Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am considering a move to WV and would appreciate advice on areas to check out. I'm a 27 year old female looking for a safe and affordable area that has easy access to shopping and jobs (I work in the health care field). I love to be outdoors and spend whatever free time I have jogging, hiking, swimming, etc., so quick access to parks is a necessity! Oh, and I'm single so I don't want to be too isolated!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM

40 posts, read 143,988 times
I would get a job before you move. It's HARD to find a job in WV. And not the best place for singles either. However, in the health care field, you might have a bit of luck on the job front, since that is an area that is always hiring. Check out Morgantown. Lots of hospitals and singles, since it's a college town and WVU has a huge medical school. You might find a health care job in the Eastern Panhandle but it isn't exactly a happening place for singles.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
I am completely unaware of any place in WV that would not love to have you and welcome you into the community, whichever one you choose. WV is all about outdoor activities and even some tame indoor ones. Pick an area and you will likely find it suits that something yearning within you. Think southern part of the state for that most northern part of the country that still offers southern hospitality as a rule.

Did I just post this or am I an impostor?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Shinnston, Wv is the answer...in the center of the Wv medical mecca.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Lewisburg or Beckley are both nice. Great outdoor activities with the rivers and mountains, Mountain State University in Beckley, and the Osteopathic Medical School in Lewisburg, VA Tech is an hour away- so a lot of younger people are out and about.

But it's really bad; we dine on outsiders and don't speak English. There, Alice- I did it for you!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Puhleeezeee..

Morgantown is where ya wanna be!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Morgantown is probably the best place for a young, professional single like yourself. Huntington would probably be a close 2nd, as these two cities are both college towns with a large medical presence. Charleston has a nice system of hospitals in CAMC, but it's not exactly a great place for singles to live. Most of my single friends have relocated to either Huntington or Morgantown areas, with the exception for a few.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Yeah Morgantown is the defacto answer. I'm 24, employed by a rural school district in SWPA located out in the middle of nowhere, and looking into Morgantown as a diversion while I figure out where I'd like to plant myself permanently. But It houses the state's largest medical fascilities and is much more upbeat and youthful due to its college influence...total no brainer. It honestly looks to be the only place in the state that was designed with 20/30 somethings in mind when it comes to atmosphere, amenities, attitude, etc. Huntington would be your plan B, however it's a bit less of a 20/30s spot than Morgantown appears to be, but it has more of a "city" look and feel to it. Wheeling and Charleston are nice places, but there's not much in the way of a singles scene going on at either.

The regular population of Morgantown is something around 30K, but that apparently more than doubles when school is in session. If you want a large 20s/30s crowd then this is probably it as far as the state goes. Other cities/towns are going to be more family oriented and with older demographics that wouldn't bode well for dating based on the numbers game. Nature is as good as it gets. There's bike trails throught the city that stretch into the mountains, state parks all over the place, Cheat Lake a few miles down the road, tons of skiing, white water, hiking, etc type of activities, with even more of that in MD and PA. Pittsburgh is about an hour away where other parts of the state will be a lengthy stretch to any major city. It honestly seems like a nice little city/town with a manageable footprint...kind of kicking myself for not checking it out sooner, definately a fun place to spend some time at.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 11-12-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Morgantown is probably the best place for a young, professional single like yourself. Huntington would probably be a close 2nd, as these two cities are both college towns with a large medical presence. Charleston has a nice system of hospitals in CAMC, but it's not exactly a great place for singles to live. Most of my single friends have relocated to either Huntington or Morgantown areas, with the exception for a few.
Eastern Panhandle would be another one to throw in the mix, but it's not as 'young' as Morgantown, from a pure demographic perspective, but then you have Wichester, Hagerstown and Frederick MD real close too.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Man! I brought everyone out on this post...

If I was 27, and getting past the bar scene that is filled with kiddies from college, I would pick a quiet place...could always commute...remember UHC's new hospital will need about 4,000 employees...just a hop over the hill from Shinnston...which, in my opinion, is the next Bridgeport...

And that night life...it's accessible on weekends...

Ok...Ok I'm out of here...have a great weekend everybody..and yes, my tan from last week is beginning to fade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia