Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM

252 posts, read 474,367 times

Advertisements

Here's another one--If you visit or move to this magically beautiful area, Don't Litter!! I'm so disgusted by all the trash I see along the roadsides. I hate to say it, but I'm guessing it's mostly the locals who litter, that take for granted their land & don't appreciate it. But if you do come here, don't even THINK about adding to that roadside trash. We don't need more!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
We also can pretty much figure out where you're from if you have little tolerance for drivers who don't jump off a traffic light in a nano second when it turns green! No matter what tags are on your car, that is a dead giveaway that you came from a high stress fast-paced area.

Please resist the urge to blow car horns here. And we don't give that nasty hand signal either.

Other than moving over for emergency vehicles, we are in no big hurry.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM

113 posts, read 276,444 times
Excellent topic and great posts!

We moved here 7 years ago. Even in our very small and close-knit community, I never felt like an "outsider". Here's what I think helped us assimilate:

1. Get involved. Its good for the community, is a great chance to meet folks with similar values, and demonstrates your commitment to become neighbors rather than vacationers.

2. Slow down. If you're in a hurry, you will be frustrated (and frustrating to others). This applies to most everything (driving, shopping, scheduling work, etc.). The slower pace was the biggest adjustment for us. Now, we're grateful for it. The proverbial roses have never been sweeter now that we stop to smell them.

3. Listen and learn. The old timers have a ton of wisdom about the area. The history and customs are only the tip of the iceberg. They were conservationists before it was cool.

4. Keep perspective. Remember that in some communities, the natives have been friends since they were toddlers. For folks that grow up in such a close-knit environment, a newcomer's desire to make friends isn't something that always occurs to them. From our experience, it is rarely unfriendliness - just a totally different frame of reference. In other words, you might have to break the ice from time-to-time. It's OK. As noted previously, we have yet to be bitten when inviting locals over for supper.

5. Buy Local / Use Cash. Many local merchants are really supportive of the schools and community. It means a lot to thank them for their support while giving them some of your business. Of course, using cash helps them avoid banking fees and keeps even more money local. This past Christmas, I shopped exclusively in local stores. It was the first time that I actually ENJOYED Christmas shopping! I think it'll be a new tradition.

6. Share your talents. In the rural areas especially, there is a lot of neighbor helping neighbor. Its a nice way to live.

Best of luck to you in your eventual move! As others have noted, I can tell from your posts that you'll fit in just fine and will be an asset wherever you go!

Opt-Out

Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,633,686 times
I'd tell them to start a business and create jobs and stay half-aware of what's going on in local politics.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Opt-Out, thanks for the bullet points. What are some of the favorite causes or movements or even community efforts in WNC to get involved in?

Slowing down will probably be the hardest for me, one of my faults is impatience and I always have to keep a lid on it. However, I would like to take things a little easier and I will welcome it. Having lived in the Northeast and in Florida, most of the time it's rush, rush, hurry, hurry. Yes, even in FLA, because all the northern transplants bring that vibe with them.

I'm pretty good at reaching out to others and I don't get offended easily when not invited to things, so I won't worry much about being excluded, it takes time.

Of all of these, I think BUY LOCAL is key. Living in Florida, nothing's more annoying than a tourist or snowbird who comes into a place of business (like a shop), stumbles around gawking and doesn't drop a little cash. Cash is always greatly appreciated.

QC, I hate being honked out, so I know what you mean.

dhanu, good points. Anyone have a feel for what sort of businesses are needed in WNC? Have people said "Wow, we really need a _________ around here?" And, any comments on local politics? (Any local politics, not just Asheville and Buncombe County). I agree, it's good to be aware, zoning can change at the drop of a hat, and other stuff.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Opt-Out, thanks for the bullet points. What are some of the favorite causes or movements or even community efforts in WNC to get involved in?

Slowing down will probably be the hardest for me, one of my faults is impatience and I always have to keep a lid on it. However, I would like to take things a little easier and I will welcome it. Having lived in the Northeast and in Florida, most of the time it's rush, rush, hurry, hurry. Yes, even in FLA, because all the northern transplants bring that vibe with them.

I'm pretty good at reaching out to others and I don't get offended easily when not invited to things, so I won't worry much about being excluded, it takes time.

Of all of these, I think BUY LOCAL is key. Living in Florida, nothing's more annoying than a tourist or snowbird who comes into a place of business (like a shop), stumbles around gawking and doesn't drop a little cash. Cash is always greatly appreciated.

QC, I hate being honked out, so I know what you mean.

dhanu, good points. Anyone have a feel for what sort of businesses are needed in WNC? Have people said "Wow, we really need a _________ around here?" And, any comments on local politics? (Any local politics, not just Asheville and Buncombe County). I agree, it's good to be aware, zoning can change at the drop of a hat, and other stuff.

Kmarc and family: give us a few hours before your arrival so we can plan a welcoming party! We'll leave the lights on.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM

113 posts, read 276,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Most of our community involvement is related to our kids, through their schools, youth league sports, community theater, scouting, etc.

Some of my other favorites include:

"Operation Feed a Child" which puts together take-home packages for food-insecure kids in the local area.

The "NC High Peaks Trail Association" hosts some really good trail maintenance opportunities and fun hikes.

The local animal rescue orgs are always in need of and happy to have volunteers.

As you get closer to Asheville, there's pretty much anything you can imagine.

Last edited by Opt-Out; 02-23-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Any volunteer opportunities working with the elderly? I'm not talking about dementia care, I'm not skilled enough for that, but outings, dr. visits, shopping, assistance, that sort of thing?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt-Out View Post
The local animal rescue orgs are always in need of and happy to have volunteers.
Brother Wolf is an amazing organization. They have a very active Facebook page and are always looking for volunteers!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
One request though; You could lavish us with gifts.

We like blue buttons and shiny buckles.
Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina