Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
What are you talking about? the both of you are acting like a bunch of hippies! Charleston has done nothing to stop development anywhere in WV. In fact, The elected officials from North Central WV like Joe Mansion have done nothing but promote it! Give me a break! Nobody is jealous of Morgantown! I could care less how many crappy tan apatment buildings Morgantown has!

The Mariott and Embassy Suites are both state of the art and up to par with the other brand name hotels! Lakeview is outdated!

I'm not saying that Wheeling doesn't have alot, but after the 1940's Wheeling has built anything to brag about! Charleston has the best of the late 1700s, early and late 1800s, 1900s (big boom) 1950s, and modern contemporary!
A bunch of hippies? LOL ... If you knew me, you'd never say something like that. I've been called a lot of things, but never a hippie. That's a new one.

The way Charleston harms development elsewhere is by political manipulation and pork barrel politics. First of all, they have had representation in state government that is beyond what they should have for their population. They collude to grab all the resources for themselves while ignoring other, more developing areas. You yourself said there are what 6? four lane highways going into Charleston. A town of 50,000 with 6 largely empty expressways while other areas of the state choke on traffic?

What we were talking about, Chris, were the historic buildings, not the buildings from the 50s. Charleston might well have more of those, but they do not have either the history, or the historical buildings that you find in Wheeling. Those buildings are often falling into disrepair, because Wheeling, like Charleston, is a post industrial town that has been in serious decline mode the past 40 years and it hasn't had the modestly stabilizing benefit of state government jobs. In fact, the Charleston area ripped off many of the state government jobs that once were in that area. Still, the historic legacy of Wheeling is largely intact, at least for the present.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
The way you guys are acting likely Charleston is somehow slowing Morgantown down is quite comical. WVU pretty much controls the politics in Charleston because that is where most of the lawyers graduated from. And to act like Morgantown doesn't benefit from taxpayer money from eleswhere in the state? That's pretty funny. Over $200 million from the state government each year alone since operations at WVU (like most of higher ed) loses money. Then, there is the pop tax set aside solely for WVU that is assessed to every pop purchase in the state to the tune of $14 million. That doesn't even count the Millions in federal money directed there. But boy you all need more. Doesn't everybody?

Infrastructure is a problem in Morgantown but the last time I checked, cities were responsible for their own infrastructure. The only thing that is lacking at the state level is to make Beechurst 4 lanes but that will do little to fix the jumbles mess that the city roads are.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
A bunch of hippies? LOL ... If you knew me, you'd never say something like that. I've been called a lot of things, but never a hippie. That's a new one.

The way Charleston harms development elsewhere is by political manipulation and pork barrel politics. First of all, they have had representation in state government that is beyond what they should have for their population. They collude to grab all the resources for themselves while ignoring other, more developing areas. You yourself said there are what 6? four lane highways going into Charleston. A town of 50,000 with 6 largely empty expressways while other areas of the state choke on traffic?

What we were talking about, Chris, were the historic buildings, not the buildings from the 50s. Charleston might well have more of those, but they do not have either the history, or the historical buildings that you find in Wheeling. Those buildings are often falling into disrepair, because Wheeling, like Charleston, is a post industrial town that has been in serious decline mode the past 40 years and it hasn't had the modestly stabilizing benefit of state government jobs. In fact, the Charleston area ripped off many of the state government jobs that once were in that area. Still, the historic legacy of Wheeling is largely intact, at least for the present.
I'm not talking about just historical buildings, even though Charleston has hundreds of them. I'm talking about architecture in total. You know from the corner apartment building on one street, to the house in some gated community in Kanawha City. Every building has architecture, not just historical ones, and I'm sorry but Charleston has the best architecture (in the whole city) over Wheeling.

I love how we some how change the subject every time I come up with a fact! Like about hotels and outdoor venues.

Charleston has 6 4 lane highways entering it because we have a metro of 300,000 people, not just Charleston proper you know! US 35 will make 7 when it is totally finished. And like Tim said, It is Morgantowns own fault the roads suck!

Charleston does not take anything away from any other city! The idea is dumb, and you keep forgetting that Kanawha County only has 5 reps in both the senate and house for its 200,000 people. The city proper only has one delegate. In my opinion we should have more!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The way you guys are acting likely Charleston is somehow slowing Morgantown down is quite comical. WVU pretty much controls the politics in Charleston because that is where most of the lawyers graduated from. And to act like Morgantown doesn't benefit from taxpayer money from eleswhere in the state? That's pretty funny. Over $200 million from the state government each year alone since operations at WVU (like most of higher ed) loses money. Then, there is the pop tax set aside solely for WVU that is assessed to every pop purchase in the state to the tune of $14 million. That doesn't even count the Millions in federal money directed there. But boy you all need more. Doesn't everybody?

Infrastructure is a problem in Morgantown but the last time I checked, cities were responsible for their own infrastructure. The only thing that is lacking at the state level is to make Beechurst 4 lanes but that will do little to fix the jumbles mess that the city roads are.
Its so true that its scary! WVU has the real power in our state, and It's present everywhere you turn around!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
What are you talking about? the both of you are acting like a bunch of hippies! Charleston has done nothing to stop development anywhere in WV. In fact, The elected officials from North Central WV like Joe Mansion have done nothing but promote it! Give me a break! Nobody is jealous of Morgantown! I could care less how many crappy tan apatment buildings Morgantown has!

The Mariott and Embassy Suites are both state of the art and up to par with the other brand name hotels! Lakeview is outdated!

I'm not saying that Wheeling doesn't have alot, but after the 1940's Wheeling has built anything to brag about! Charleston has the best of the late 1700s, early and late 1800s, 1900s (big boom) 1950s, and modern contemporary!
Someone has Morgantown envy. The bad air of Charleston must have deluded you.

Also CTMountaineer is right. Charleston is glad to steal tax dollars from Morgantown to build new expressways for their rapidly shrinking city, but they wont give Morgantown a dime to improve infrastructure. The Morgantown metro area gives more to Charleston than Charleston gives to it, including funds received from WVU. Right now Charleston is semi-reliant on Morgantown and the Eastern Panhandle to keep things running, but in a decade or so it will be completely reliant.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The Morgantown metro area gives more to Charleston than Charleston gives to it, including funds received from WVU.
As stated above, WVU LOSES money each year as operating costs are greater than what it brings in. WVU as an operation adds NO money to the state's coffers but rather takes from them (as does most higher ed). Your analogy is actually reversed. Just check the WVHEPC reports if you don't believe me.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
As stated above, WVU LOSES money each year as operating costs are greater than what it brings in. WVU as an operation adds NO money to the state's coffers but rather takes from them (as does most higher ed). Your analogy is actually reversed. Just check the WVHEPC reports if you don't believe me.
You are assuming that the economic heart of WV, Morgantown, doesnt bring any money into Charleston. That is not true. You see whenever you buy anything in Morgantown you pay something called sales tax, which goes to the corrupt politicians in Charleston to use to develop the stagnant economic wasteland that is Southern WV. Also Morgantown has people that pay something called income tax, which is a tax on the income you receive every year.

The university is mostly self-sufficient and its presence along with the Morgantown economic engine are cash cows for Charleston. The only reason a city like Charleston has jobs is because cities like Morgantown fund the state government.

The worst part about Charleston is the arrogant people who look down on Northern and Eastern WV. They are biting the hand that feeds it. Dont expect us to apologize for thriving on our own, and when Charleston's corruption causes it to collapse dont expect Morgantown to bail you out.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Bailey, I don't know where you are coming from here but West Virginia University does not lose money. It does get 19% of its operating costs from the state. It is a state related institution. But, payroll taxes, sales taxes for 30,000 students, visitors, athletic fans and so forth far more than compensate for that alone. The affiliated organizations that operate under the auspices of The University also contribute greatly to Charleston's coffers. The University gives the state its biggest bang for the buck in many ways. The WVHEP reports only show the expense side of things, not the returns to the state which are far greater.

Tax money spent at The University has huge benefits for the state. Tax money sent to Charelston supports a burearcracy that has its greatest interest in getting what it can get for the politicos. There are other institutions in the state that get a far greater percentage of their operating budgets from the state, and which return far less to it.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Bailey, infrastructure on state and federal numbered roads is not the responsibility of local government. I'm surprised you don't know that. In nearly every case, the infrastructure needs are on such roads. Beechurst is US 19 and WV7, Mileground to Point Marion Road is US 119, Don Knotts to I68 is US 19, Westover is US 119. All of these areas have major traffic issues that are the state's responsibility, I know. I live here and see it every day.

And for the mere $200 million that the state provides to suppliment The University's operating budget, tens of thousands of state residents are educated at a doctoral level institution (I'm pretty sure you benefitted from that) at one of the nation's most reasonable tuition rates for a flagship school, a presence is maintained in every county in the state, science is advanced, and the state gets an institution of which it can justly be proud.
And, every cent of that money and more finds itself back in the state coffers in one way or another. When money is given to the political hacks in Charleston, it's likely to be squandered on some pork barrel idiocy that benefits few and pads the pockets of the politicos and their cronies.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Bailey, infrastructure on state and federal numbered roads is not the responsibility of local government. I'm surprised you don't know that. In nearly every case, the infrastructure needs are on such roads. Beechurst is US 19 and WV7, Mileground to Point Marion Road is US 119, Don Knotts to I68 is US 19, Westover is US 119. All of these areas have major traffic issues that are the state's responsibility, I know. I live here and see it every day.

And for the mere $200 million that the state provides to suppliment The University's operating budget, tens of thousands of state residents are educated at a doctoral level institution (I'm pretty sure you benefitted from that) at one of the nation's most reasonable tuition rates for a flagship school, a presence is maintained in every county in the state, science is advanced, and the state gets an institution of which it can justly be proud.
And, every cent of that money and more finds itself back in the state coffers in one way or another. When money is given to the political hacks in Charleston, it's likely to be squandered on some pork barrel idiocy that benefits few and pads the pockets of the politicos and their cronies.
$200 million is ridiculously low funding from a state. Most state universities receive several times that. Furthermore WV does not need 2 state universities. Marshall is a HUGE waste. I dont have a problem with the people from Charleston or the city itself, but we both know, and probably everyone on this forum that Morgantown is underfunded. The infrastructure, the schools, WVU, the hospitals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia