Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,278 times

Advertisements

I've lived in WV for about 2 years now (originally from NJ). This year I've decided to register my daughter for the local town pageant. A friend of my husband remarked how cute my daughter was, but not to expect to win. He said there have been families here for generations and that the judges would vote for one of those girls over my daughter.

I'm not in this to fight to win, but more for the fun of my little girl being princess for the day. However, I would like the pageant to be judged fairly, something which may not happen.

Is this common in WV? It seems to be like nepotism, but in pagent form. I do know that the families are very close knit and have been here for many years, but the girls should be judged by pageant rules, and not by their last names. It just seems so wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Actually, entering a little girl in a pageant seems very wrong in and of itself. Even Dr. Phil once commented that it is a calling card to local pedophiles. And guess what; not all pedophiles are registered. The registered ones are only the ones that were caught and convicted at least once.

Why not get her involved in something less showy - like 4H

Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Actually, entering a little girl in a pageant seems very wrong in and of itself. Even Dr. Phil once commented that it is a calling card to local pedophiles. And guess what; not all pedophiles are registered. The registered ones are only the ones that were caught and convicted at least once.

Why not get her involved in something less showy - like 4H
I understand your reasoning, but there can be local pedophiles at the park, but I won't stop taking my kids there. This is a local pageant, girls are 13 and under. No excessive makeup is allowed. I won't even be putting makeup on my daughter. All get princess crowns and sash's and a trophy. One girl in each division gets crowned Queen. So regardless I want this to fun for her.
It's just disappointing that it seems that pageants are judged by last name instead of by pageant rules themselves.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,644 times
All you can do is enter her, encourge her to do HER best in the pageant, and let it go. Maybe the judges will surprise you!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
We have a big Christmas Parade in our home town...two years ago, MISS ??? was very late and we had paid her $500 to attend. She didn't show and I was in charge of her segment of the parade.

I walked up to a lovely young lady and said, "How would you like to ride in that Mustang convertible...Wave to the crowd and be our Princess for tonight?" she went bananas...and up she jumped and did the parade...nobody being the wiser..

The parade organizer said to me as the real MISS ?? traveled by on the very last float..."We should get at least half of our money back"

'Life is like a box of chocolates....." Stewart Gump. Everyone should be a Princess at least once in their lifetime.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 06-18-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC View Post
All you can do is enter her, encourge her to do HER best in the pageant, and let it go. Maybe the judges will surprise you!
I hope the judges do surprise me. Thanx!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
We have a big Christmas Parade in our home town...two years ago, MISS ??? was very late and we had paid her $500 to attend. She didn't show and I was in charge of her segment of the parade.

I walked up to a lovely young lady and said, "How would you like to ride in that Mustang convertible...Wave to the crowd and be our Princess for tonight?" she went bananas...and up she jumped and did the parade...nobody knowing the wiser..

The parade organizer said to me as the real MISS ?? traveled by on the very last float..."We should get at least half of our money back"

'Life is like a box of chocolates....." Stewart Gump. Everyone should be a Princess at least once in their livetime.
You know, I don't even know what Miss West Virginia looks like, so I wouldn't have known if someone else took her place in a parade, lol. My daughter will be a princess for that day, regardless.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
I've lived in WV for about 2 years now (originally from NJ). This year I've decided to register my daughter for the local town pageant. A friend of my husband remarked how cute my daughter was, but not to expect to win. He said there have been families here for generations and that the judges would vote for one of those girls over my daughter.

I'm not in this to fight to win, but more for the fun of my little girl being princess for the day. However, I would like the pageant to be judged fairly, something which may not happen.

Is this common in WV? It seems to be like nepotism, but in pagent form. I do know that the families are very close knit and have been here for many years, but the girls should be judged by pageant rules, and not by their last names. It just seems so wrong.
Really does depend on the pageant - there are local pageants for which this is true; other pageants - it is not true.
Look to see where the judges are from - if they are from outside the county/relatively close area then your chances will be a lot better..

Old 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmille37 View Post
Hey everyone!
I'm a professional pageant coach & student at West Virginia University. If you would like some help in the business check out my web site. Have a great day!
www.pageantcoaching.weebly.com
Just to let you know since I think you are new - advertising in not allowed in CD - only in the classifieds forum.

Not to be mean - I'd delete you but I'm not Mod for this forum.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:25 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Vec 101:

How are you 'gonna act? I was thinking about promoting a contest for the 'geriatric crowd...like 'biker Momma's over 65...or 'Stud-Muffins Really over the Hill. Problem is It's just to Red Neck..it needs diversity...One guy, an 87 year old eskimo man has volunteered, but his 25 year old wife is keeping him home to feed the sled-dogs..a ploy for sure...

Now, I'm afraid to PM this Pagent coach and we have 5 gallons of teeth whitener to refund...You should feel very bad about this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: