Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,595 times

Advertisements

Why don't you sleep over your Ossining friends house and make a weekend of it?

You need a car to check out towns.
Rent one for an entire day.
Borrow a GPS if your phone doesn't have one.

Are both of you going to keep commuting to NYC?
You should stay in NYC as long as possible.
$350k isn't going to get you what you want.
Consider renting a cheap apt for a few years.

There is no nightlife.
White Plains nightlife is loud thumping DJ music at 1500 decibels.
Coming from NYC, this type of bar environment is a trashy disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM

63 posts, read 162,378 times
Mt Kisco is cute and has lots of shopping and restaurants. My husband and I have been here for a few years renting an apartment. There isn't much to choose from in the 350-450 range. As for nightlife there are three places maybe that stay open late. They tend to bring in cougars and older men. We go into the city if we want to go out.
Pleasantville has less to offer restaurant and shopping wise but a great school district if you can afford 20 grand plus per year.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 AM

51 posts, read 144,618 times
You can find a house in Pville. The downtown area has had an influx of young professionals purchasing the multi-fam's around town and on Bedford Rd. You will have walking access to train, Jacob Burns, various restaurants and local bars such as McArthurs, Paulies, Foleys, Lucys Lounge and Batnonge Wine Bar. Good luck with the search.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM

17 posts, read 50,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach277 View Post
Mt Kisco is cute and has lots of shopping and restaurants. My husband and I have been here for a few years renting an apartment. There isn't much to choose from in the 350-450 range. As for nightlife there are three places maybe that stay open late. They tend to bring in cougars and older men. We go into the city if we want to go out.
Pleasantville has less to offer restaurant and shopping wise but a great school district if you can afford 20 grand plus per year.
I'm not looking too much for a real late night spot, I'm looking more for a bar to watch football or baseball during the weekend and a place to easily grab dinner. Since we are starting a family, my main goal I guess would be a family-centered community that has some bars and restaurants that my wife and I can enjoy for the next couple of years. I would wait a couple of more years, but with the interest rates and housing prices the way they are, it has accelerated our plans a bit.

Do you commute to NYC? I am a CPA and I am assuming I will be working in NYC for a while. However, I'd love to find a job closer to home and not have to deal with the commute as much.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPleasantville View Post
You can find a house in Pville. The downtown area has had an influx of young professionals purchasing the multi-fam's around town and on Bedford Rd. You will have walking access to train, Jacob Burns, various restaurants and local bars such as McArthurs, Paulies, Foleys, Lucys Lounge and Batnonge Wine Bar. Good luck with the search.
Thank you. I am looking forward to checking out the town. Do you think it is worth renting a car for the area? Or can I get a good feel walking near the train area? I'd love to get a feel of everything (including the commute).

Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM

51 posts, read 144,618 times
Pville is tiny compared to the other towns. Little over a mile by a mile. You can get off the train, walk around the downtown area and get a feel for the food/bar scene (lots for a small village). On Sat we have the Pville music fest at Parkway field. Just ask someone in town to point you in the right direction.
If you walk, I would suggest looking at Roselle park area and also walk up towards the old village on Bedford Rd (few more dining options and one bar). The taxes for the homes in your price range will not be 20k+. more around 10-15k. Just know you are paying for the schools and the small village close knit feel. We have a walking school district one of the few around NYC.

If you do get a car I would drive around on Bedford, Manville, Broadway, Washington and Marble ave. All of them are the main roads in town and most homes and side streets are off them. The village pool is on Nannahagen. Then when traveling up to Mt Kisco you can take 117 through Chappaqua. We do our chain store shopping in Kisco since it has a nicer feel than White Plains or Central ave. Downtown Kisco is nice too. If you take the train you can also travel up to Mt. Kisco. We are on the same train line. Croton is on the Hudson line. Here is a link to NY times article about the village. All of the areas you mentioned are nice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/re...pagewanted=all

Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks so much MrPleasantville. I decided to rent a car and check it all out the area (and Mt. Kisco) on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County