Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,611 times

Advertisements

I just resigned from teaching in Louisiana and am going to move to Williston. There is a man here who works for Alpha Gas who is going to try to get me on with him. BUT if it falls through, ARE THERE actually a ton of jobs there for educated single men with a clean record and no CDL??? I make 50 grand a year here in the warm and live in my own home. I would be moving for the money. Worked in Minnesota before on pipeline. What is the difference in an oil field job and a pipeline job. Seems like they would go hand in hand.

Last edited by Count David; 12-15-2011 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Changed "Willington" to Williston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,611 times
North. Is Bismark or Minot a better choice?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclinta View Post
I just resigned from teaching in Louisiana and am going to move to Willington. There is a man here who works for Alpha Gas who is going to try to get me on with him. BUT if it falls through, ARE THERE actually a ton of jobs there for educated single men with a clean record and no CDL??? I make 50 grand a year here in the warm and live in my own home. I would be moving for the money. Worked in Minnesota before on pipeline. What is the difference in an oil field job and a pipeline job. Seems like they would go hand in hand.
I would never quit a decent paying job, for a job that I knew so little about, and had no experience in. I hope that wasn't a mistake on your part. And, start reading all the various threads, lots of them on here about jobs, conditions, lack of housing etc. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 40,438 times
I would not drag a family up with the winter coming on, but if you are single or if you can wait until spring, I think it's an amazing adventure.

Not too many opportunities like this left in the world today. It would not be easy, nor could you expect to get up there, land a job right away and be set for life financially. There is a chance you could fail. But at the end of your life, isn't it a drag to say, "I didn't try because I might have failed." At least you could have attempted it, and even if you didn't achieve what you had hoped, you'd still have had a great adventure.

Housing is really, REALLY hard to come by. It's expensive and the people who live in the area are paying the price for the influx of workers. Even simple travel trailers are going upwards of 1000 dollars a month.

You can get housing out in the man camps though. Peripheral workers can get rooms there as well. Some are kind of cramped - sort of like very tiny dorm rooms, but the food is outstanding! The best ones I've seen are Bakken Residence Suites down by Watford City. They are studio apartments and are pretty much on par with the going rents.

Boy, if you are going in the winter --- get thee some warm undies!!! North Dakotans sure know how to survive the tough climate. Lots and lots of layers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston