Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,004 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband is in discussions about a potential move to New York and we are trying to decide if its the best thing for our family. We have two children (aged 3 and 1) and don't really want to be living in an apartment so manhattan is not ideal for us. I have done some research and it looks like westchester might be a good fit for us, especially the larchmont area. My husband will be working on Lexington ave near 59th street so i was wondering how long the commute is from larchmont? Also, I'm having trouble getting an idea about homes for rent as there don't seem to be many! We would be looking for a 3 bedroom house with a budget of about $4k - $4.5/5k per month. Will we find something reasonable for that amount? From what I can see online Larchmont looks lovely but are there other places that might be better? Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
The commute, depending on how close you are to the railroad station, will be about an hour or a little more (I'm assuming a 10 min. walk to the station and a 10 min. walk from the uptown exit of Grand central to 59th). You could shave a little off that if you're very precise with your timings.

Larchmont is very nice, Westchester in general is a good place to live - but yes there will be a limited number of places available for rent. As for what might be better - depends on what your criteria are. Moving to NY from Australia and you're not taking advantage of the opportunity to live in the capital city of the World?! Its not like you have to navigate the NYC school system for a couple of years.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM

293 posts, read 886,401 times
If you're just renting for now and you don't have to concern yourself with schools, I wouldn't limit your search to one town or you'll have too few options. 4-5k will certainly get you a three bedroom house in lots of nice areas, so your budget is fine. Westchester is great for kids and regardless of where you live, you'll be able to take advantage of a ton of activities in the area.

As bg7 said, make a list of your criteria and that can help people narrow your search somewhat.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. If it was just my husband and I we would live in Manhattan in a heartbeat. It's a fabulous city but we don't want to be in an apartment with two kids. Where we live now is very green and leafy and we have a great backyard which my boys like to play in so I want to try and replicate that. I also didn't think that our budget would get us very far in Manhattan??
The main criteria for us is the commute (my husband doesn't want it to be much more than an hour), a backyard and a nice community feel. I won't be working so it's important that the area has lots of things for me to do with the boys - nice walks, parks, play centers etc. School isn't a massive issue as we are probably only looking at a 2-4 year stay so we may not even have to navigate the school system. Having said that though, I would prefer an area where there are "good schools, just in case we stay longer. What age do children start school in the US? They are 5 in Australia but I think they might be 6 in the US? If possible we would also like to be relatively close to the water. This isn't essential but the beach is a big part of life for us at home so it would be nice to be able to still do that in summer. Rye looks really nice and the beach looks cute. Is the commute much further from there?
Is there some kind of secret website that I haven't found yet that will show me some more rental properties? Is there a particular real estate agent I should try and get in touch with?
Thank you for your help!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM

293 posts, read 886,401 times
No secret website for rentals, unfortunately. There just aren't a huge number of rentals on the market. I'm happy to send you the names of the realtors I used for my recent search (one for the sound shore, one for the middle of Westchester and one for the Hudson). Just PM me.

I still wouldn't worry too much about schools at this point, even if you do end up staying longer. All of the towns you might consider have decent schools at the elementary level. Or if you stay and and you don't like the public school, you can decide to move to another town - not really a big deal for a five year old.

Keeping the commute to not much more than an hour means southern Westchester (below 287). As I said before, there's a ton to do with kids in the area, so as long as you have access to a car, where ever you land you can find many things to do with your boys. This website makes me a bit nauseous, but it does have some good ideas for things to do with kids in the area: wee westchester

The towns along the sound with waterfront access are Pelham, New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck and Rye (ok, Pelham only has a slice of waterfront, but it is considered on the Sound). The beaches on the sound are all pretty lame, in my opinion - I prefer actual waves, which requires going to Long Island itself. But for young kids the beaches are fine. And the parks/playgrounds are great. I've liked my experience in Larchmont so far - they have a newcomers club that's open to people from Larchmont, Mamaroneck and New Rochelle Larchmont Newcomers Club: Home. Nice way to meet people in the community.

If you aren't committed to living near the sound, then pretty much any other town in Southern Westchester would be an option. They all have different flavors and characters which you can read about in the archives, but all have easy access to the city and provide very child-friendly places to live.

The only exceptions are Yonkers and Mount Vernon, which have some rougher areas you probably want to steer clear of. Even that said, while Yonkers is a mess as far as schools go, you could look at the Bronxville or Crestwood sections of Yonkers and find some cute houses in lovely neighborhoods. Mount Vernon also has one of the lower performing school districts, but the Fleetwood neighborhood could be an option (it's next to Bronxville).

Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 11,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kw77 View Post
Hi, my husband is in discussions about a potential move to New York and we are trying to decide if its the best thing for our family. We have two children (aged 3 and 1) and don't really want to be living in an apartment so manhattan is not ideal for us. I have done some research and it looks like westchester might be a good fit for us, especially the larchmont area. My husband will be working on Lexington ave near 59th street so i was wondering how long the commute is from larchmont? Also, I'm having trouble getting an idea about homes for rent as there don't seem to be many! We would be looking for a 3 bedroom house with a budget of about $4k - $4.5/5k per month. Will we find something reasonable for that amount? From what I can see online Larchmont looks lovely but are there other places that might be better? Any help is appreciated
Hi
Westchester has a lot to offer young families. I myself have a young family.
Especially working near Grand Central you have a lot of great options in Westchester.

I love in scarsdale and know of some great rentals in fact available now if needed.
I am happy to help in your search and show you and your family around.

I work for a local Westchester real estate firm called Platinum Drive Realty. Feel free to contact me at LizaL@platinumdr.com
I

Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. LizaL we aren't looking at relocating till the end of April but I would love toget in touch with you closer to the time. Part of my husbands relocation package is 6 weeks accommodation in manhattan for when we arrive so hopefully that will give us enough time to find something suitable.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 11,520 times
Kw77

The school cutoff offs in the areas of westchester are to be 5 years old by Dec 1 or Dec 31.
There are many great communities such as New Rochelle, Scarsdale, White Plains, Rye, Larchmont/Mamaroneck. The commute into grand central from any of these areas range from 28-45 minutes.
Getting out of city in the late spring summer with two little ones is a great idea. Westchester has great parks, pools, beaches to offer.

I'd be happy to send you some more info prior to your arrival to get more aquainted.
Email me if you would like me too
Regards
LizaL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County