Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I always feel as if I'm an outcast because there is just one city-data forum for WNC and it mainly covers Asheville and Hendersonville. Since WNC covers a vast area, I understand why it's difficult for someone to recommend any one town. Murphy is as different from Franklin as Franklin is from Hendersonville and there are many towns in-between.
LOL... and when you throw in Spruce Pine, Banner Elk, Boone, Todd, W. Jefferson, and Sparta (to name only a few more), WNC becomes even more vast. justNancy, if you feel like an outcast in Macon County, imagine how we feel in the northwestern corner of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,858 times
Just wondering why no forum for Boone area, too small? Does seem posters from places farther out from "greater" Asheville area are not represented. Maybe a spot for North Georgia/far west NC is needed they seem to have much in common. BTW love that area go through it often as we travel to Athens, Ga to see our son. Think someone suggested original poster check out Franklin NC could also look at Clayton Ga. just down 441.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Just wondering why no forum for Boone area, too small? Does seem posters from places farther out from "greater" Asheville area are not represented. Maybe a spot for North Georgia/far west NC is needed they seem to have much in common. BTW love that area go through it often as we travel to Athens, Ga to see our son. Think someone suggested original poster check out Franklin NC could also look at Clayton Ga. just down 441.
Clayton is a sweet town. So is Toccoa, a teensy bit larger. Want to be in the GA mountains, there is also Elijay (awesome views), Young Harris (a bit isolated but pretty), and that general area. Right over the border in NC you will find Brasstown, a whistle stop intersection, gorgeous views, peaceful. Franklin, meh. Waynesville is where you will find a combination of all the above.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Quote:
Just wondering why no forum for Boone area, too small? Does seem posters from places farther out from "greater" Asheville area are not represented. Maybe a spot for North Georgia/far west NC is needed they seem to have much in common.
To answer your question within the context of WNC, all areas of WNC are included in this sub-forum. It's simply a matter of more active posters and interest in the greater Asheville area. Even though Boone and the rest of the High Country may seem to not have much in common with the Asheville area, periodically there are posters who have an interest in "the mountains" and are willing to entertain suggestions containing a wide swath of WNC, such as the OP of this thread.

It would be awfully confining, or too much of a niche, to have too many sub-forums within the various states on C-D. C-D's system is not perfect but it seems to work relatively well considering the broad interests and perspectives of the various members.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:40 PM

146 posts, read 139,661 times
You may look in the Lenoir and Happy Valley areas of Caldwell County where land is less expensive but you would have access to the Blowing Rock tourist market.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
There's not a specific forum for Wilmington, either. It just goes in "coastal". There's no subforum at all for Fayetteville.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:50 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
I think Franklin is beautiful, and the views are breathtaking, but we all have different tastes. Anyway, since others have mentioned NE Georgia towns, I guess it's okay to write that I thought Dahlonega had one of the nicest downtown areas, although it gets crowded with tourists on the weekends. It doesn't have the mountain views that we have in WNC, but it's a lively college town and I felt very safe walking around at night.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times
East of 26 in Hendersonville.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 PM

204 posts, read 202,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
You may look in the Lenoir and Happy Valley areas of Caldwell County where land is less expensive but you would have access to the Blowing Rock tourist market.
Couldn't agree more! We bought a house on 5 acres for under 200K about one year ago,we live about 15 minutes from Lenoir and 20 minutes from Blowing Rock,I'm an Artist as well but I sell most of my art at different galleries.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,866 times
I think you can find exactly what you are looking for in Avery County. Good luck and happy searching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina