Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:45 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,181 times

Advertisements

But .... when they choose their home, or their piece of land, they know they are going to be far away from these alleged conveniences. Yet, at the risk of ruining what they came here for, they forge ahead with their selfish wants and needs. Once it becomes too much traffic, too much whatever, they're on to the next pristine place -- and the beat goes on. They don't "assimilate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 AM

283 posts, read 1,290,928 times
"They don't assimilate". -- Well said and true, Annie.

The best thing that folks can do if they decide to move here is enjoy the land, enjoy the locals and be respectful of them both, as they were here long before they were.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:38 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I saw a bumper sticker last week that read: "One home for EVERYONE before TWO homes for ANYONE". Perfectly stated.
I want one. Seriously, if anyone knows where to find these let me know so I can stock up on them.

There is a home near Lake Adger that looks more like the Biltmore House than a regular house. I don't know how many times I've been by it and I've yet to see someone there. Conspicuous consumption at its finest.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
How sad. What's wrong with buying an older home and enjoy the land it has around it? I just don't get it. The bigger the better...the more the merrier? Why don't they just go to the big cities and leave the land and beauty to those who appreciate it. I will be moving to NC this Saturday from CA and the last thing I want is one of those track homes that all look the same and they have to remove half of the forrest to develope it. May as well stay in CA if that's what they want. And I agree...you don't move some place to try and change the locals..you learn to live the way they do and love it!!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM

45 posts, read 159,516 times
This development looks like Reynolds Mtn in Weaverville/Woodfin/Asheville area.

It is asolutely insane.

I just received a postcard from this company out of Texas and I found
this site.

The pictures are worth more than anyone can say.

What do these developers think will happen? Their webpage is a joke.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM

45 posts, read 159,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Oh, I dunno. Roads ARE a whole lot better now, thank goodness. But the areas I'm familiar with (Spruce Pine, Bakersville, Burnsville) are still pretty undeveloped. In fact, the factories are shutting down (thanks a lot, NAFTA) and these places are shrinking. My relatives still have their accents, and I doubt most of them know what Starbucks is.
But would you allow some developer from another state come into Spruce
Pine and shear off a mountain side?

I used to work at the hospital there. I enjoyed it except for the distance.

The newcomers that are buying into these developments are going to
destroy the roads. And if you live in Spruce Pine you may not be able to
get to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

You are native to this area. I have lived in WNC for 30 + years. I have tried
to maintain the natural scenery.

Now all the developers are destroying the views.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,566 times
Default WNC overdevelopment

I discovered an ad in the USA Today last Friday that is a beautiful full color half page picture of the PRETTY side of Chocolate Drop Mountain. The text offered 2-5 acre lots for $89,000 and up. The ad ran the previous Friday as well. Is anyone out there brave enough (and rich enough) to do a "rebuttal" ad with the real view?.....(Is that even "legal"?)
This particular developer has no idea how it's done in the mountains, obviously. He is from Florida. 'Nuff said .....His rapaciousness is the worst example I've seen in Polk County but we KNOW there are more to come.
Jackson County has gotten a 5 month moratorium on new subdivisions. Hooray for them!!!!! Polk County has a new group working on ways to slow the development. No real public announcements from them as yet.
The real problem is that the owners of all these beautiful plots of land are selling to developers. What can be done about that? Nothing that I know of. It all looks hopeless to me-so sad, so sad to watch the mindless destruction of one of the most pristine areas of the United States.....

Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
[quote=Green Aire Elfwitch;535727]I discovered an ad in the USA Today last Friday that is a beautiful full color half page picture of the PRETTY side of Chocolate Drop Mountain. The text offered 2-5 acre lots for $89,000 and up. The ad ran the previous Friday as well. Is anyone out there brave enough (and rich enough) to do a "rebuttal" ad with the real view?.....(Is that even "legal"?)

You don't have to look at a USA Today ad; it's on the front of this very page itself and if I was looking to move to NC and saw THOSE pictures (in the ad) I'd be there tomorrow....it's showing absolutely stunning mountain vistas and homes with all the amenities.......it's just baiting the rich northerners to come a-running......I hope you natives have some say in what's going on because you apparently have a greed problem down there that is going to tear up your lovely state in a hurry

Old 04-04-2007, 03:59 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,181 times
It already has, like a runaway freight train heading directly at us. As someone else once said, "when you open the floodgates, it's very hard to close them".

We have attempted to rely on the County Commissioners and elected officials, but they are seeing green these days. It's pathetic.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
"when you open the floodgates, it's very hard to close them".

I really feel for you guys and I'm a Yankee ...from the pics I'm seeing, your landscape is very similar to my upstate (as in "NOT NYC" LOL) with the rolling mountain ranges and untouched land and that is what makes the life great for me...NYC? For a weekend visit and then it's home to the hills....it must be sooooo frustrating for you all to witness the demolishment of land that will never be the same again. I guess the deep pockets call it progress; in reality, it's a travesty....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina