Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,077 times

Advertisements

Before I would ever consider moving to Spruce Pine I look at what happened to Sarah Carpenter at the Pinebridge center.I used to think that this town was safe,that everyone looked out for everyone but I was wrong.Little Sarah was allowed into a pool when she didnt know how to swim.Her so called "caretakers" knew that she didnt know how to swim and yet they put her into a pool. Now we all know not to trust ANYONE with your child. People say theyll take "good care" of them and "keep them safe" but they just say that to get you out of their face. Little Sarah was only 6 years old and she had just celebrated her birthday on Christmas,she was too young to have been ripped out of our lives. We loved her very much and miss her deeply.
Claudia Pittman says it was a " routine rescue",if that were the case,Sarah would still be here. Claudia didnt even go to Sarah's funeral to pay her respects. People dont even care that this happened,why not? Why is Pinebridge still open? They should be shut down and never allowed to reopen. Someone should pay. This shouldnt have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,963 times
Default Comments are out of line

I think your comments are out of line. How you can say that Spruce Pine is not a safe place because of an accident! Claudia never meant for that to happen. She was trying to offer children a fun activity that a lot of their parents would never have done. I commend her for taking the time to care about the kids enough to plan such a big event. The accident was a tragedy and she is devastated. Can you imagine having that on your shoulders? She probably would have attended the funeral but didn't know what to do and how people would fell with her being there. I see how you feel about it and I don't even know if you are family to the little girl. I think you need to think before you speak! Put yourself in her shoes and see what a slap in the face it is when you are only trying to offer entertainment for children in the area.

Spruce Pine is one of the safest places I have ever been. Don't let comments like this one's decide whether you will come to visit or live in our beautiful area!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,288 times
Default Poplar Township

Hey folks! I'm looking at a secluded mountain home up in the Poplar Township of Mitchell County. It's on a secluded road called "The Lower Lane" that branches off of Poplar Creek Road and I'm having trouble locating it on a map, the exact coordinates. I've been shopping online while deployed so I haven't been on the ground to see it, and am trying to get an idea exactly where it sits on Google Earth before I come home and take a look at it. If anyone familiar with the area can point it out on a map for me, or give me Lat/Longs for the road on Google Earth or other map it would be of a tremendous help.

I grew up in Western Upstate NY on a farm so I'm hoping the same conservative values hold true in this rural area as well. Upstate NY is much more conservative/small town family values but is constantly oppressed by the kooks in Albany/NYC and their laws. Aside from values, walking out my back door to go hunting and target shooting was as easy as breathing, responsibly of course. I tell people about that ability and it astonishes them, I'm just hoping this area in NC is of the same mindset as what I grew up with and am looking to continue to live in. God, Guns, and Freedom.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 10,418 times
Mitchell Co is beautiful. Drawback is there is no work. If you are an 'outsider' it will take time to fit in. Just remember everyone is related somehow!

I moved from Burnsville (Yancey co) 1.5 years ago. I miss the small town and the privacy of living back in.

Schools are decent, average, with very little motivation. If you are 'Progressive' they have management programs.

Politics are Democrat

A pretty good community college that is growing

You'll find a lot of domestic abuse still very prevalent.

Large % on welfare programs

Tourism has died down but will pick up considerably when the new highway - to the dismay of locals - goes through the area from Asheville to Linville below Grandfather mtn.

Mitchell Co has a high Art community with a wonderful art tour 2x a year.

Mainly protestant, one Catholic church, I'm not aware of any other religious organizations.

It just became a wet county allowing alcohol to be sold in stores.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,716 times
Thumbs up uknownothing

OK I was there you dont know anything, the parrents had to know about the swimming that night cause there where posters every where and she was staying the night, so that means that when they read the papper it said every one of the activities where included, and it DID half to be payed for so who payed for it? she didnt just walk in. and pinebridge was not given any thing to them about the little girl not knowing how to swim, and I happen to know that the lifeguards put lifejackets and flotties on all of the kids who they had knowlege of that did not know how to swim, you say they do not care about some one elses life.... Did you know that there where three lifeguards on deck, two regestered nurses in the water right next to her when she drowned I know you didnt know that.. or you wouldt have said what you did. and the people who did not go to her funeral was at a counceling session for what had happened cause it has ruined there lives in ways no one else will ever know. I do fill very sorry for that little girls parrents terrably sorry, but I can say that the people that where there that night tried every thing they could to keep that little girl alive. It was a freak accident and it sucked but the pine bridge cinter was a good place and they did alot for who ever they could. I have no close relation to the people who own pine bridge this is not to cover any ones butt, but this is what happened. take it or leave it!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 11,982 times
Cool spruce pine

Moved here about five years ago from Fla, this has to be the worse winter yet all other winters had a small amount of snow.I grew up in Bklyn NY,Found a beautiful old log home from the late 1800,s. 3.2 acres, no traffic,no noise,no people,12 miles from Walmart,I work in Asheville three days. The summers are great. No ac needed,I get my water from a Spring that flows thru my property. This log home was built by PROF CHARLES HALLECK WING.He started the first library book mobile in Mitchell County.It was moved from the town of Ledger to Spruce Pine here in Mitchell county around 1970.It has two floors most of the logs are original.There are six rooms all the same size 16x20,Everything is either logs or hardwood no painting here.I thru in a picture of one of my cars that i picked up in Asheville last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody have any information about Mitchell County?-4478_1174258275518_1199907788_481888_540873_nma27460016-0002.jpg   Anybody have any information about Mitchell County?-4478_1174326237217_1199907788_482298_4051835_nma27460016-0004.jpg   Anybody have any information about Mitchell County?-033ma26496499-0082.jpg   Anybody have any information about Mitchell County?-5017_1202659865540_1199907788_582790_2770126_nma27460016-0006.jpg  

Last edited by yutz; 02-02-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 11,982 times
Cool life in spruce pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewingate4 View Post
I worked in Spruce Pine for many summers, and always wanted to live there. Is there anyone on here from there, or nearby, that could give me some information on what it is like to actually live there? Have looked at Burnsville and Bakersville as well. Thanks!
I like it here nice people everybody is friendly no crime.(few druggies) has 24 hour walmart , theres a music jewelry and loan pawn shop where you can have your jewelry repaired by a professional.(thats me ,lol) nice thrift stores, restaurants,theres even a classic car club, plenty of gem stores where you can mine for jewels. indoor flea mkts,would like to see a movie theater,bowling alley,pool room,arcade, we now sell HARD BOOZE after 30 years of trying.(ABC)

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
I am Sarah Carpenters paternal grandmother. My son and I were not notified of her going to the above mentioned event that took her life. Her grandmother on her mothers side is the one who let her attend so apparently she wasn't paying attention to the paper and the posters. Since this is a website for a PLACE, not a person, we would appreciate it if you would refrain from using Sarah as an example of whether a place is safe to live in or not. This was a very unfortunate accident and our family has to live with it every day. Please let my granddaughter rest in peace.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM

118 posts, read 234,866 times
We are in the Buladean area of Mitchell County. We love this place. Yes, it's remote, but we like country living. We can be in either Spruce Pine or Burnsville in less than 30 minutes or 20 minutes to Unicoi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina