Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 AM

45 posts, read 90,387 times

Advertisements

Our family is planning a trip to a resort in Lake Lure in February. Can anyone offer any suggestions of fun things to do or see in the area in the winter. We are traveling with children ranging from 3 to 11. We think the kids might be a little bored with Biltmore. We may see if there is any snow tubing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
It is going to be quite chilly.

You could take the kids to the Kids Senses Museum in Rutherfordton.
In the winter there isn't a lot to do up that way, except Kids Senses, Biltmore
or maybe go ski??

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
You can visit Chimney Rock State Park but access is limited due to renovations. The lower trails are open but The Chimney is closed.

Sugar and Beech Mtns are about 1:30-1:45 minutes away.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM

45 posts, read 90,387 times
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will definitely check into the kids museam and get more info on Chimney Rock State Park. I appreciate the info. Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
There's a whole lotta nothin' going on out there in February. The best that I could come up with is the Carousel in Shelby, which is very limited hours & days in the winter, & wouldn't be worth the gas money to get to it.

On the off chance that this includes Valentines Day, there are carriage rides & something with the carousel in Shelby.

Really, for February, I think that you'd enjoy yourself a lot more at this B & B The Inn of the Patriots Bed and Breakfast Hotel in the countryside of Charlotte, North Carolina. Call 1-704-937-2940 It's close enough to things that will be open, regardless of weather, in NC & SC.

Maybe people in Asheville know something that we don't. You could try asking on that board.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
If you think they will be bored at Biltmore, don't even consider Lake Lure. It's a summer area, everything there is closed in the winter. If you want winter tourist area, head up to Blowing Rock, Boone, or the ski areas. Otherwise, wait until summer.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
^ Agreed. And no, us Asheville people don't know anything either. Because there isn't anything. Winter in WNC (except the High Country around Blowing Rock, Boone, etc.) is a very still time. I love it in Asheville in the winter actually, because the town is so calm with most people being scared away by the cold temperatures and winds. It's nice to be able to go to a downtown restaurant (Barley's, for example) and still be able to hear yourself think.

I think the people suggesting the High Country are on the money. Check out Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk. Those are more winter-oriented tourist towns, since they are close to the ski mountains. If you don't ski, well, maybe come learn or something. I have never skied in my life, but I am planning to learn this winter. Should be fun, even though I'll probably be really sore afterwards.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Agree with all posters above: LL in 'winter' is not exactly the tourism center of western NC: it is really quite low in elevation and chance of real snow in that area is slim. And, it is more of a summer seasonal area. It will be quiet...
The Asheville Nature Center is interesting in warmer season, though it may be a half day trip even in winter, as it is open year round. Kids like it, adults like, some good exercise walking around...
Asheville / WNC Nature Center

Tubing is ok, at the higher elevation areas, though very temperature dependent even for the spots with snow making equipment.
Here are a couple, but they are west of LL in Maggie Valley/Waynesville, and a good 45 mins+ from LL.
GL, mD

Snow Tubing - Cataloochee Ski Area, Maggie Valley NC

Snow Tubing in Maggie Valley North Carolina

Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Tubing is ok, at the higher elevation areas, though very temperature dependent even for the spots with snow making equipment.
Here are a couple, but they are west of LL in Maggie Valley/Waynesville, and a good 45 mins+ from LL.

More like 1 hr 30min+ from LL to Waynesville, at least. Especially if you are unfamilier with driving in the mountains.

There are three roads leaving Lake Lure that you can use to get to the Asheville area. After you drive through Chimmy Rock/ Bat Cave you will come to an intersection where you can play "pick a door!". All three of them are 2 lane roads and require going up and down steep grades, with multiple curves. Hwy 64 to I-26 is the easist route, but longer to get to Asheville. Hwy 74 is the most direct route but is much curvier and the curves last longer. Hwy 9 would take you to Black Mountain then I-40 to Asheville, but is also very curvy and longer than the other 2 routes.

Plus, being Feburary, you may well run into inclement weather. With the track record we've been having so far this winter and all that. Last year we had an ice storm and I drove through this area a week afterwards. They were still cutting trees out of the road and picking up downed power lines on these roads.

LL will be dead as a doornail at that time of year. Almost every single shop for miles will be closed.

I would *strongly* recommend that if you can cancel, even if you have to pay a slight fee to do so, that you do and rebook something closer to Asheville or to a winter sport area if that's what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Just curious, what "resort" in Lake Lure would be open in February?

To the OP: you might want to head down the mountains to Greenville SC, more to see, more to do. The Barnum & Bailey Circus will be at The Peace Center in Greenville during February. Also things going on at the Bi-Lo Center. Greenville is a nice ride from Asheville, quicker from Hendersonville. Hendersonville has a neat children's place called "Hands On" where there are arts & crafts on a daily basis downtown.

Rethink it, the area is humming between April and end of October. After that.... we knit, read, or play in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina