Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times

Advertisements

Good list, Kate...keep in mind that most of those areas have mtns that rise from, and ring, those town centers, and one can gain elevation easily,
going up the slope, house-site wise. Thus, one can pick up another 500-1000+ feet up the slope.

We live in/above Waynesville, which is listed at "3600", (though I think downtown is more like ~2800), and we live on a ridge at ~5,000 ft.

My point is if one is looking for cooler summer temps, elevation is obviously your friend, though there may be some trade offs at the higher altitudes
in terms of site availabilty, ease of building, services, distance to town, remoteness, etc.

Our temps average ~10 degs cooler, in all seasons, than down in Waynesville, on any given day.
Sorry for the tutorial...just my 50Cts.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM

76 posts, read 223,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Good list, Kate...keep in mind that most of those areas have mtns that rise from, and ring, those town centers, and one can gain elevation easily,
going up the slope, house-site wise. Thus, one can pick up another 500-1000+ feet up the slope.

We live in/above Waynesville, which is listed at "3600", (though I think downtown is more like ~2800), and we live on a ridge at ~5,000 ft.

My point is if one is looking for cooler summer temps, elevation is obviously your friend, though there may be some trade offs at the higher altitudes
in terms of site availabilty, ease of building, services, distance to town, remoteness, etc.

Our temps average ~10 degs cooler, in all seasons, than down in Waynesville, on any given day.
Sorry for the tutorial...just my 50Cts.
GL, mD

Those are all very good points though! If looking for cool air, it helps knowing those things!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I bought (what I thought would be) a summer home in Avery County. I restored an old farmhouse (that was my dream) I never considered renting it and I agree w/ the poster who suggested looking at VRBO....you will see mostly empty calendars. Considering the real estate market and the # of people who NEED to sell, I agree w/ poster who suggested buying an existing home. I fell so deeply in love w/ living here that I've rented my Fl home and enjoy all 4 seasons in the mountains. It was impossible for me to go back to Fl (even in the winter) when I YEARNED to be here Good luck! Find a good Realtor and it is beyond beautiful here!
Hi Livelaughlove, I love your name!
I am in Florida currently (melting) and I like you just YEARN for the mtns! I am an RN and am considering the big move. I have done quite a bit of backpacking/hiking and visiting WNC -Pisgah, Brevard area, Waynesville.
I don't know where Avery county is though?
Can you share any of your process of getting from Fla. to WNC? I know it will be so worth it. Would love to hear about it! Thanks

Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM

451 posts, read 1,566,022 times
North Lakes in Caldwell Co. is only 932 Elevation. Maybe it was just a misprint. This is across the bridge from Hickory. We call this the foothills.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM

23 posts, read 75,043 times
Thanks Catbirds-probably was a typo on the website I found.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,562 times
I don't want to be a thread stealer but here's how I found my 'DREAM HOUSE' I hope others will find it helpful! Basically I didn't have a particular area in mind...I wanted a farmhouse so I searched Realtor...com, Homes and Land, ANY site I could google. It took 2 1/2 years and I finally found something that I felt was worth taking a trip. I worked w/ a FABULOUS Realtor and I didn't like the house I flew up to see but she showed me my farmhouse and as they say....the rest is history!!!! I stopped by my Realtor's office yesterday to share w/ her that it was my 'house anniversary'...LOL....she remembered it was the 1st day of summer Avery County is called the High Country and it's near Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk! Parts of Banner Elk are in Avery County....based on my years of searching and travels I don't think there is a BAD place to live in WNC!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I don't want to be a thread stealer but here's how I found my 'DREAM HOUSE' I hope others will find it helpful! Basically I didn't have a particular area in mind...I wanted a farmhouse so I searched Realtor...com, Homes and Land, ANY site I could google. It took 2 1/2 years and I finally found something that I felt was worth taking a trip. I worked w/ a FABULOUS Realtor and I didn't like the house I flew up to see but she showed me my farmhouse and as they say....the rest is history!!!! I stopped by my Realtor's office yesterday to share w/ her that it was my 'house anniversary'...LOL....she remembered it was the 1st day of summer Avery County is called the High Country and it's near Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk! Parts of Banner Elk are in Avery County....based on my years of searching and travels I don't think there is a BAD place to live in WNC!!!! GOOD LUCK!
that sounds incredible. is it permisable to tell me who your wonderful realtor is?
I agree, there seems to be so many nice placed to choose from. I am usually the type of person who knows exactly what she wants and has no problem making a decision. But my head is spinning with all the choices.

I have two trips planned this summer, but i really think a detailed search will take longer than i have planned. But people like you and a few others on here inspire me that my dream can happen with proper planning.

I am not rich, but I do have a marketable job and am flexible and adventurous, and motiviated. I have been dreaming/plotting my escape to WNC for a while!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
There are some great prices on homes and condos in the Boone area right now. Don't rule out Ashe County, either, or something across the line in TN.

I have heard the rental market (for skiiers) is spotty at best, but vacationers in general from Oct to May could bring in some extra income on occasion. I wouldn't count on it as a way to offset many expenses, especially if you use a rental company (and I certainly would use a professional company with being out of town).

Check with several real estate agencies and see what they come up with. You may be very surprised at how reasonable it is to buy something as opposed to building a new property.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 AM

29 posts, read 99,497 times
Unfortunately, NC mountain land is getting way too developed, congested, and overpriced. Unbridled development from people coming from out of state is ruining a way of life for the people who are from here. If you want to save money, I guarantee you can find much cheaper mountain land in the surrounding states. It's a free country, but the land sure ain't.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 AM

23 posts, read 75,043 times
I am not interested in looking into surrounding states, but thank you for the great advice cornbread. I would rather pay more for a nice piece of property in North Carolina. I have talked to people living in TN and WV and with the drive times and their opinions of the areas, I will stick to NC.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-25-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina