Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 7,161 times

Advertisements

I agree with the folks that call the area "one of the most pet friendly" - it is in my experience. There are several dedicated rescues, etc. People welcome pets to restaurants, outdoor patios, etc. I agree also with the folks who point out that having pets come with responsibilities - including deposits that insure landlords are covered for damages. (and we all know that happens - many times). Keep your head up and stay motivated. Where else can you take your dog(s) into a store with you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Just walk downtown, everyone is walking their dogs. Many of the restaurants are pet friendly. Asheville is very pet friendly.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
My husband and I have rented out an apartment in our place for years and didn't even get a pet deposit, but we have found that in the Asheville area, where supposedly it is so animal friendly, we can't find one place that doesn't charge at least $250.00 per pet. This is so greedy in my opinion, and totally unfair. This is going to create so many animals being left for abandonment, and "lucky" ones to be put down in shelters. I am disappointed and disheartened that Asheville is like this.
The people that own and run apartment complex's are not Asheville. The actual owner may not even live here, but simply have a management company run it.

They are in business to make a profit, and that also requires that they protect their investment. The blame should not be placed on Asheville, but on the irresponsible pet owners that make it simply smart business to require pet deposits.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Just walk downtown, everyone is walking their dogs. Many of the restaurants are pet friendly. Asheville is very pet friendly.
Agreed. Too many friends have voiced their dismay at how pet-unfriendly some pretty hip and progressive areas of Oregon has become. At least since I left. Ashland, Eugene. Both are cracking down hard regarding dogs, on leashes, remaining a certain distance from parks and eateries with outside seating. Some say you can barely walk the streets of "downtown" Ashland, OR without getting harassed by the police.

Many of the street festivals (can't speak for Bele Chere since I don't go...) will advertise NO DOGS in the paper, and at the entrances of said festival, but you'll see a ton of them there once you arrive. The cops simply are out-numbered to enforce it. They try, but it just ain't going to happen. So with that - I'd say Asheville is pretty darn pet-friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The people that own and run apartment complex's are not Asheville. The actual owner may not even live here, but simply have a management company run it.

They are in business to make a profit, and that also requires that they protect their investment. The blame should not be placed on Asheville, but on the irresponsible pet owners that make it simply smart business to require pet deposits.
Yup!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM

221 posts, read 461,913 times
Even when they do enforce the no-dog policy at street festivals, it's often in the form of free dogsitting on the edges of the festival, run by volunteers. And some of the nicer restaurants not only don't discourage dogs on their patios, they actually put out water dishes on hot days. Asheville does love its pets.

(Though I have to say that even as an animal lover I draw the line at doctor's offices. I visited one doctor who had brought her husky to work with her because it wasn't feeling well. After having my blood pressure taken with a dog head in my lap, I switched to a different practice).

Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 14,842 times
we are retired and live in asheville.we could not find any rental home that took dogs.we lucked out and found a home in the country that has 2 acers.we love it here.and we are close to town.just keep looking.asheville is so dog friendly.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
I visited one doctor who had brought her husky to work with her because it wasn't feeling well. After having my blood pressure taken with a dog head in my lap, I switched to a different practice.
You mean the dog's head in your lap didn't lower your blood pressure?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
I agree that $250 (assuming it is a deposit, not a charge) is not unreasonable when you're talking about an uncaged animal like a dog or cat. It's just true that animals can and often do cause damage ('going' on the carpets, scratching walls or floors, etc.). It's not because the apartment owners are hostile to pets, allowing them at all shows they're not, it's just business sense. And it's certainly not an indicator of the surrounding city. In fact, I've never been to another town with so many pet friend restaurants, shops, etc.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times
Asheville is one of the dog friendliest places I have seen.

love when I see people sitting around the fire pits in biltmore park in the middle of the winter, their dogs right next to them (123 main e.g.)

we are renting a house to a family with a dog and asked for 250 dollar extra deposit. IF they would run down the place and the wood floors were badly damaged, the extra costs will not even be covered half by this amount of money. but IF they raised and treat their dog well, they will get their deposit back. what's the big deal about it ?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
We just talked to a man with a house to rent. His previous tenant trashed the place, and he is working on the house every day to get it back into shape.

The floors have been pushed up in places where he thinks her dog left puddles while she was out of town. There is nothing he can do but replace either the whole floor or parts of it. That will surely cost him more than any pet deposit.

He already replaced the whole floor in the hallway. Somehow, $250 doesn't cover all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina