Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I have looked all over North GA and Western NC for a mountain or lake home. If we go lake we think we would go with Rabun or Burton in GA. We have also been considering mountain areas as long as there would be stuff for our three boys to do.

We live in Atlanta and plan on using the house pretty much every weekend.
We are wondering is the Highlands-Cashiers area or Boone area better? How much snow does each place get in the winter? We would like a couple storms. We saw a farm in Cashiers(Norton Area)(I think the address may officially be Cullowhee) that we liked. The land was nice, and we could add a pool and tennis court.
Thanks,
Ben

We are kind of worried that going all the way to Boone every weekend could get annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:02 PM

25 posts, read 77,282 times
GLS
If some of your reasoning is to escape the Atl heat then Highlands/Cashiers will do that, both these areas are pricey.We have a place 8 miles north of Cashiers(Glenville area)Prices are more moderate.Lake Glenville(might be Thorpe reservoir on a map) is quite beautiful,and would fill your needs.We are 2.5 hours from Atlanta.Boone is probably another 2 hours at least.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
I grew up having friends who would take me to their lake houses (pretty much every weekend), and I can tell you, Boone is just too far for what you want. Even if you lived in Helen or something it would be too far. Highlands/Cashiers is good for escaping the heat, but like that ^ person said, it's very expensive, and it can be very snooty. Like, I was there visiting my aunt (who is a year round resident, a rare thing in Highlands), and I wanted something cool, like a nice piece of folk art from Appalachia or something... all I could find was these super-expensive antique shops filled with all kinds of super-expensive tea kettles and what not... just not my thing. I honestly don't know how my aunt can stand it; she could afford to just move out to somewhere like here and build way up high and get the same thing, only better. Oh well, not everyone thinks like I do.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times
Hi,
Thanks for the information! We have decided to eliminate Boone because we have thought about it, and we like Highlands more! Also the drive would be annoying when I used to make the drive or fly to Rosemary Beach it was horrible.

Do you guys think one of the lakes(Rabun or Burton specifically) or Highlands is better?

We have three sons so we want stuff for them to do. When we think about the fun we could have on the lake we think it is the better choice, but when we look at Highlands we love the restaurants, shopping, tennis, and golf it becomes the better choice! We are still even considering Sea Island but not as much because of the distance from Atlanta. I wish we could just decide!
Thanks,
Ben

Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the information! We have decided to eliminate Boone because we have thought about it, and we like Highlands more! Also the drive would be annoying when I used to make the drive or fly to Rosemary Beach it was horrible.
Do you guys think one of the lakes(Rabun or Burton specifically) or Highlands is better?
We have three sons so we want stuff for them to do. When we think about the fun we could have on the lake we think it is the better choice, but when we look at Highlands we love the restaurants, shopping, tennis, and golf it becomes the better choice! We are still even considering Sea Island but not as much because of the distance from Atlanta. I wish we could just decide!
Thanks,
Ben
Highlands or Cashiers hands down. Rabun is just not cool enough in the summer. And it is not as pretty either!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
It's a complicated choice. If you drive around the lakes in Rabun County, it's absolutely beautiful and charming ... but lakefront is much more expensive there than lakefront where I live in Hiawassee. Then again, the lake houses generally have more character in Rabun County - there are some of the most extravagantly built lake homes you will ever see there. Lots of Atlanta money.

I really like the lake area in Rabun County far more than I like Clayton itself. Also the land north of Clayton going up to the GA/NC border is nice too. As far as snow, it depends on what altitude your property is. The Continental Divide goes through Rabun County, so there are high properties available there, but not on the lakes.

There is no lake in Highlands remotely like the lakes in Rabun County. In Cashiers, you have Lake Glenville, which is comparable in cost to the lakes in Rabun County. You could frequent the restaurants and shops in both Highlands and Cashiers.

Another option is Bear Lake Reserve in Cullowhee, NC. North Carolina Land for Sale It's just down the road from Cashiers, but it's far less costly for lake property than the other choices. I'm not sure if the houses are lakefront or only lake access. You'd be in decent driving distance to Cashiers and Highlands.

And finally, if you wanted to go a bit further east on Highway 64, there is the Lake Sapphire and Lake Toxaway areas. Very pricey, but close to Brevard with all it's outdoor activities and waterfalls, plus still in driving distance of Cashiers and Highlands.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 10-26-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 PM

25 posts, read 77,282 times
Ben,
Bear Lake Reserve is one of the several large developements that is struggling,but is hanging on(actually in Tuckaseegee).It is very remote but beautiful.They have a drop dead georgous 9 hole golf course(mountain top)Bear lake is nice but not near the size of Lake Glenville.Don't know your budget but would highly recommend a few visits to the area.Stay near Cashiers and you can easily explore all the areas mentioned.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM

58 posts, read 131,921 times
Highlands hands down!!! Also i saw where someone posted (not on this thread I think) that the town closes shop form October to March. Not true. Maybe more like November to February. Trust me you will will love it.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
How is the service range of internet providers in the Boone area? Is DSL or satellite internet common in more rural areas or is broadband in most spots in Watauga county? Thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 85,959 times
Not impressed with the highlands/cashiers area. Every single mountain around has been uglied up with development. Highlands is the richest zip code in the state of NC and people driving around fancy volvo's and BMW's, wearing fur coats. Ew, wears the charm in that? I like me a real town with some working people not a town thats just one big commercialized hub for part-time residents. But hey you know, keep it down in Highlands/ Cashiers! Just hope no other town in WNC turns out like them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina