Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM

84 posts, read 567,258 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed light on the special education services in Westchester County and which school districts are the best? We may be relocating to the area and this is a huge factor in deciding where to live....we have a son that has ADHD, primarily inattentive, central auditory processing issues and language learning differences...thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Westchester has very good social services. Start with westchestergov.com. Our sons had great speech therapy. We live in New Rochelle, but any of the towns around us are good. Try to stay out of Yonkers, it has a whole slew of problems.

The public schools are very helpful.

Be aware the services come with the price tag of high property taxes.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 70,351 times
Default try here...

Hi -

I live in Ardsley, which is known for their great special services. People move into the district just for this, but they are also just a good, all around school district (blue-ribbon winning).

They have a PTA just for kids with special needs... see the district website.

good luck... let me know if you have questions.

Syl

Old 03-25-2007, 12:50 PM

18 posts, read 106,444 times
Default Special ed...m

Syl,

Any idea on how the special ed dept. rates in Hastings, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington?

TIA,
Wanda

Old 01-20-2008, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 66,701 times
Default Special Education in New Rochelle

New Rochelle has excellent Special Education Services and works well with parents. Call Yvette Goorevitch, she is the Director of Special Education in New Rochelle to discuss your child's needs and the services they provide. Check out the New Rochelle Schools website at Nred.org. Good luck

Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,352 times
I would look into Ardsley. While I personally have no experience with the special ed program, I do know its well regarded. See this article on Ardsley schools, they talk about the special services briefly in the middle of the article.

Ardsley: Real-life, engaging lessons push kids | lohud.com | The Journal News

Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 PM

43 posts, read 162,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemn View Post
Can anyone shed light on the special education services in Westchester County and which school districts are the best? We may be relocating to the area and this is a huge factor in deciding where to live....we have a son that has ADHD, primarily inattentive, central auditory processing issues and language learning differences...thanks!!!
Our son has similar issues that you mentioned. We are in the Briarcliff Manor school district. The district is now paying to send him to a special "dual gifted" program where he is one of 7 students with 3 teachers and a psychologist. If you're persistent and on top of things with special services at the school, you will get satisfaction.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:06 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,352 times
A friend of mine has 2 sons (and 1 daughter). One has severe autism (very limited speech, can't be a alone or he'll run into the middle of the street, although 15, probably has the maturity of a toddler), the other has ADHD. Both need private aides. She lived in Yonkers but Yonkers was paying Ardsley since they could not provide what the kids needed. My friend found it easier to move to Ardsley then to schlep all 3 kids back and forth. Both sons are doing extremely well and are thriving. Again, not my personal experience but my friend has had nothing but good things to say about the program.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 AM

506 posts, read 2,279,474 times
Default I agree with jlfcpa

Their are better districts to deal with autism, but no matter where you live you must stay on top of them to make sure you get ALL the services you need. You must use a public school district if your Child needs special Services.... What are your housing needs,, how much are you looking to spend, this will better help us guide you to right community............If you tell us as much as possible about all your needs the better............Good Luck..........

Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 16,662 times
Default dual gifted program

I am interested in finding out about the "dual gifted program" in briarcliff manor"
our son also has attentional and speech issues, yet is very bright.
we are looking to move to westchester from the city and are looking for
a school district with small classes for bright children with special needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County