Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM

7 posts, read 17,070 times

Advertisements

My family was transferred to a state where the school cut off is August 31st. My daughters birthday is in September. The problem is, we intend to come back to NY by summer 2013. If we were in NY now, she would start kindergarten this fall. Since we are down here, with the cut off, they want her to wait til next fall. My daughter is in a preschool that has a "transitional kindergarten" program which she could start this fall. My question is, will I be able to register her for 1st grade next fall in NY or if i'll need a transcript from an accredited kindergarten. The TK program has a similar curriculum, so I do not think she will be behind. Just wanted to check what the requirements are. There are some kindergarten progams we can put her in down here, but they are expensive and would require her getting used to a new school, which i'd prefer not to do if I don't have to. She really likes where she is now. Thanks for any info you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
As far as I know, Kindergarten is not required in NY State, in fact in some places (Bronxville is a good example) it is only half-day. In fact, Christine Quinn, the Speaker of the NYC City Council recently tried to float a bill that would require Kindergarten in the 5 boros of NY City so I know you are not required to go to K in NY State.

That said, skipping kindergarten is usually highly discouraged. But in your case it is probably OK (especially if you have her in the "transitional kindergarten" program) and from a legal standpoint you should be able to put your kid straight into 1st grade. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 AM

66 posts, read 139,323 times
First thing I would do is check with the school district you'll be in when you come back to NY (assuming you already know where you'll be living.) Get the info regarding what they teach in K and 1st, and compare to what your daughter will be learning where you are now and explain your situation to them. They should be able to assist you in choosing the best way to handle this. Also, once you get the info you could always speak to the someone in the district where you are now. If the school doesn't listen to you go to the superintendent's office. I went to school with a girl who was a January b'day, but she started K in September, still 4 y/o. Exceptions can be made and each case is different.

The age to start school in NY is 6, but most kids start school at 5, in K in Westchester. Some parents hold their kids back if they are late in the year b'days but that's a personal choice.

Once you have more info you'll be able to make a decision that's right for you and your daughter. Hopefully it will work out to your advantage.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post

The age to start school in NY is 6, but most kids start school at 5, in K in Westchester. Some parents hold their kids back if they are late in the year b'days but that's a personal choice.
I forgot to mention that, in Westchester many parents "redshirt" their kids if they are born between Sept. and Dec. so they start K a year later anyway. There was even a NY Times article on the phenomenon last year. The idea is they are afraid when they get older they'll be the youngest (and possibly smallest) kids in their classes and will both be "less academically ready" due to age and prone to bullying.

So from that standpoint it may not be the "end of the world" if your kid starts kindergarten next year. Granted, my birthday is in late Oct. and I wasn't "redshirted" and I turned out fine (of course, I went to K almost 40 years ago.... )

Old 02-19-2012, 05:16 PM

66 posts, read 139,323 times
I agree with 7 wishes regarding the parents holding back kids-I have a cousin who held back all 3 kids as they were October and November b'days. It might have been a great idea because while all 3 got into college one got a full scholarship to NYU. Now, this could have happened anyway of course, but who knows. I thought about this today and realized that we actually know a good number of people who have held back their child/children. Some districts around here want a child to be 5 by December 1st. So, if you're December 2nd-see you next year!

You alone know what's best for your child. If she starts later chances are she won't be the only one.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 17,070 times
Thanks so much for all the info. Having a late bday definitely leaves us with a lot of decisions. On this end of starting school, I want to make sure she is challenged. She plays well with older kids, she is very curious, very tall, and loves to learn. It seems strange that she will be 7 in first grade while others will just be turning six. On the other end, I'd prefer she leaves for college at 18 than 17!! I'm glad to know that kindergarten is not mandatory so we have some time to make the final decision on holding her back or not. I will definitely try to get in touch with the schools, we have narrowed down the areas where we would like to live when we move back. Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM

258 posts, read 908,065 times
Kindergarten is not mandatory. You must begin school at 6 (1st grade). Many people in the suburbs (mush less in NYC) redshirt their kids if they are born after September. You should be fine next year either way.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
My son has an IEP and is a November child. He is in school in westchester county in an integrated preschool program. I plan to hold him back next year in a private pre-k program. Will I have a problem the year after sending him to kindergarten or will they push me to send him directly to 1st grade since he is in the "system?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County