Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM

532 posts, read 1,091,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Hey, we can't afford to put money into highways - in our current economy we have more important projects that need funding, such as......

U.S. Government Funds $400,000 Study on Gay Sex in Argentina Bars
The study began on Sept. 30, 2008, and runs through Aug. 31, 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM

107 posts, read 361,184 times
I have done alot of work for Rockefeller and while I like the man I do not think his heart is in the state now..He and Rahall are becoming liabilites honestly.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
One of our State Senators came to the office today. He has been a very good representative and I respect his service to us.

When I asked him about the future of coal in Wv, he just shook his head...

He said, "This is supposed to be our party and they want to kill our state...I really don't know what we can do about it.."

We are talking about losing 1/2 of the state budget...3 billion dollars a year.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 PM

300 posts, read 819,909 times
". . aides to Senator Jay Rockefeller reportedly have been working recently on a revised draft Senate bill that would give the President broad powers in the event of a Cybersecurity emergency, and that apparently would go so far as allowing the President to temporarily seize control over computer networks in the private sector. "
Presidential Powers During Cybersecurity Emergencies - Eric Sinrod - Technologist

Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
One of our State Senators came to the office today. He has been a very good representative and I respect his service to us.

He said, "This is supposed to be our party and they want to kill our state...I really don't know what we can do about it.."

We should have been developing a more diverse economy and not resting our laurels on industries dependent on cyclical swings, whether caused by economic or political conditions.

I suppose we need some more gaming facilities to offset the eventual losses. Maybe our state parks are next? Poker at Blackwater anyone?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 PM

134 posts, read 412,951 times
I wonder if WV should take a lesson from Kentucky. Not so long ago,it was a poorer state than WV,now Louisville (at least before the recession) is booming. I know someone who lived there before moving to Texas. Whatever that state is doing, it must be right.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
Amen to this. He no more cares for WV than I care what happens in Timbucktwo.

I still remember my "Make Him Spend It All, Arch" bumper sticker.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
The economic diverstiy in Wv is broad...93 government departments and contractors, (the new national archives?...how about that one)..

But the wealth is the returnees.
Retirees in their 50's and 60's who have lived abroad (out of state) and have returned to live here.

The coal industry has keep up with EPA standards..and could be used for 200 years..it's about creating chaos, killing off my generation, and imposing feudal slavery.

Our mobster politicos have been tied to the Cleveland Family of Organized crime for years..they are convicted and non-convicted criminals..these are silk shirted gangsters.

Story in point:

A few years ago, a person I know worked surveilance for a funeral. The funeral was held in a Wv town for a high ranking politico and the watcher was sitting directly across the street from the church in a barber shop.
Attending the funeral were mobsters from Cleveland, New York City, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
As each silk suit would some out of their black Cadilllac, he would name them and the other guys with him would man the video tape.
It was a who's, who's of the underworld. I was astonished...some I had heard of, some not.
And their bodyguards were looking here and there, as if some danger might be present.

My question to this day remains...Why were they there? To pay their last respects of course, good manners to a very close friend...perhaps business companion...What Business? Dope? Government contracts? What business?

We still have a power to correct the crime in this country..if we will it...election day and protests might stem the tide.
It might not be too late.
In every critical situation in this country, a Washington, a Lincoln, a Patton has come to the front for the rescue...perhaps, it's time for the ordinary man and woman to do that...
I hope so...

Organized crime and the gansters involved have no loyalty...just the dollar and the power..and we allow them to have that. We have the power to take it away.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

That is because the State in blindly locked into party politics. It really has nothing to do with parties. It has to do with populists vs. elitists (from both parties) who are totally disconnected from the rest of us in terms of both experience base and filters through which they see the world around them.
Jay Rockefeller has never really had to get his hands dirty or worry about paying his bills and neither has Joe Manchin. We need to get some "ordinary" people in office who aren't locked into a corrupt political machine. We need a populist government that actually listens to the people.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That is because the State in blindly locked into party politics. It really has nothing to do with parties. It has to do with populists vs. elitists (from both parties) who are totally disconnected from the rest of us in terms of both experience base and filters through which they see the world around them.
Jay Rockefeller has never really had to get his hands dirty or worry about paying his bills and neither has Joe Manchin. We need to get some "ordinary" people in office who aren't locked into a corrupt political machine. We need a populist government that actually listens to the people.
It would be nice if we could get ordinary people who are smart and well educated and not beholden to anyone but the voters. It's not enough to just be ordinary. We've had some of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia