside of town too because I want a yard! In Morgantown you don't even get a parking space! You get a tan apartment complex with a porch that hangs out over a drain or ditch!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Ok so Morgantown has Star City 1,366, and Westover 3,941, and Cheat Lake ???, but Charleston has South Charleston 13,380, Saint Albans 11,567, Dubar 8,154, Nitro 6,824, and Cross Lanes with around 15,000. Not to forget about Putnam County which has over 50,000 people that mostly work in Charleston! So in comparison Morgantown has jack squat!

Morgantown is a town, and until it grows seriously it will always be one! Charleston has actually gained in metro population! That is because people want more land to express their American dreams! So they move to our fast bedroom communities. What's wrong with that! I live outside of town too because I want a yard! In Morgantown you don't even get a parking space! You get a tan apartment complex with a porch that hangs out over a drain or ditch!
Charleston shrinking.

Morgantown growing.

Anyway I dont want Morgantown growing too big. The nice part about Morgantown is that while it is a city it has a nice small town feel to it, while Charleston has a ghetto run down feel to it. If I want big city I could go to Pittsburgh, which blows Charleston away in every category. Morgantown has all the advantages of a small town, while having the the amenities of a bigger city. In fact Morgantown has more to offer than Charleston. I just hope as Morgantown grows and Charleston shrinks I hope that Morgantown retains its charm.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I would call students burning a coach because WVU won a riot, much less a race riot. Charleston is not diverse. It is white, with a small black population, but that is WV as a whole. However, the people there tend to have really racist attitudes. Last time I was in Charleston it felt like I took a time machine back 50 years.

Also CAMC is terrible. Ive worked at the WV university hospital. It is full of people from Charleston, and even further south. They travel all the way up to Morgantown to get the best healthcare in WV. I imagine that CAMC might get some people internationally because it is so bad it doesnt cost much. WV also is an international hospital that gets people not because it is the Kmart of hospitals, but offers good healthcare at an affordable cost, as opposed to Charleston which offers terrible healthcare at a affordable cost. CAMC I am LMAO off right now. CAMC does make a lot of money on the side prescribing Oxycontin to half of Charleston though.
Wow, you know nothing yet you reply like you know everything about everything! CAMC is the best healthcare in WV! WVUH come here to learn! Memorial Hospital is one of the best in the world for heart patients and it offers so much more than the state funded Ruby Memorial!

Funny thing is, CAMC gets more people from out of other areas in the state than in Charleston's metro! I don't work there, but I've been around both Ruby and CAMC enough to know which I want saving my life! And its not the drunk WVU student docters!

Charleston has 78.9% white, 12.2% black, and 3.1% asian
Kananwha County has 88% white, 6.1%black

We are alot more diverse than Morgantown

Morgantown has 86.8% white, 6.0% black, and 3.2% asian
Monongalia County has 90.8% white, 3.4% black

don't forget that Charleston has 20,000 more people so that makes around these figures:

white-39,000
black-6,000
asian-1,500

I'd say that is pretty diverse seeing how the state as a whole is in the 90% white range!

http://www.city-data.com/city/West-Virginia.html

We are not racist, and if you don't believe me then you are too narrow minded yourself to take anyone else's truths! And from the looks of it you are!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Charleston shrinking.

Morgantown growing.

Anyway I dont want Morgantown growing too big. The nice part about Morgantown is that while it is a city it has a nice small town feel to it, while Charleston has a ghetto run down feel to it. If I want big city I could go to Pittsburgh, which blows Charleston away in every category. Morgantown has all the advantages of a small town, while having the the amenities of a bigger city. In fact Morgantown has more to offer than Charleston. I just hope as Morgantown grows and Charleston shrinks I hope that Morgantown retains its charm.
How can you say that you hope an American city shrinks? I think you should recheck your priorities in life!

Nobody said Charleston has what Pittsburg has! In fact, we have different things than Pittsburgh! Morgantown does not offer more than us because we have hundreds of things to do both indoor and out!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, you know nothing yet you reply like you know everything about everything! CAMC is the best healthcare in WV! WVUH come here to learn! Memorial Hospital is one of the best in the world for heart patients and it offers so much more than the state funded Ruby Memorial!

Funny thing is, CAMC gets more people from out of other areas in the state than in Charleston's metro! I don't work there, but I've been around both Ruby and CAMC enough to know which I want saving my life! And its not the drunk WVU student docters!

Charleston has 78.9% white, 12.2% black, and 3.1% asian
Kananwha County has 88% white, 6.1%black

We are alot more diverse than Morgantown

Morgantown has 86.8% white, 6.0% black, and 3.2% asian
Monongalia County has 90.8% white, 3.4% black

don't forget that Charleston has 20,000 more people so that makes around these figures:

white-39,000
black-6,000
asian-1,500

I'd say that is pretty diverse seeing how the state as a whole is in the 90% white range!

http://www.city-data.com/city/West-Virginia.html

We are not racist, and if you don't believe me then you are too narrow minded yourself to take anyone else's truths! And from the looks of it you are!
Wow what a diverse place Charleston is.

Those demographics also do not reflect the student population. Charleston is not any more diverse than Morgantown, and neither are diverse. Having around 7000 non-white people in an area the size of CHarleston is nothing to be proud of unless you are a racist, which wouldnt surprise me since you are from Charleston.

Also it has been established already that CAMC is not a good hospital. People who have the insurance, or need good care, go to Morgantown or out of state. I imagine they are good at heart problems since most people there are old and fat, or on meth.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
How can you say that you hope an American city shrinks? I think you should recheck your priorities in life!

Nobody said Charleston has what Pittsburg has! In fact, we have different things than Pittsburgh! Morgantown does not offer more than us because we have hundreds of things to do both indoor and out!
I am not saying I hope Charleston shrinks. I am saying it IS shrinking. Im sorry but it is. Also Morgantown is growing. Those are facts.

Morgantown has just as many things to do outdoor as Charleston. They both have hiking, biking, boating, white water rafting, etc. Morgantown is just nicer, has a better quality of life, a better economy, a younger population, an actual music scene, not everyone is ugly in Morgantown, etc.

Morgantown wins hands down.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Ok for the personal attacks you have now called everyone in Charleston ugly, called us old fat and on meth, and you've called me a racist! And that is only on page 47 of this thread!

The student population of WVU doesn't count into the diversity because they are not citizens of the town.

CAMC has no established identity of being a terrible hospital! I don't know where you got that (your head maye?), but it is in fact one of the best places to work in WV period! I have both family and friends that have worked at CAMC and they have been not only treated well, but paid well too! And as I said earlier, WVU students come to CAMC to learn at the WVU Charleston campus!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Ok for the personal attacks you have now called everyone in Charleston ugly, called us old fat and on meth, and you've called me a racist! And that is only on page 47 of this thread!

The student population of WVU doesn't count into the diversity because they are not citizens of the town.

CAMC has no established identity of being a terrible hospital! I don't know where you got that (your head maye?), but it is in fact one of the best places to work in WV period! I have both family and friends that have worked at CAMC and they have been not only treated well, but paid well too! And as I said earlier, WVU students come to CAMC to learn at the WVU Charleston campus!
I said it wouldn't surprise me if you were a racist. It was not an accusation. I find that Southern WV is not the most tolerant place in the country, and am not surprised when a resident there expresses racism. WV is also the 1st or 2nd most obese state. Southern WV especially around Charleston has a meth and Oxycontin problem, tragic really.

That doesnt mean everyone in Charleston is a fat racist tweaker.

Good thing WVU has a presence in Charleston. Much better than Marshall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia